Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Currently Midlands 1000l around 43.22 p/l + vat = 45.38 inc vat
    It is not possible to know where it will go next as recovery and crisis will have an effect, but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/commodities/143908/twelve_month.stm

I suggest historically Sept/Oct is a good time to decide/jump in.
    I suggest you look at boilerjuice's price chart over 2 years. The time of year make no difference.
    It used to be said, buy your oil in the summer, I don't believe that makes difference either today.
    Alot of it's down to luck.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • gratefulforhelp_2
    Options
    I ring round suppliers, check boilerjuice, then ring the second cheapest and ask them if they would like to beat the price of the cheapest, they usually do. Also, you have to check how long for delivery, and if they make a credit card surcharge.
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • sylviesinc
    sylviesinc Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in East Anglia and have used oil central heating for 12 years. I agree that it is essential to get your boiler serviced every year and we have a local firm that charges £69 inc parts to do this for us. It's worth finding one that you can rely on. Ours has come out at very short notice in response to a leak in our tank that turned out to be just a filter needed replacing. Our tank holds 1100 litres and a new tank would have cost more than £1500.
    I usually order 500-750 litres but the more you can order, the cheaper and you can't order less than 500. I always use boilerjuice as, in the past, none of the other suppliers could match the price. Usually it comes out cheaper than quoted because there's a discount when others in the same postcode order. Paying with a credit card usually incurs an additional cost.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    YES WE GET OURS DONE EVERY YEAR, WELL WORTH IT, BY THE WAY CAN ANYBODY TELL US DO THE GOVERNMENT INTEND PUTTING OUR DOMESTIC FUEL UP TO TWENTY PER CENT VAT, IT IS ONLY FIVE PER CENT AT MOMENT, IE LABOUR TOOK IT FROM SEVENTEEN AND A HALF PER CENT TO FIVE PER CENT WHEN THEY FIRST GOT IN 10 YEARS AGO, IT WOULD MAKE A HECK OF A DIFFERENCE TO OUR ELECTRICITY AND OIL BILLS, i CANNOT BELIEVE THEY WOULD DO THIS WOULD THEY?
    cHEERS OAP
  • Tulip09
    Tulip09 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers. I have just spoken to my new landlords agent about the oil boiler/ supplier ect and they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard! They have no idea when it was last serviced or filled etc and the only thing they know is 'its cheap'. I have left them with the information i want answers to :) Hopefully it will all be ok, I dont move in for a few weeks anyway so should know more then.
    Grocery Challenge - Jan £4.42/£200.00

Up my income - £124.00/ £11,000.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    If it is of any help to anyone, paid 44.12p today a litre for 900, but was quoted originally 45.72 by my supplier, rang around seemed 44 .12 ish is more correct from others, so rang him back and got him down to 44.12 saving us sixteen pounds, just shows what you can do if you make the effort!!

Bangor area, North Wales

Regards oap:T
  • warfield27
    Options
    try cheapestoil.co.uk; works very well for northern ireland, differently for rest of the uk.
    Today in NI, the cheapest quote for 900 litres is £392, dearest is £415.
    The site claims to be advertising funded as opposed to commission, you deal with the supplier and not this website.

It gives you the opportunity of several quotes before you even start to call around different suppliers.
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    Hi, checked Boiler Juice today and best price in Perth area was 50p litre for 500 litres. Interestingly their graph tracking prices does show a dip over summer period, Aug/Sept.

But phoning around gave me cheaper prices.

EMO Oil (Shell) was 51p

Brogan Oil was 49.8p

Johnston Oils was 49.05p

So still no better with price comparison sites. The other site I tried didn't even find a supplier in my area.
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    Anyone got any recommendations for Boiler servicing? Boiler Juice didn't have anyone on their database and i'd prefer someone who is recommended. Perth/Dundee area.
  • paulmuz
    Options
    Emo Oil (Shell) is not Shell. They are Shell's distributor for Domestic Oil. They sold them the business (and all of their customers) 3 years ago.

Also, Emo Oil are part of the same company as Brogans so that wont really be a good comparison for you.

ps...DCC who own GB Oils who own Emo and Brogans also own Boiler Juice :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback