We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• bargainbunny
    Options
    Im really confused as im a single parent who rents and I have a son with a disability so im classed as a carer atm as he is 13...
    he is almost settled into a special unit which is only day times.. like a school etc but until he is completly settled i cannot work.

Im very worried about his transport funding now and cannot move now as all the hb changes i think will affect me?
    my rent is low for private as i took it on in bad state.

The area where we live is app 80% funded by goverment:eek:
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im really confused as im a single parent who rents and I have a son with a disability so im classed as a carer atm as he is 13...
    he is almost settled into a special unit which is only day times.. like a school etc but until he is completly settled i cannot work.

Im very worried about his transport funding now and cannot move now as all the hb changes i think will affect me?
    my rent is low for private as i took it on in bad state.

The area where we live is app 80% funded by goverment:eek:

How old are you? Like ONW has said, the LHA changes only affect single people under 35.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    They expect ill/disabled people under 35 to share accommodation with strangers? :eek: surely there should be some distinction between healthy people (JSA claimants) and ESA claimers? It looks like this government want to rob the most vulnerable people of their dignity.
    People with 'severe disabilities' were exempt from the 25+ rule and could get the 1 bed place rate so I'd assume they would be exempt from the 35+ rule that will be put in place and still be able to get the 1 bed rate.

"If you are severely disabled, or live with a severely disabled partner, and have no dependent children, your benefit will be based on the one bedroom Local Housing Allowance rate."

I think it means MRC or HRC for severely disabled but I'm not sure.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • zaralondon
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly when the £15 excess that LHA claimants currently receive will be cut?

I read somewhere next April, but I have also heard that the big changes (reduction to 30% percentile + 250 cap for one bedroom etc) will happen in October 2011.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!!
  • applecharlotte
    Options
    Thanks for your replies JS477 much appreciated :)

So in essence my BIL even though he only had an ATOS medical about 4 weeks ago that he passed with no problem, will next year at some stage be re-evaluated to see which "group" he will be placed on for ESA.

So there is not really anything I can tell him to ease his worries at this time :(

Crikey seems like the swap from IB to ESA in real terms is going to be a bit of a nightmare......................

Thanks again :)

I hope when they review the benefits system they change the language that is used as this seems to be play a part in the state of mind of the claimants. If my car went for an MOT and "passed with no problem" i would think that is a good thing. People shouldn't be aiming to pass a medical as surely that means they are fit to work. And how many times have i heard " i didn't get enough points". The whole mindset of SOME people claiming these benefits needs to change before anything else will change. If everybody started with 15 points and lost points for everything they can't do, then those reaching 0 would be judged unfit to work. I know it is only a small thing but it plays a huge part in peoples minds.
  • hardya
    hardya Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have searched and searched...

I am looking for a hard point by point list of the welfare changes but all I can find is a paragraph by paragraph limited description of a subset of the changes littered with rhetoric, cliches, photos and data that is useless unless you are an econnomist.

I'm looking for a list where each row is something like like for eg:

Benefit type, date of change, detail of change, etc etc...

Does any one know of such a thing?
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    From April 2011
    • LHA includes help for a limited number of bedrooms. The maximum number of bedrooms is reduced from 5 to 4 (private sector mainly affecting London).
    • LHA allows a certain amount depending on the area and number of bedrooms. Now, an absolute cap is introduced so that LHA weekly rates cannot exceed:
      • £250 for a 1 bedroomed property
      • £290 for a 2 bedroomed property
      • £340 for a 3 bedroomed property
      • £400 for a 4 bedroomed property
    (private sector, mainly affecting London)
    The result may be that properties may not be affordable
    • Scrapping the £15 weekly LHA excess (private sector)
      This extra was where claimants could keep up to £15 if they found a property that was cheaper than the LHA rate. This is abolished. Existing recipients will keep the extra until the anniversary of their claim.
    http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_bbi_hbandlha
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • DX2
    Options
    Orville wrote: »
    What's happening with housing benefit..?. I am a single parent claiming housing benefit. a friend of mine told me that next year the LHA rates are going down, is this true...?

From April 2011
    • LHA includes help for a limited number of bedrooms. The maximum number of bedrooms is reduced from 5 to 4 (private sector mainly affecting London).
    • LHA allows a certain amount depending on the area and number of bedrooms. Now, an absolute cap is introduced so that LHA weekly rates cannot exceed:
      • £250 for a 1 bedroomed property
      • £290 for a 2 bedroomed property
      • £340 for a 3 bedroomed property
      • £400 for a 4 bedroomed property
    *SIGH*
  • DX2
    Options
    hardya wrote: »
    I have searched and searched...

I am looking for a hard point by point list of the welfare changes but all I can find is a paragraph by paragraph limited description of a subset of the changes littered with rhetoric, cliches, photos and data that is useless unless you are an econnomist.

I'm looking for a list where each row is something like like for eg:

Benefit type, date of change, detail of change, etc etc...

Does any one know of such a thing?
    http://cdn.hm-treasury.gov.uk/sr2010_pressnotices.pdf

Something like this? ^^^ from page 2
    *SIGH*
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    http://cdn.hm-treasury.gov.uk/sr2010_pressnotices.pdf

Something like this? ^^^ from page 2

Nice one. :)

That also confirms that:
    Changes to Working Tax Credit Eligibility from April 2012.

From April 2012, couples with children must work 24 hours between them, with at least one working 16 hours, to gain entitlement to the Working Tax Credit, rather than at least one working 16 hours as now.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure