PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't put any liquid in with it!!!! I made this mistake first time around, ended up with a boiled chicken rather than roast:rotfl:

Loads of liquid will come out iof the chicken, even a good quality one which isn't pumped full of water will have loads of juices run out which make fab gravey:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I would put in a roughly chopped carrot and onion spread over the base of the SC with a bit of hot water and sit the chicken on top. My SC has an "auto" setting which starts off high and then cooks on a low temperature, I shove the chicken in all day and it's fine in the evening. No-one ever got food-poisoning anyway! When it's cooked there will be tasty juices in the pot to make gravy with.

Dunno about HM yorkies, mine are horrible so I get the 10p packet mix ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you only need just enough water in to cover the bottom of the pot. This allows the water to make a seal around the lid. Then, as everyone has said, you'll get plenty of juices from the chicken.

You talk of "roasting"... the chicken skin does not crisp up the way it does in an oven but people have had success with putting their chicken into a very hot oven for ten minutes or so, or even under the grill just to finish it off nicely.

As for yorkshire puddings, straight from the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky we have...

Yorkshire puddings:
    - Batter mix
    - BIG yorkshire puddings?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I'm planning to cook the filling for a steak and kidney pie in the SC. I use simply steak, kidney, onions (all browned off first) and water with a couple of bay leaves. I add stock cubes at the end and then make pies with a layer of potato and a layer of pastry on top.

Normally in the oven I cook the steak and kidney together for an hour and a half - if I am putting it in the SC instead and leaving all day is it still OK to out the steak and kidney in together - or does the kidney need a reduced amount of cooking time?

Hope someone can help!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi annie,

I did steak and kidney in the slow cooker last week and put the kidney in at the same time as the steak.........it was lovely and the kidney didn't suffer from being cooked so long. I did mine in much the same way as you are thinking of but I added some stock, worcester sauce and a dash of brown sauce too.

Pink
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't been able to use my slow cooker yet (christmas pressie :rolleyes:), but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the lovely tips and ideas you have given me :)

Linzi x
  • Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    hi

I'm doing pretty well with the slow cooker - learning to adjust liquid etc.

However, I find that while the food is cooking we get a strong smell of burning. The food is fine, and tastes fine. What I think is happening is that the sloppy bits round the edge (ie that which has slopped up while I've been putting the stuff in) and sometimes the edge of the casserole itself, burns slightly.

Is there a simple way to avoid this? Once you remove the lid the true smell comes through and all is fine. But it's pretty revolting (and concerning) to come into a burn smell.

Should I wipe down the bowl once I have loaded it up?

many thanks

Edit to say - I don't mean I'm spilling all over the cooker, just that there's some sauce higher up the sides of the internal bowl than the majority of the casserole (I hope this makes sense - didn't want you to think I was flinging it in and splashing everywhere, even I'm not that messy):o
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I put a whole chicken in slow cooker yesterday pm with a few veggies,
    Stupidly thinking by the time i got home from bonfire party at 9pm it would be cooked,i could let it go cold and put in fridge for tonights tea, it wasn't, so i had to leave it longer, anyhow my question is by the time it was cooked it was to late to put in fridge:eek: and when i woke this morning it was still warm:eek: can it be saved or should i bin it:o
    Thanks in advance
  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    mom23 wrote:
    Hi
    I put a whole chicken in slow cooker yesterday pm with a few veggies,
    Stupidly thinking by the time i got home from bonfire party at 9pm it would be cooked,i could let it go cold and put in fridge for tonights tea, it wasn't, so i had to leave it longer, anyhow my question is by the time it was cooked it was to late to put in fridge:eek: and when i woke this morning it was still warm:eek: can it be saved or should i bin it:o
    Thanks in advance
    Just thought i'd let you know that i didn't bin it, we ate it and are still alive to tell the tale!
  • fluffyscruffy
    Options
    If so, how, please? Has anyone tried it or have any recpies or tips?
    Thanks
    You can if you think you can!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family