PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options
1161162163164165167»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sorry, can't help.
    I'd cook a joint like that for less than 15 mins per lb and when it was cooked, rested & carved, tip the blood into the gravy.

But I am related to Hannibal Lecter. :D
    Do you have any faver beans? :)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mama_bear wrote: »
    Hi all I have a 2.1kg beef roasting joint that I want to have for dinner tomorrow afternoon. Thinking of bunging it in the slow cooker on top of a few chopped onions and carrots and putting it on low for convenience. How long would I need to cook it for? Would 8 hours be too much/little? It'd be great if I could put it on going to bed tonight and have it ready in the morning :)

Depends on what type of roasting joint it is. Brisket yes but rib no. The timing would differ.
  • mama_bear_3-2
    Options
    Agh god damn me for buying it in a blind panic in tesco when I realised the lamb was sold out, it doesn't specify on the pack what cut it is! It just says 'Beef Roasting Joint'. The instructions say to cook at 170 degrees for 35 minutes per pound so I presume it's not brisket or rib.... Perhaps I should just chuck it in the slow cooker first thing and keep and eye on the internal temperature.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mama_bear wrote: »
    Agh god damn me for buying it in a blind panic in tesco when I realised the lamb was sold out, it doesn't specify on the pack what cut it is! It just says 'Beef Roasting Joint'. The instructions say to cook at 170 degrees for 35 minutes per pound so I presume it's not brisket or rib.... Perhaps I should just chuck it in the slow cooker first thing and keep and eye on the internal temperature.

I hate the lack of specifics between labelling and recipes. Never sure what anything really is.

I'd lob it in and think about eating it after 5 hours (based on the weight/time the instructions said for oven roasting) + 1 hour "to be sure". I'd just be watching how it looked after 4 hours and thinking about turning it if it looked a bit dry or grim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure