PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options
I have noticed lots of people just want to ask a really simple one answer question about slow cooking. I thought it would be an idea therefore to have a thread to put those questions in, so we can keep them all together in future.

So here it is. What are your slow cooker quick questions?

:D I will have lots of questions.
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I could do with some help with this.....

I have a some beef, leeks, seasoning, cream and white wine in my slow cooker. I'd like to top it with sliced potatoes (hotpot style).

Is it better to take the beef out of the slow cooker, transfer to another dish, top with the potatoes and finish in the oven? Or can it be done successfully in the slow cooker?

Thanks,

Pink
  • PONDSAVER_2
    Options
    I have one too

I have only ever used my sc to do braising steak but would like to do a joint - do I add water to this?
    Lightbulb moment 10-06-06
    Total debt £36,996.70 June 2006
    Total debt approx £33,000 Oct 2006
    Jan 07....to be worked out but may have gone up GULP:confused: :mad: :eek:
    DFD March 2011
    DFW Nerd 111

19 jan 23 feb 5 weeks:( - grocery challenge £250
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PONDSAVER wrote:
    I have one too

I have only ever used my sc to do braising steak but would like to do a joint - do I add water to this?

Hi Pondsaver,

Any time I do a pot roast, I add a little bit of water or stock in the bottom with some onions and/or vegetables.

Pink
  • Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    oohh

thanks Gingham

I posted this on another thread - but it would be better here.

Hi & help

got my Swan 3.5l SC yesterday and tried to make porridge overnight. It ended up disgusting - top thick and hard, underneath runny and thin, mixed together to become a lumpy mess. And I had to soak the pot to get all the stuck porridge off the bottom.

I did what the recipe said - 250ml porridge, 750ml water (which is the same proportion as my packet of oats said, and the proportion I successfully use on the hob) and some salt. Put in and cooked on low for 8 hours.

What did I do wrong? What should I have done?:confused:

This is making me nervous of using it for cooking food which actually costs money.

thanks in anticipation
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I could do with some help with this.....

I have a some beef, leeks, seasoning, cream and white wine in my slow cooker. I'd like to top it with sliced potatoes (hotpot style).

Is it better to take the beef out of the slow cooker, transfer to another dish, top with the potatoes and finish in the oven? Or can it be done successfully in the slow cooker?

Thanks,

Pink

I have done this in the slow cooker and found that the potatoes cook fine, but don't have the same crispy texture as when done in the oven. My slow cooker pot is suitable for use in the oven - is yours? This would save messing round transferring the stuff between dishes. ;)
  • bizzylizzy
    Options
    Peem wrote:
    oohh

thanks Gingham

I posted this on another thread - but it would be better here.

Hi & help

got my Swan 3.5l SC yesterday and tried to make porridge overnight. It ended up disgusting - top thick and hard, underneath runny and thin, mixed together to become a lumpy mess. And I had to soak the pot to get all the stuck porridge off the bottom.

I did what the recipe said - 250ml porridge, 750ml water (which is the same proportion as my packet of oats said, and the proportion I successfully use on the hob) and some salt. Put in and cooked on low for 8 hours.

What did I do wrong? What should I have done?:confused:

This is making me nervous of using it for cooking food which actually costs money.

thanks in anticipation

I had the same problem when I tried porridge overnight. I have successfully cooked casseroles in the SC though so don't let the porridge disaster put you off! Rice pudding is v. easy and delicious too.
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    Hi I am just about to buy a slow cooker, just wondered if i am making chicken casseroles / tagines/ curries etc is it better to use breasts or other cuts like thighs?
    As my neighbour said the thights on the bone have a better flavour and are cheaper.
    any opinions
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I always used to use chicken breasts but started using chicken thighs recently. Cant really tell much difference except the meat falls off the bone in the slow cooker so you just have to fish the bones out.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was working all the hours of the day that god invented, and a few more he'd never heard of, I was one of very few people in the world who had an account at a local Indian restaurant. They were firm believers that meat cooked on the bone is better. It does seem more flavoursome and succulent to me.

Honest :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Carcass and water with herbs etc (inc the juices I collected fromt eh roasting pan) went into SC about 10pm on low. will overnight be enough to make stock or does it need longer??

I can;t put it on in the day tomorrow cos I am out of the house for 12 hours and that's a bit long to leave it unattended I feel. Will stick it in fridge until I get home.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure