PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    I've added your post to the quick questions thread so hopefully someone will come along soon with the answer. (Which is yes, but I don't know how I'm afraid!)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Happy_Bunny_6
    Options
    I read somewhere that it was safe to do baked potatoes wrapped in foil in the slow cooker. but I'm not sure if it's ok to use without liquid.
    Anyone know for sure
  • zippybungle
    Options
    Can someone please bump me the Slow Cooker recipes thread (I'm sure I have seen one before, but can't find it :o
    I got a Slow Cooker for Xmas (i wanted one ;) ) but now don't know how to cook food in it :o
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • sare_2
    sare_2 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    I got a slow cooker for Christmas and I'm attempted my first OS/Slow cooker creation.
    I've put sausages, lentils, stock and tinned tomatoes in.Will 6 hours be long enough to cook through?
    Apologies if there's a dedicated thread for this type of question.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    6 hours should be fine! Did you part cook the sausages first? They will be cooked enough, but sometimes I find that if I dont blast them first they go very soft and break up. Also, were the lentils pre-soaked or tinned?

Good Luck and dont keep taking the lid off:D

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you're all having a good Christmas :j

I am now the proud owner of a slow cooker, BUT, they've bought me a large one (I had wanted a 3.5L as there is only 3 of us!).

Can I make this work for me? I would be happy to use it just a couple of times a week and make larger quantities and freeze the extra portions? Is that my only option? I've heard it has be at least half full to work :confused:

Also, I've tried looking for all the threads to do with slow cookers (recipes, tips etc) but I can't find them. My search facility doesn't appear to be working at the moment. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I want to really try and cook down on my food bill next month so I am desperate to make this work for me. Thanks for any replies in advance :)
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • sare_2
    sare_2 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!
    I browned the sausages first and I boiled the lentils for 5 minutes too.
    And it's very tempting to keep looking at it!
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    I think the joy of a slow cooker for me is that I CAN just cook once then have plenty of frozen meals to just heat up another day. I would be over the moon with a bigger one. You're only using the electricity once, you're saving loads of time and you have lots of healthy, tasty ready meals at your disposal.

There is a slow cooker quick questions thread. I'll look it out and merge this to it. And I'll see if I can find you some other useful links later today.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I had a large 6l one and it was far, far too big (2 adults, 2 teens and 2 toddlers). With only a fridge/freezer (on the small side) I couldn't even freeze portions as I simply didn't have the room.

Gave it away in the end and looking for a nice small one.

But there are some great recipes on Old Style - check out the sticky at the top of the board.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    I hadn't thought of that. Our freezer is pretty big.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure