PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question about slow cookers

Options
I've read a lot about slow cookers and have taken the plunge and finally bought myself one (£11.49 - half price in Argos at the moment!)
I've used it twice and made two very nice meals but just want to know, do they use a lot of electricity? I'm using mine every day on a low setting for 8 hours. I don't want to get a shock when my electricity bill comes in.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Cheers!

Comments

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    It has been discussed here before but no worries ;)

A slow cooker uses very little electricity - about the same amount as leaving a normal light switched on.

HTH
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tjohn,

Welcome to MSE.

I found this review on slow cookers and how economical they are useful.

Pink
  • tjohn
    tjohn Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you! I knew it would be on here somewhere but couldn't seem to find it. Well I'm ok with that if it means I have a hot meal to come home to each night. Thanks for the info. I was starting to worry about my bill. I can relax now!!!! :D
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Here is a link re electricity usage and it does mention that slow cooking/crockpot cooking etc is dirt cheap. Although American in origin, a lot of relevant info.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cooking.html

Well Done on bagging the bargain at Argos BTW. :money:
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • tjohn
    Options
    Just in case anyone is looking for a bargain slow cooker, copy and paste the line below and it should bring it up. It's currently £11.49 in Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4225173.htm

I'm really happy with mine and glad it was such a bargain!
  • tjohn
    Options
    P.S it looks beige but it's actually chrome
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tjohn,

I found the discussion on how economical slow cookers are. It's on the Buying a slow cooker (which? & why?) thread, and begins around post 142#.

I'll merge your thread into that one shortly.

Pink
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tjohn wrote:
    Just in case anyone is looking for a bargain slow cooker, copy and paste the line below and it should bring it up. It's currently £11.49 in Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4225173.htm

I'm really happy with mine and glad it was such a bargain!

And if have nectar points as well even more as bargain as I had £5 worth making it £6.49 :j

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • lindadykes
    Options
    Got mine this morning, used nectar points so only cost me £1.49!. Plan to try it tomorrow with a bhuna chicken curry in it.
  • chloe99_2
    chloe99_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    hi there - have read through the crock pot threads and whilst I really want one I don't know if I really NEED one!!

I bung a casserole in the oven about 3 times a week and I'd really like to know your ideas as to why I would need a crockpot (go on, tell me, I really need a good excuse!!) as the only one I can think of is POSSIBLY running costs.

It takes 45mins to warm up my electric oven (stupid thing) plus say 1hr 45 mins to cook chicken and 2 hrs 30 to cook meat. So, total ON time in a week is approx 8.25hrs at approx 1kwh = 36kwh per month. This was looking good when I read that they are usually the same wattage as a light bulb (= 100w x say 6 hrs to cook x 3 times per week = 7.8kwh per month giving a good annual post-price rise electricity saving of approx £22 per year at 6.5p per kwh - woohoo!!!!!)

BUT, I read in one thread that the newer slow cookers have higher wattages than they used to and so 300w for 6 hours per meal won't really be much of a saving (£9.81 per year to be precise).

Please could you post any ideas/benefits of crock pot over traditional casserolein the oven, but most of all, your model, its capacity, and its wattage (plus maybe price if you don't mind?). Thank you everyone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback