We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

No heating at home

Options
Hi All,

Hope someone can help on the 7th of August i had smelt gas and called the engineers out to take a look, when they come out they have disconnected the gas and have condemed the boiler as of now i have no heating and hot water.

I have asked my landlord to get something done but was told he didnt have the money to get this done.

So my next idea was to apply for the home warm front grant they have some out and done the survey one the house and was told that the next step was that they would contact the landlord to seek permission for either a new boiler or the current boiler to be repaired.

I have contacted home warm front and it has now been two weeks since they have sent the permission letter out but haven't received it back.

my next question is what are my other options that are out there for me?

Thank You
Thanks

Simon

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    skeating86 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope someone can help on the 7th of August i had smelt gas and called the engineers out to take a look, when they come out they have disconnected the gas and have condemed the boiler as of now i have no heating and hot water.

I have asked my landlord to get something done but was told he didnt have the money to get this done.

So my next idea was to ...

Your next idea really should be to contact the CAB, better still Shelter, or perhaps best of all your local council private rental housing officer.

How can the LL truthfully claim he doesn't have any money? Are you not paying him your rent? In any event, he has a responsibility when letting to ensure you have a proper, adequate and reasonable form of heating and hot water. Don't get involved in his own financial affairs, just demand your lawful rights as a tenant. The above sources will give you further advice on those rights and how you can enforce them.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell him you will be witholding all rent until the matter is resolved.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • skeating86
    skeating86 Posts: 67 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2010 at 11:08AM
    Options
    macman wrote: »

Hi

That idea has come into mine and my wifes minds

It may get the LL to shift.

If he does say it will get it done should i hold the rent till the work is done where i have hot water and heating

Thanks
    Thanks

Simon
  • skeating86
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Your next idea really should be to contact the CAB, better still Shelter, or perhaps best of all your local council private rental housing officer.

How can the LL truthfully claim he doesn't have any money? Are you not paying him your rent? In any event, he has a responsibility when letting to ensure you have a proper, adequate and reasonable form of heating and hot water. Don't get involved in his own financial affairs, just demand your lawful rights as a tenant. The above sources will give you further advice on those rights and how you can enforce them.

Hi

If he does say it will get it done should i hold the rent till the work is done where i have hot water and heating

Thanks
    Thanks

Simon
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PM a board guide and ask them to move this post to House Buying, Renting & Selling
    There are plenty of experts over there, both tennants and landlords, who will give you advice on how to proceed.
  • NeverInDebt
    Options
    Warmfront take a long time to come and they probably tell you its not there responsibility but your landlords thats why you pay rent. If he/she is not prepared then perhaps its time before the impending Winter to give notice to leave IF he/she is NOT prepared to replace the boiler assuming it is beyond repair

Not sure who condemned your boiler but it could be worth getting a 2nd opinion
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 September 2010 at 11:57AM
    Options
    skeating86 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks
    Seek advice from the sources I quoted as to the best way to enforce your rights whilst at the same time not creating any problems of your own making.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    Hmm I don't know, a lot of people advise to never withhold rent. I agree this is an extreme case, but it kinda does still mean you are not upholding your responsibilities as a tenant. Clearly neither is the landlord, but if things go south your next landlord might ask for a reference from the previous landlord. Plus presumably if he sorts this you are going to continue living there and thus still have to deal with him.

BTw I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that, in extreme cases, the council can do the work and recover the cost from the landlord. This is a bit like you moving out to live a in hotel or B & B and suing him for the cost of this. If, as he claims, he cannot afford a new heating system then you would win in court but still be out the money.

It is a most bizarre thing today, he must be familiar with the law, and have a credit card. Surely???
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2010 at 12:20PM
    Options

Can you clarify on this-has he told you that that he is not prepared to do the work-period? Because if so he is clearly in breach of his requirements under the tenancy agreement and in breach of the health and safety requirements. Or has he said that he can't do it immediately? What timescale (if any) has been put on it? I find it hard to believe that any landlord would just say 'no more heating or hot water at all'. Unless he is trying to encourage you to leave the property...
    Did the property have a valid gas safety certificate which by law it must have, and of which he is required to supply a copy to you?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sjp1966
    Options
    macman wrote: »

Yeah I agree with this, they need to legally provide hot water etc, i'd report him to the council.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport