We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,636 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Why is that a bad thing?

Well because I am very unlikely to make the support group, so being in the work group now means it will expire after a year (previously I was unaware of a time limit). I qualified for IB under the Youth rules which bypassed the contribution criteria. So now the majority who qualify for ESA Y/ moved from IB via the Youth rules are only getting benefits for a year.

Unless I can make a fresh claim for ESA Income Based after the other one runs out I am screwed, I have no savings.

I'm not sure how else I need to state this?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    Well because I am very unlikely to make the support group, so being in the work group now means it will expire after a year (previously I was unaware of a time limit). I qualified for IB under the Youth rules which bypassed the contribution criteria. So now the majority who qualify for ESA Y/ moved from IB via the Youth rules are only getting benefits for a year.

Unless I can make a fresh claim for ESA Income Based after the other one runs out I am screwed, I have no savings.

I'm not sure how else I need to state this?

Once CB ESA has run out you will be able to claim IB ESA.

Perhaps you would be better to check your understanding, rather than making random comments!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,636 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you go back through the thread I thought I had put everything down.

Thanks for your help, I do hope it turns out that way.
  • Jenny81_2
    Options
    Hello. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was hoping for some clarity from someone who knows! My younger cousin, is 26 and single, unemployed, and lives in a private rented flat. She gets most of her rent paid by I think the DWP? Or the local council, I'm not sure.

Anyway, do the changes to housing benefit mean that she will have to look for a place in a shared house? Or will she have the housing costs that are currently paid for her, lowered to the same level as someone who does live in a shared house? We're in Scotland, incase that makes a difference.
  • hippy-chicy
    Options
    Jenny81 wrote: »
    Hello. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was hoping for some clarity from someone who knows! My younger cousin, is 26 and single, unemployed, and lives in a private rented flat. She gets most of her rent paid by I think the DWP? Or the local council, I'm not sure.

Anyway, do the changes to housing benefit mean that she will have to look for a place in a shared house? Or will she have the housing costs that are currently paid for her, lowered to the same level as someone who does live in a shared house? We're in Scotland, incase that makes a difference.

Its impossible to say at this point.

Until we know how they intend to introduce it or even when its just speculation. There will probably be some sort of protection until there is a break in the claim or the claimant has a change address or it may come into effect on a specific date or the LHA anniversary date. Dont panic just yet, we need to see when this is due to be introduced first.

I am sure all the extra money being put into the DHP fund will come in useful.
    :j
  • Jenny81_2
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I have only just got rid of her from my house! To be fair, she does help me to look after my Mum who lives with me. Her place is in our street, so it looks like she'll have to squash back in here, if these changes do come about. Families eh?
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    janninew wrote: »
    I thought this board was to answer specific questions on benefits, the board guides seem to move a lot of threads which turn into a discussion on benefits policy, yet an official MSE'er (for want of a better word!) starts a thread inviting people to discuss the changings and cuts! Confused.com!!! :rotfl:

Shouldn't this thread be in DT?!

MSE has a habit of not following its own rules.

dont expect a reply if you report the thread, dont expect any board guide to move it, dont expect abuse to act, dont expect the situation to improve any time soon.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • Kyresa
    Kyresa Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    this £30 increase for tax credits? I assume that's £30 over a year and not extra per week? (wishful thinking!)
  • PandaPaws_3
    Options
    Hi guys,

I too, totally panicked when I heard about the changes to housing benefit, thinking it might be immediate and how will I pay the rent?? The following is a link to the official spending review document, on which you can look up the benefit you're worried about and then see how much they are planning to save in each year. The age increase for shared room rates, it seems, will be introduced in 2012, and in my experience with my local council previously, the rules dictate how much you get, not where you live, so I would assume, Jenny81, that your cousin could carry on living alone if she could afford to make up the difference between the rate for a single room and the actual cost of the flat.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/spend_sr2010_easyread.htm
  • flight747
    flight747 Posts: 510 Forumite
    Options
    Kyresa wrote: »
    this £30 increase for tax credits? I assume that's £30 over a year and not extra per week? (wishful thinking!)

You wish it could be £30 per day! Anyway, it actually £30 a year work out £0.625 per week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure