Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• star_trek_fan
    Options
    We've been without hot water and heating since May 2009, when my OH was laid off. Since then, he's found a little temporary work in betweening claiming JSA and paying the bills has been a struggle on my income, with not enough left over to put aside for oil. We've just about caught up on the mortgage/council tax arrears. He started a full-time job 3 weeks ago, 1st pay day is 22nd December. Great! We should have money left for 500 litres of oil, which would last us about 3/4 months. Just checked prices today and forget it, we've got to find another £120!

Oh well! Another few weeks shivering with our 3 electric fires whilst we try to save more money. At the moment I'm just waiting for the kettle to boil so I can wash my hair.
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 £164.04 / £2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
  • home-heating-oil
    Options
    russang wrote: »
    I agree with all that you say. we have just paid £670 for 1000 litres the price has nearly doubled over the year. And we have to pay up front.Some companies add a penalty cost if you do not pay immediately We have to buy oil so they have us!! I worry about some people who are a lot worse off and cannot find the money. Older people who say nothing just do without heating. It is all about Gas electricity gas electricity in the newspapers and on the radio. Hello? We are out here - hear our plea!! And it is no good saying buy oil when it is cheap because inevitably your tank does not need filling then. PLUS we run the risk of having our oil stolen when we live in the sticks.

Thaks for listening!!

Russang

This a great place for airing concerns. Unfortunately though we seem to have 2 major topics running at the same time for the same subject. I have just posted in http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=39213240#post39213240 which you may find of interest.
  • debtfreenewbie
    Options
    I have just paid 340 for 500 litres.I bought 500 in november and it cost 234.!!!!!!?
    I just cant wait,if I run out then we will have problems with the boiler and have more time with no heating. I have two children and live in a rural area..What choice do we have?
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Options
    russang wrote: »
    We are out here - hear our plea!
    Unfortunately, oil users are a minority and therefore carry no weight at election time.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • nurquhar
    Options
    On the 21/10/10 we had Emo oil (shell) deliver 1000ltr of kersence heating at 43p + VAT.

This monday I was ringing around to get quote on another 1000ltr top up and they quoted 72p.:eek: Delviery was quoted into the new year !! A cold Xmas then !!

Thats more than a 65% price increase !!

In the end I got a quote of 60p from Total and ordered only 500ltr expecting prices to come down again in the new year. Delivery is still two weeks though.

Were in Redditch, Worcs.
  • home-heating-oil
    Options
    nurquhar wrote: »
    On the 21/10/10 we had Emo oil (shell) deliver 1000ltr of kersence heating at 43p + VAT.

This monday I was ringing around to get quote on another 1000ltr top up and they quoted 72p.:eek: Delviery was quoted into the new year !! A cold Xmas then !!

Thats more than a 65% price increase !!

In the end I got a quote of 60p from Total and ordered only 500ltr expecting prices to come down again in the new year. Delivery is still two weeks though.

Were in Redditch, Worcs.

Been monitoring prices Total Butler are cheaper than most and have been for a while. This morning got an online quotes for GL TB were cheapest at 62.3ppl, heatingoil 76.95ppl, cheapoilprices 72ppl (20 days delivery) and BJ were at 74ppl. Saying that TB were 1ppl cheaper yesterday.
  • gadger999
    Options
    Theres a new company running oil out of felton nr. Bristol, just got a price of 57ppl and del early next week .
    i thought that was pricey but reading these forums it seems its cheap
  • donnalou
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I should get my oil delivered on Wednesday but I've been reading about being able to buy an emergency barrel of oil. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this is so where you can get it.

I'm in Suffolk/ Norfolk area.

Thanks Guys

Donna
  • bobhawke
    bobhawke Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    donnalou wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I should get my oil delivered on Wednesday but I've been reading about being able to buy an emergency barrel of oil. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this is so where you can get it.

I'm in Suffolk/ Norfolk area.

Thanks Guys

Donna
    I ran out of heating oil and contacted the people I buy it from, the Lothian Machinery Ring. They put me in contact with a small local business that delivers barrels and could do emergency deliveries on short notice with a 4 wheel drive if necessary. It cost a little extra but was well worth it.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 December 2010 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Oil heating is the cinderella of heating.You hear all the time by Government that Gas and Electricity Prices are under investigation,BUT when did you hear of a heating oil probe? Many Rural Areas have very little choice of heating and Oil is often the only answer.Come on coalition do something for the oil users. Nobody has done anything about Petrol Prices but now is the chance to do something for those dependent on Kerosene for domestic heating

Maybe the panto has TWO cinderellas? Oil and LPG.

LPG users, like myself, are trying to get the market looked into.

We'd like other MSE'ers support, please - we think oil users will know some of the problems! - by adding your thanks to the LPG 'moneyfesto' post:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=39205254&postcount=477

MSE will take up the best supported posts with top politicians and regulators - we had 44 thanks last time I looked - so we have a chance.

We've written to MPs, ofgem, Trading Standards, etc, and got woffle or "it's not our remit" back. NOW we hope Martin Lewis will take up the cause - and all the domestic oil users reading this can give a very, very cheap Christmas present to us. We hope Martin Lewis won't get the brush-off.

Yes, if oil users want to go down the same route of asking MSE to take up the fight, please post a request on our Bulk LPG sticky and I'm sure lots of us will support you. Cinders should have some rights! LPG users don't expect magic pumpkins - just a 'fair' and transparent market.

Thanks for reading - and Happy Christmas.

PS LPG users' tanks are owned by the supplier - on 2 year contracts - so we HAVE to buy from that firm. At least with oil you can get quotes - and look on BoilerJuice. This winter one company is charging one of its customers 30 pence per litre - and another 68 ppl! We've had lots of prices posted on the Bulk LPG sticky - but these are the extremes for one company.

Just like oil, LPG prices have risen steeply recently. And, just like oil, when wholesale prices / crude prices have gone down on occasions over the last 3 years the retail price of LPG has rarely followed.

That post again:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=39205254&postcount=477

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport