PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• stumpjumper
    Options
    Sparky67 wrote:
    Having just started working full time I convinced the OH that a slow cooker would be a good idea, but I haven't managed to serve up anything edible yet - everything looks and tastes like overcooked chicken casserole....

I bought a large size one (Rival) with the thoughts of cooking joints/whole chickens, eat some save some. But I go to work at 8.30 and don't get home till 6 at the earliest - I leave it on low but...

Is it just on too long???

I put stuff in my SC at 7am then go to work then eat at around 6.30pm and it's always fine. I don't know anything about the brand you have, maybe try the low setting if it has one. Joints are fantastic in the SC, though they often end up so tender they fall apart so you can't carve them, which doesn't matter too much as it's yummy.
    2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:
  • Sparky67
    Sparky67 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am leaving it on the lowest setting - never having used one of these contraptions before how can I tell whether it's faulty? Has anyone else got the Rival large capacity one?
  • melou
    melou Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of people use timers on their slow cookers, but my cookworks SC instructions say not to use a timer. Is it safe and is there any reason why the manufacturer says I shouldn't do it?

TIA

Melou
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've found an elcetric knife a great investment for carving the ever so tender joints when they come out of the SC.

My SC doesn't have a timer I use one of these http://www.m-99.co.uk/Timer_Plug/timer.jpg if I need to and haven't had any problems. Some SCs have digital timers built in.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    melou wrote:
    Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of people use timers on their slow cookers, but my cookworks SC instructions say not to use a timer. Is it safe and is there any reason why the manufacturer says I shouldn't do it?

TIA

Melou
    That'll be because this very much depends on what you are cooking. Leaving chicken, or sea food, for example, at room temperature for several hours before cooking is not a good idea.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone tried yogurt in their slow cooker? I fancy trying chicken pieces in yogurt and tarragon with a little white wine and onions/shallots. Less fattening than using cream, but don't want it to curdle!
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you mix some of your yogurt with a spoonful of cornflour it should stabilise it and prevent it from curdling;)

:question: I've searched the SC index and can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know how long I should cook a suet roly poly pudding for in the SC ?

I'm making a savoury one for tea tomorrow with sausagemeat and bacon ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    :question: I've searched the SC index and can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know how long I should cook a suet roly poly pudding for in the SC ?

From my book "Crockpot Cooking" by Mary Norwack:-

Pour boiling water into the crockpot to come half way up the sides of the basin.

Cook on high for 5 hours.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • loumac
    loumac Posts: 942 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been sent an ebook with 470 slowcooker recipes. If anyone wants a copy feel free to pm me and I'll send it over.
    Wandered away from the MSE track for a while but am back and on a mission! Debts cleared nearly £18k. Now to start saving ...
  • ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sparky67 wrote:
    I am leaving it on the lowest setting - never having used one of these contraptions before how can I tell whether it's faulty? Has anyone else got the Rival large capacity one?

I have got this one and i love it I am leaving it on low all day too I am in the house but just leave it. sorry to hear you are having trouble using it

X anne
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport