PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    how about doing joints in it?

You could always take it back and get a smaller one if you think its too big. I would give it a whirl though, the big ones are great, happy cookin!
    :)
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got the receipt, so can't take it back. I live about 260 miles away from my parents so I really should've thought of that before I came back home, but it was only when I realised that the box is SOOOOO big that it may not be suitable for me. Anyway, i'll give it a go and see how it goes. Thanks.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Melt 71, don't dispare .... I have the 6lt Morphy Richard's one and there are only two of us. I wouldn't want a smaller one. I cook joints in it (shoulder and legs of lamb, gammon) and it takes a whole chicken (medium sized) very easily (and provides stock which I can use later). My other half now prefers joints and chickens done in the slow cooker over the main oven.

I also make enough for two meals when I use it for casseroles (I don't fill it to the top) - and pop the excess in the freezer to take to work for lunches (reheat in microwave) or have a main meal ready cooked for another day.

I think you'll find it more adaptable than you think. My OH was convinced that we would never use the large version but having read all the threads on here I opted for this as I could use it for the joints and for freezer meals.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I made the exact same meal today (lentils, sausage, stock - delicious!) but on the cooker top. Did I waste energy? How much less would it have cost in a slow cooker? (I fried the sausages with shallots first for five mins, and boiled the lentils for ten, then put the whole lot in a casserole dish for about 20 mins.)

My energy bills are high so I'd appreciate knowing about more economical ways of cooking.

Thanks
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea - I am planning on doing a sausage and lentil hotpot next week - was going to do it stovetop. Now I'll do it in SC instead ;)
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • pandaonmyshoulder
    Options
    sounds lovely how do you make it?
    Panda on My Shoulder

If you can make it cheaper do so. If it's not reduced, in Primark, off ebay or free I can't have it
    :rotfl:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seaxwyn wrote:
    My energy bills are high so I'd appreciate knowing about more economical ways of cooking.

Thanks

Hi Seaxwyn, this older thread might help : Question about slow cookers

Pink
  • loumac
    loumac Posts: 942 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'm converted.

SC for Xmas. Chicken chasseur on the 27th! Yay! And plenty left for tomorrow.

If it wasn't for all the advice on here I'd never have considered one.

Plans for 2007 - eat cheap and eat healthy! :A
    Wandered away from the MSE track for a while but am back and on a mission! Debts cleared nearly £18k. Now to start saving ...
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sare wrote:
    I got a slow cooker for Christmas and I'm attempted my first OS/Slow cooker creation.
    I've put sausages, lentils, stock and tinned tomatoes in.Will 6 hours be long enough to cook through?
    Apologies if there's a dedicated thread for this type of question.

This is the dedicated thread for these types of questions :)

I hope your meal turned out OK :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I cooked a piece of gammon in my SC on Christmas Eve and it was delicious I just put a few bits of chopped onion and a few sticks of carrot on the bottom of the SC and about 2ozs of water and bunged the gammon on the top.Swithched to slow and left it for 8 hours .The meat was lovely and moist and three lbs. of cooked ham for a fiver was a bargain I think. I usually cook my soups in my SC but am now going to cook more meat in there .No wastage of 'shinking' meat where it normally dries out in the oven
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure