We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Options
    I thought this board was to answer specific questions on benefits, the board guides seem to move a lot of threads which turn into a discussion on benefits policy, yet an official MSE'er (for want of a better word!) starts a thread inviting people to discuss the changings and cuts! Confused.com!!! :rotfl:

Shouldn't this thread be in DT?!
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Options
    managed to listen to most of the anticipated and dreaded spending review, as my phone rang I thought I heard him mention EMA, might have misheard maybe.. anyone have any idea if there are any planned changes to this please.

Its being scrapped.
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • justmel
    justmel Posts: 264 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2010 at 8:11PM
    Options
    managed to listen to most of the anticipated and dreaded spending review, as my phone rang I thought I heard him mention EMA, might have misheard maybe.. anyone have any idea if there are any planned changes to this please.

Posted info then found out it was dated 2009,sorry!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options

http://cdn.hm-treasury.gov.uk/sr2010_completereport.pdf

"reform the Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) grant and Child Benefit. The Spending Review removes Child Benefit from families with a higher rate taxpayer and replaces EMAs with locally managed discretionary funds to target support;"

Or that was proposed at least?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,643 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    It is classed as contribution based.

Thanks, worse news ever I cannot believe it, grossly unfair :(

I have no other income no way should I be put onto contributions based. Anyway I can claim income based ESA as a new claim after the time limit expires? I simply do not know what is going to happen now.

Everyone on Youth is going to be on the same position, it seems they don't put alot of people into the support group.
  • hippy-chicy
    Options
    I Can't believe that the age of the single room restriction / shared LHA has been raised to 35. Unbelievable!

I think that this will cause a lot of hardship for a lot more people ...not good.
    :j
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    Thanks, worse news ever I cannot believe it, grossly unfair :(

I have no other income no way should I be put onto contributions based. Anyway I can claim income based ESA as a new claim after the time limit expires? I simply do not know what is going to happen now.

Everyone on Youth is going to be on the same position, it seems they don't put alot of people into the support group.

Why is being on CB IB a bad thing? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,643 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Why is being on CB IB a bad thing? :confused:

I meant contributions based ESA, which is what I will be moved to from getting IB (youth).
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I meant contributions based ESA, which is what I will be moved to from getting IB (youth).

Why is that a bad thing?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    NASA wrote: »
    I was under the impression that ESA(C) would simply run out after the year and from thereon be credits only - no requirement to claim JSA.

Yes that makes sense, maybe I should delete my post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure