PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I dusted off my slow cooker today (been in cupboard for several years now) I find it only has one heat setting. I am currently doing chicken thighs and carrots, onions and a leek. I'm experimenting with doing some of the (6) chicken bits with skin and some without and some skinside down and some skinside up to see what happens. But can anyone tell me what my one heat level is likely to be ? Low, high or medium ? I put it on at about midday and hope it'll be done by 8pm, but I am wondering quite what it will do - any ideas ?:confused:
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    I'm doing some online searches too but could any of the slow cooker experts here tell me if you've seen cheaper than £9.99 for a 3.3 Litre, 3-heat setting slow cooker at the moment? It seems like a pretty good price to me.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Argos have one for £8.99, but its 3.5L not 3.3L.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    aldi are doing a 6.5l one for £19.99.
    :)
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    Hi I am really excited as I've just bought my 1st slow cooker in tescos.
    Its 3.5 ltrs and has 3 heat settings, its tesco's own make and is a nice chrome one and best of all was 1/2 price at £9.98:j

Goint to try it out on monday, can anyone offer advice on the following:

1 Got lots of chicken breast with the skin on, should i remove it or leave it on for most casserole type recepies? (might do a tagine)

2 Anyone made a thai curry in one using coconut milk? if so how did it turn out, and would you add extra water?
    thanks , can't wait to get started.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I've just gone to Tescos and got the half price one too. I've been looking in the mega index thread at the veggie recipes as I'm a vegetarian, but it doesn't say how long you cook any of them!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    suep wrote:
    Yes I've just gone to Tescos and got the half price one too. I've been looking in the mega index thread at the veggie recipes as I'm a vegetarian, but it doesn't say how long you cook any of them!

most recipees can be cooked from 3/4 hours to up to 8/9 without harm on low.
    I got a cheap bok about £2.99 from the bookpeople nice big hardback don't know if it still available
  • little_miss_welsh
    Options
    I got a slow cooker from LX direct. Its a 3.5L swan one with three heat settings and is polished steel on the outside. Its an oval one so you can do chickens easily in it

It was £16.99 from LX direct but as i was a new customer i got £10 off my first order and free delivery - so i got it delivered for £6.99. Bargain

Search the vouchers group/google 'uk vouchers' and it comes up with a site for the codes or search on this site 'slow cooker' - thats how i found the deal.
    Re-embracing the Money Saving Way of Life after a little lapse!
  • MissScarlett_3
    Options
    liz.. wrote:
    aldi are doing a 6.5l one for £19.99.

Bought one today, have prepared vegetables ready for tomorrow I will add stewing beef and pop on at 6am.

I didnt realise that you didn't need to add water all of the time, obviously I am tomorow as it's a casserole but you can put a joint of meat/chicken pieces in with no liquid?:confused:
  • debbie26pet
    Options
    i always have put liquid in even with a chicken but i use a full chicken its lovelyq
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure