Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• oysterman
    oysterman Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rosie75 wrote: »
    We bought through a syndicate last month for 32p on 1000L, checked on BoilerJuice today and cheapest is 52p. An increase of 62% in a month.

Incidentally, I note that another poster says that they will not use Total Butler. I have had an appalling experience with them and refuse to ever deal with them again. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out who the suppliers are when you get a quote from Boiler Juice?

As far as i am aware it's which company has the lowest price will get the work. I might be wrong but that's what i was told.:confused:
    if i had known then what i know now
  • suddsy2233
    Options
    Hi readers - I use an oil based c/h system - ok in summer(2 qrtrs) as cheapish to use for water heating only. But winter (2 qtrs) is expensive, as all the rads are in operation.
    I do believe other fuel is also expensive in the same period.
    Any way what I'm trying to find is the best prices for my area, G/L & s/east.
    My last delivery was , sept 09, at 34p per litre, the world oil price was 71 dollars per barrel.
    Today home heating oil seems to be around 47p per litre (+vat), with world oil at about 80 dollars a barrel.
    So world oil is up 13 % but heating oil is up 40%.
    Thats why I'm looking for best prices for home heating - can anyone assist please?
  • paceinternet
    Options
    We bought some on 5th Jan at 0.39 + vat when Brent Crude was $80.
    It peaked on 7th Jan at about $81.5.
    Today it is showing about $75.3

http://investing.thisismoney.co.uk/companyresearch/100815/Brent_Crude/company_charts.html

Demand for heating oil has been high due to the prolonged cold weather, but the numbers suggest it should fall to around 40p or even less.
    You never know what else could influence it, but ring around (Yell.com) and hang on as long as you can.
  • JonPhred
    JonPhred Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Rosie75 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to find out who the suppliers are when you get a quote from Boiler Juice?

It isn't possible to discover in advance of delivery.

A problem I encountered is that they find the "best price" for my area but it's often the case that there's a note to the effect that the supplier concerned adds a 2ppl supplement for delivery in a baby tanker.

For all I know the "next best" price is a tiny fraction of a penny per litre less and with no supplement for a baby tanker so that would be the "best price" for my circumstances.

I'm assuming that a RoadRunner-sized vehicle (the largest that can get in and then out again) counts as a "baby tanker" but BJ couldn't confirm and wouldn't provide me with contact details for the "best price" supplier so I could check with them.

Counter-intuitively, I've found times when an order for 1800L provided a lower unit cost than an order for 2200L - suggests that different suppliers have different break-points in their pricing with differing steps in price.
  • JonPhred
    JonPhred Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Demand for heating oil has been high due to the prolonged cold weather, but the numbers suggest it should fall to around 40p or even less.
    You never know what else could influence it, ...

The way that refiners choose to refine crude oil so as to create different proportions of various products is one factor - they'll crack it to provide most profit per barrel so if higher profit is found in other products then less kerosene is produced until such time as kerosene/paraffin prices increase to make it worth creating more or else prices on those other products reduce so that kerosene becomes worthwhile again.

There is therefore no direct correlation between kerosene prices and crude oil prices (other than in the very broadest of terms) as refineries can vary the amount of kerosene derived from crude oil.

The demand from aircraft operators for kerosene supports the price in summer when the Northern Hemisphere demand for it for heating purposes drops off but more holiday flights are chartered.

Adding complexity is the fact that various hedging financial instruments are used by refiners which may influence the price of various products well in advance - it's not just the crude oils which have Futures based on them.

Oil prices are expressed in USD so the GBP price of oil and oil products is obviously subject to exchange rate movements and this effect can be significant: sterling prices can change without the dollar price moving at all.

One needs plenty of storage to tide oneself over a period of unknown duration in which prices are super-elevated in the hope that one can make large purchases at low price points. The reality is that, all too often, one'll become very close to running out and will be forced into making some smaller purchases at a high price. Gaining a general idea from watching price trends may help (I capture boilerjuice quotes in a spreadsheet from time to time) but timing the market precisely is largely a matter of luck.
  • pierre94
    pierre94 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    obviously i'll go for a cheaper fuel.. cuz my my job is based on field work.. and i 'll tryto get the cheapest fuel form the state...
  • paceinternet
    Options
    Oil price check is showing quite a fall today.
    500 litres about 40 + 5% vat
    900 litres about 39 + 5% vat
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    Total Butler were a pain this week - they offered the best price when I phoned around and gave a latest delivery date which I agreed to on the understanding that as long as they could deliver by then we would be ok.

To cut a long story short they failed to hit the date and messed up every day for four days afterwards - we had to switch the central heating off (no oil on dipstick!) but at least the hot water kept going for showers...

Moral: only use TB if you're not low on oil when you place the order.
  • Lowonoil
    Options
    Oil price check is showing quite a fall today.
    500 litres about 40 + 5% vat
    900 litres about 39 + 5% vat

Hello :wave:

Who's quoting those prices?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills