Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    "Any other general tips about oil heating"

yes, as soon as you can...ask the current owners how much they spend on oil per year and then consider replacing the oil boiler with a heat pump, read the threads on air source heat pumps and the renewable heat incentive (RHI).
    Good luck
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    Max_Dread wrote: »

Any other general tips about oil heating and how to get the best price would be great.

Cheers

Max

Have your boiler serviced annually (or do it yourself).

Make sure you have a few warm jumpers ready for when you run out of oil during a cold snap! (You'll probably only run out once).

Make sure that the supplier doesn't have to pipe the oil in through the house - not all suppliers will deliver - we used to live somewhere with no side access and it was a back of the mind worry that one day health and safety rules would make taking delivery through the house impossible.

Even though it is a bit of a pain I quite like being on oil - sort of means we probably live in a nice bit of the countryside!
  • oysterman
    oysterman Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    benood wrote: »
    Have your boiler serviced annually (or do it yourself).

Make sure you have a few warm jumpers ready for when you run out of oil during a cold snap! (You'll probably only run out once).

Make sure that the supplier doesn't have to pipe the oil in through the house - not all suppliers will deliver - we used to live somewhere with no side access and it was a back of the mind worry that one day health and safety rules would make taking delivery through the house impossible.

Even though it is a bit of a pain I quite like being on oil - sort of means we probably live in a nice bit of the countryside!

Gb oils will not deliver to a oil tank through the house. That includes any areas that are classed as living quarters i.e places where you have put floor tiles down & installed radiators & have white goods being used.

The reason they are going down this way is the insurance companies do not want the liability of paying out tens of thousands of pounds in clear up costs if there hose burst's in someone's property.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Directoil were the cheapest for me today, 1000 ltrs, tried a few local ones and internet ones.
    41.67, even beat my best local one which has always been the cheapest, they wouldn't go below 42.75.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • CWatters_2
    CWatters_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Directoil were the cheapest for me today, 1000 ltrs, tried a few local ones and internet ones.
    41.67, even beat my best local one which has always been the cheapest, they wouldn't go below 42.75.

Just for info - Direct Oil are same company as Watson Petroleum Limited.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CWatters wrote: »
    Just for info - Direct Oil are same company as Watson Petroleum Limited.
    I know, funny thing is that a local company taken over by Watson, but still being run as the local companies name, quoted 2p more per litre, but still ended up delivering the oil anyway :D

Who cares who owns what, as long as they are the cheapest?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a call today from one of the firms I choose between when buying heating oil. They were offering 900 litres or more at 40.20, which is better than Boilerjuice and I'm tempted.

Any views about where prices might be heading?
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    If they're phoning you my guess is prices are heading down!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    benood wrote: »
    If they're phoning you my guess is prices are heading down!

You know, that's exactly what I thought, too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback