We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• UnderPressure
    Options
    flight747 wrote: »
    You wish it could be £30 per day! Anyway, it actually £30 a year work out £0.625 per week!

I have to say it does not seem a lot to an individual but when you consider the amount of families the government is giving it to it actually probably represents a good few million quid.

I too am confused on a number of points from the spending review, I suppose in time more details will be published but I do think it could have been handled an awful lot better than some muppet standing there reciting a long list of changes with no real explanation for any of them!

Time will tell, I would encourage people not to panic over your personal situations none of this is going to be introduced "overnight" you will get plenty of notice if any of the changes affect you personally and hopefully a better understanding as well...................

Carry on as normal deal with it as and when it happens is about all you can do.
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • Resident_Evil
    Options
    I will be affected by the new 24 minimum hours and will have to start making some plans! My daughter is in sixth form at the moment (so not a child for much longer), does anyone know when the new 24 minimum hours will apply from? We are struggling desparately at the moment as my husband has recently had a stroke and has just gone on to the minimum ESA
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    I will be affected by the new 24 minimum hours and will have to start making some plans! My daughter is in sixth form at the moment (so not a child for much longer), does anyone know when the new 24 minimum hours will apply from? We are struggling desparately at the moment as my husband has recently had a stroke and has just gone on to the minimum ESA
    im looking for this answer too,no one seems to comment on it ,i dont no why its a masive change for some
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    No idea some sort of carer action is needed. Surely under the rules carers should be allowed the same rights as single people if their partner is unable to work.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• shell_542
    shell_542 Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    Options
    pwales wrote: »
    im looking for this answer too,no one seems to comment on it ,i dont no why its a masive change for some

I've just read somewhere, can't remember where and not sure how reliable, but it said April 2011.
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options

Do you mean this bit?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2010/10/spending-review-benefits-cut-in-welfare-axe

"Freezing the basic and 30-hour (for those who work over 30 hours) elements of tax credits for three years and from 2012 changing the working tax credit rules so couples with children must work 24 hours per week between them, with at least one working 16 hours."
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options

I think they wll have to make some allowance for couples where one has a disability tbh.

I have a feeling it may only apply to those receiving a certain level of DLA though...

On a different note, the clients I work with (learning disabilities) will also be affected by the loss of the mobility allowance of DLA.

They use it for taxis/buses etc to get them to places and back and it allows them some independence. The home provides transport for home based things but some of them want to go and do their own thing, and that's surely what the mobility allowance is for?

I can see the point in homes where the residents aren't able to leave, but it's a sad loss for those who are able to lead a somewhat independent life with the help of this money!
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    shell_542 wrote: »
    I've just read somewhere, can't remember where and not sure how reliable, but it said April 2011.

I would imagine that many of the welfare changes will be announced in the April budget, by then they will probably have worked out how they are going to impliment the changes seeing as they plan a one universal benefit - although I really can't see how they can make this work!
  • Resident_Evil
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Do you mean this bit?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2010/10/spending-review-benefits-cut-in-welfare-axe

"Freezing the basic and 30-hour (for those who work over 30 hours) elements of tax credits for three years and from 2012 changing the working tax credit rules so couples with children must work 24 hours per week between them, with at least one working 16 hours."

Thanks Fermi, this was the bit I was looking for. Really worried I was going to lose the working tax credit from January onwards! At least this gives us about 12-18 months and during this time, fingers crossed, our situation will have improved and then we will not need the help the tax credits have provided us with so far.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My sister in law receives WTC for 16 hours (single mum) will this affect her or is it just couples who have to work 24 hours per week to claim and when is this change occuring - immediately or next tax year? She has just said if it affects her she will just go onton income support since child under 5 :( PS my brother gives her hefty child maintenance which she doesn't need to declare as income whether on IS or WTC so gains quite a bit over families who stay together!

Actually, she would have to declare it as child maintenance is considered as income, chances are she would not be entitled to IS if she stopped working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure