We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »
    It only applies to however many ESA claimants that find themselves in the WRAG of CB ESA, what that figure is I don't know (it's not 95% as not everyone who claims ESA passes the WCA and some will be placed onto IB ESA ) but it's quite a few otherwise Osborne wouldn't be targeting them.

I heard a figure mentioned last night on TV and they said it will affect about 1 million people.
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies JS477 much appreciated :)

So in essence my BIL even though he only had an ATOS medical about 4 weeks ago that he passed with no problem, will next year at some stage be re-evaluated to see which "group" he will be placed on for ESA.

So there is not really anything I can tell him to ease his worries at this time :(

Crikey seems like the swap from IB to ESA in real terms is going to be a bit of a nightmare......................

Thanks again :)

Was the medical your BIL received for IB or was it for ESA. If it was ESA which group was he placed in the WRAG or the Support group? If it was for IB then there should be a review date on the letter he received from the DWP telling him of when the review of his IB will take place, in reality this review will probably be the migration from IB to ESA. However if it was an ESA medical then according to the table in Post #54 on this thread the time limiting of CB ESA doesn't begin until 2012/13.
    healy wrote: »
    I heard a figure mentioned last night on TV and they said it will affect about 1 million people.

It's hard to keep track of these figures as according to the BBC website it's 200,000

BBC
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Was the medical your BIL received for IB or was it for ESA. If it was ESA which group was he placed in the WRAG or the Support group? If it was for IB then there should be a review date on the letter he received from the DWP telling him of when the review of his IB will take place, in reality this review will probably be the migration from IB to ESA. However if it was an ESA medical then according to the table in Post #54 on this thread the time limiting of CB ESA doesn't begin until 2012/13.

It's hard to keep track of these figures as according to the BBC website it's 200,000

BBC

It was a politician that mentioned it yesterday - maybe that is the total on IB conts at the moment and they got mixed up.
  • UnderPressure
    Options

Hello :)

I have just phoned him, his medical was for IB and the letter he got to say he had passed mentioned a review next March so with it not being 12 months I would then presume this will be his swap over date to ESA.
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    What's happening with housing benefit..?. I am a single parent claiming housing benefit. a friend of mine told me that next year the LHA rates are going down, is this true...?
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Hello :)

I have just phoned him, his medical was for IB and the letter he got to say he had passed mentioned a review next March so with it not being 12 months I would then presume this will be his swap over date to ESA.

It could be because the IB to ESA migration is to take place between October 2010 and March 2014 with the main-roll out of migration of claimants beginning on 28 February 2011 and is due to finish in March 2014. If your BIL receives an ESA50 rather than an IB50 at his review next March then it's pretty certain that he's being migrated to ESA.

More details Here
  • Twentiesgirl
    Options
    The other thing is does your bil have a working partner or savings? If not then he is likely to go into the income based ESA group and will thus not be limited to the 12 months providing he passes the medical.

Housing benefit - as far as I know the shared rate has been extended to those aged 35 ( it was 25).

I can't personally see those who are on contributory ESA being moved to JSA at the end of the year as surely there contributions will have run out and thus they would be inelegible?
  • Princess_Coupon
    Options
    I have been freaked out with all the changes and all the jargon about reduction in disregards and increases in tapering % but no info on what the changes will be to me in £'s well this table helped me alot and shows little change for me:j

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_bbi_taxcredits
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    this is out of date since yesterday this is "pre october 20th"
  • Princess_Coupon
    Options
    pwales wrote: »
    this is out of date since yesterday this is "pre october 20th"

Drat can you sum up what's changed since Oct 20th or give me a link to read it
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family