Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• pwllbwdr
    pwllbwdr Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I had 800l from Bayfords Rhyl a couple of weeks ago. 44ppl if you pay quickly. Dunno if it is going up or down.
  • frogbottler
    Options
    http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/index.htm lists today's and yesterday's prices "calculated by taking an average price from a number of home heating oil suppliers."

I use the site as a price guide. Their average price is usually 1p-3p lower than the price first quoted by suppliers around here. If pushed suppliers here will price match or beat (by a fraction of one penny) other local suppliers but are usually reluctant to match the prices on oilpricecheck website :(

Another thumbs down for boilerjuice, over the last 5 years their quotes have been an average of 4-5p per litre more expensive :(
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Just paid 37.90p for 1000 litres (actually 946 litres , tank full!)
    But the price allows you to go down to 800 litres.
    Bangor, North Wales company. 44p sounds a lot to me after ringing round several suppliers.

Let us hope the mild weather continues, without the rain and wind!!!!

Thanks all of you for the input, if we keep doing this it gives everyone an idea.

I always go on Oil Price Check, it helps you to negotiate, start off saying on Oil Price Check it says such and such, actually Oil Price Check was spot on the day I bought it.

I notice that they now have Welsh prices, English Scottish and Irish prices, and that the Welsh prices are higher than the English, Why I wonder!!

Regards, oap
    ps we have no choice as no natural gas here in Anglesey, only parts of Anglesey have natural gas, so it is oil or propane, and of course elctricity!!

:confused:
  • analyst_2
    Options
    Interesting!
    I've always negotiated my oil prices, but am not in a syndicate, and I log 'em on an Excel spreadsheet and have never found Boilerjuice competitive.

However, I didn't know about oilpricecheck.co.uk till now.
    So, that's based on average prices but what's interesting there, using the token 900l fill, is this:
    • England - £355.08
    • Scotland - £356.33
    • N. Ireland - £356.33
    • Wales - £362.31
    That's a bit of a jump for Wales isn't it?
    Whilst maybe some parts are a bit more remote, is Wales really any more remote than say, parts of Scotland or N.Ireland?

I smell a cartel in operation there, and price-fixing is illegal.
    So it occurs to me its time to drop a line to OFT

. . . oh c'mon guys, stop rolling about on the floor :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    surely the OFT isn't as utterly toothless as all that.Hmmmmm . . .
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have never thought of that, maybe?????? Where we live is on a modern housing estate off the main road, no problems whatsoever and only about 9 miles from the bridges. !!:rotfl:
  • hi, i run a heating oil group in lincolnshire, (looking for more members if anyones interested). Not using Total butler anymore as they have a really terrible service, emo oil offer a good price but not great, also a local supplier is very good on price but only covers half of the consortium. Found a company called universal fuels online, i spoke to them and their price seems really good but haven't heard of them before and am unsure about them (anyone used them?). Boiler juice's price seems high and even called crown oil and their price was a joke. Any ideas, group ordering on 10th december.
  • pwllbwdr
    pwllbwdr Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The trouble with "Wales" in such an index is that different parts of Wales are much more accessible than others. Parts of NWales are readily accessible from the depots in Cheshire, Merseyside etc. Parts of mid Wales are unaccessible from virtually anywhere.
  • SickStu
    SickStu Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    How come these online quote sites quote the price ex-VAT ? Is that legal ?
  • Rosie75
    Rosie75 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SickStu wrote: »
    How come these online quote sites quote the price ex-VAT ? Is that legal ?
    I believe there are different rates of VAT for domestic and business users of heating oil
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: £9000 / £10,000
  • The_Master
    Options
    Hi,

'Lincoln heating oil' checked out universal fuels had a look at their site have you used them yet were they any good? aways on the lookout for new cheap suppliers.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback