Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• rachel_22
    Options
    We have just moved to a village in Suffolk and our first tank full of oil is 45p per litre for 700 litres quoted by Total. Is this about the going rate?
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rachel_22 wrote: »
    We have just moved to a village in Suffolk and our first tank full of oil is 45p per litre for 700 litres quoted by Total. Is this about the going rate?

As you can see (above) I was offered 40p per litre on 4th June - though that was for 1,000 litres.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I check the 10-day price with Boilerjuice, then go to local companies - who will generally deliver for roughly .5p per litre less in 2-3 days when I tell then Boilerjuice rates!
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    this is always a good guide, I quote them when ordering!!

http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/
  • Mutter_2
    Mutter_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone used additive and if so, did you notice a difference in consumption?
    http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/products.htm
  • whiskylady
    Options
    I live 40 miles north of inverness and we have Scottish Fuels (46.85p/lit for 1000), Brogan (49.5p/lit for 1000) and Highland Fuel (45.95p/lit for 1000) as of 10th August 2010. Most of the oil checking websites do not include the Highlands, so it is a case of calling them all....I wish there was a way to predict the best time to buy...I always seem to be 'out'. The cost of oil seems to be going up again, do I wait until Spet/Oct?
  • paceinternet
    paceinternet Posts: 355 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2010 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Currently Midlands 1000l around 43.22 p/l + vat = 45.38 inc vat
    It is not possible to know where it will go next as recovery and crisis will have an effect, but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/commodities/143908/twelve_month.stm

I suggest historically Sept/Oct is a good time to decide/jump in.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    I've just paid 40.48 (plus the inevitable 5% VAT) per litre on a 1,000 litre order. I've been playing brinkmanship with the supplier but the level in my tank was just too low to hold on for much longer.
  • Tulip09
    Tulip09 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, i am just about to move to a new rented house in North Yorkshire that has oil heating. I have never experienced this sort of heating before. What sort of thing should i be looking for when i buy oil or choose a supplier etc. How much will i have to buy roughly and how often. This house is a big 4 bedroom with 4/ 5 people living in it.
    Grocery Challenge - Jan £4.42/£200.00

Up my income - £124.00/ £11,000.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Tulip09 wrote: »
    Hiya, i am just about to move to a new rented house in North Yorkshire that has oil heating. I have never experienced this sort of heating before. What sort of thing should i be looking for when i buy oil or choose a supplier etc. How much will i have to buy roughly and how often. This house is a big 4 bedroom with 4/ 5 people living in it.

This is my first houe with oil heating, too, so anything I say is based on just two years of living with it.

The first thing is get your boiler seviced every year. The second is, when you need oil, phone several local supliers and see what they are charging. There are two in my area and sometimes I use one, sometimes the other. I've never seen any advantage in their credit plans, cntracts and so on.

As fo quantity, I never order less than 1,000 litres as that seems to be the magc price point.

Finally, do keep a close eye on your oil levels. If you have one of those Watchman devices, don't (in my experience) rely on it. Get a clean stick, dip the tank when it's full and mark the top level. Dip it again every now and then to assess the true evel. Don't run out as you'll not only be cold if you do, you'll damage your pump.

Hope that helps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure