Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• analyst_2
    Options
    pwllbwdr wrote: »
    The trouble with "Wales" in such an index is that different parts of Wales are much more accessible than others. Parts of NWales are readily accessible from the depots in Cheshire, Merseyside etc. Parts of mid Wales are unaccessible from virtually anywhere.
    I take what you are saying, but mid Wales has a lower density population, so it would follow that it would have a lesser influence on the average price for Wales as a whole.

Furthermore, I would say that even the worst parts of mid Wales are unlikely to be significantly less accessible than say, parts of the Scottish highlands and islands. So I can't see any reasonable explanation for the sudden hike in price for Wales compared to all other regions of UK.
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    That is excellent new, thank you, what gets me is that I ring round all local oil suppliers and the first thing they say is "are you a regular customer" or "have you an account with us" why do they do this, do they give a better price if you are a customer, or a better price to get you as a customer, sometimes they say "you have not bought from us for two years"

It really annoys me, so does anybody know is it cheaper to stay with the same company or shop around as I do and get the best price on the day after quoting Oilprice check prices to them!!!

Regards oap:confused:
  • oysterman
    Options
    oap wrote: »
    That is excellent new, thank you, what gets me is that I ring round all local oil suppliers and the first thing they say is "are you a regular customer" or "have you an account with us" why do they do this, do they give a better price if you are a customer, or a better price to get you as a customer, sometimes they say "you have not bought from us for two years"

It really annoys me, so does anybody know is it cheaper to stay with the same company or shop around as I do and get the best price on the day after quoting Oilprice check prices to them!!!

Regards oap:confused:

Shop around is the best policy on price, but if your a regular customer & your desperate for oil you might get it quicker. A lot of people in our area are going to be disappointed this xmas, because they will not get a delivery before xmas day.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • bobmedley
    bobmedley Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I just had to buy 1,000 litres and paid 43.575p per litre including VAT & that's the cheapest around me in Cheshire
  • NANNA_PINC
    Options
    I ordered heating oil 10 days ago from my usual supplier quoted me 45.6p on 1000L, which is horrendous but i ordered as i am not well enough to haggle, plus i thought that as a loyal customer for 12 years it would be delivered quickly. No chance, despite explaining to them i am housebound i still have not had the delivery and they cannot tell me when it will be delivered. You're right Martin, LOYALTY DOESN'T PAY!
  • RichardHowells
    Options
    NANNA_PINC wrote: »
    I ordered heating oil 10 days ago from my usual supplier quoted me 45.6p on 1000L, which is horrendous...

I cannot speak for prices 10 days ago. Last Monday (11th) I was placing a syndicate order. The 'street prices' were in the range 47-63p/litre + VAT. TBH I thought it would be hard to get a great price. Why would they'd need to work to win business at a time when they cannot cope. In fact I placed the synidcate order at 41.5p/litre. Delivery for next week.
    NANNA_PINC wrote: »
    i thought that as a loyal customer for 12 years it would be delivered quickly.
    There are probably lots of other loyal customers too. I know of people who have run dry, a couple with a three month old baby who will run dry this week... There are loads of tough stories.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Bangor North Wales area if it helps anyone:

1000 litres @ 40.20 = £402.00 + [EMAIL="vat@5%"]vat@5%[/EMAIL] = £422.10 purchased on the 5th
    January 2010.
    regards oap:T
  • We try and get the best of both worlds by looking at boilerjuice.com and trying another local supplier or 2 and then go back to our favorite supplier near us and get a best price. They have always managed to get to the same or lower price than the others, and give us excellent service as we have a long standing account.
  • Rosie75
    Rosie75 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We bought through a syndicate last month for 32p on 1000L, checked on BoilerJuice today and cheapest is 52p. An increase of 62% in a month.

Incidentally, I note that another poster says that they will not use Total Butler. I have had an appalling experience with them and refuse to ever deal with them again. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out who the suppliers are when you get a quote from Boiler Juice?
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: £9000 / £10,000
  • RichardHowells
    Options
    I bought for my own syndicate at 41.5 last Monday (11th). At the time it was a great price (Boiler Juice were at 48.5). Today BJ are at 52.5.

I'm convinced that a syndicate is the way to go. Join one if there is one, start one if there isn't.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback