PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Glad
Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
whenever I go to Costco I always stock up on their minced beef, it's the offcuts from their Aberdeen Angus steaks so is really good, when I get home I freeze it in smaller portions.
It's used for Bolognese, Lasagne, Chilli-con-carne and Cottage Pie, but the following recipe I use when I've not got much in the cupboards and we fancy something tasty,

cooking oil
tsp cumin seeds
2 chillies (fresh, dried or from jar)
450g lean mince
large onion
1 inch cube ginger
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsps cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
tin of tomatoes or 4 fresh skinned
1/2 tub nat yoghurt
150 ml water
100g frozen peas
tbsp ground almonds
1/2 tsp garam masala

heat oil and cook cumin seeds until popped,
add mince, onions and chillis, cook until browned,
add ginger and garlic fry for 2 mins,
stir in turmeric, cumin and chilli powder and fry for 2 mins,
add tomatoes and juice, cook for further 8 mins,
add water and yoghurt and peas, simmer gently for 15 mins,
stir in ground almonds and simmer for 3 mins,
remove from heat, stir in garam masala and serve,

this is a fairly adaptable dish and I usually have most ingredients in, I have substituted ground ginger for fresh etc, the timings are approx as i don't have a recipe anymore for this, but don't need to be exact

it's loosely based on a Kheema Matter and we have it with basmati rice.

It would be nice to know of any other different ways to serve mince as I always have some in :D
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do a very simple dish with mince;

Plum tomatoes
    lightly fried onions
    mushrooms
    sweetcorn
    garlic
    courgette
    balsamic vinegar
    either basil (fresh) or dried italian seasoning.

I like it!!!

(quantities - are whatever I have at the time - but work it out if you want?!)

M
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My OH did a mix tonight which worked very well I have to say.

1 Pack sainsburys econ mince
    1 onion
    3 slices bread made into breadcrumbs
    2 birdseye chillis deseeded finely chopped
    big handfull of coriander, finely hopped
    salt
    pepper

Mix together and shape into burgers. Fry gently in a dry non stick pan to seal. Place on an oven tray and cook until ready.

We served ours with skinny chips and a homemade tomato sauce. Tomato sauce was a table spoon of crushed garlic, teaspoon of salt and a splash of red wine we had in the kitchen. Reduced down in a pan until nice and thick, then threwin a handful of torn up basil.

Yummy! :D
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    might try the costco mince - sounds good. can't buy economy mince as i find it awful quality in comparison to lean steak mince.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    that sounds nice arkonite, we often make our own burgers, but will give your sauce a try, yum

costco mince is definitely superior chardonnay, they cut their own steaks there and when the peice of beef is getting a bit thin for decent sized steaks the mince it, so the mince is same quality as the steak, it's usually about the same price as good mince from supermarkets but worth it
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    i make what we call a stomboli by making up a batch of dough in the bread machine.

i roll the dough out on a well greased baking sheet and add the following:

tomato sauce or puree or spag bog sauce
    cooked and drained mince
    sauteed onion
    other veg (usually peppers but whatever you've got it fine)
    and some cheese that needs using up

you can use your imagination and leftovers with this.

use the back of a spoon to spread the tomato sauce to the edges of the dough (you can use a creamy sauce if you prefer or omit altogether) then you simply spread the mixture to just shy of the edge of the rolled out dough and then roll the dough up like a log. sprinkle some cheese on top and bake at 200C for about 15-20 minutes (stick a fork or knife in, it's done when it comes out clean).

the recipe i use in my breadmachine is as follows (you may have to adjust for your machine)

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    3-4 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cups self rising flour (or strong bread flour if you like)
    1 tsp salt in a corner of the flour, well covered
    1.5 tsp dry yeast (for breadmakers) in a well in the centre of flour, covered

i then add flavourings as desired, usually garlic granules and the seasoning mixture from lidl (it's chives/garlic/parsley, £1.49/jar) you can add cheese sauce powder, parsley flakes, oregano, whatever

i put this on my dough setting and then use as mentioned above when it's ready

bon appetit!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I saw Jamie Oliver make something similar using breakfast ingredients and always wanted to try it! ... thanks for reminding me about it :T
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Callyanna
    Callyanna Posts: 82 Forumite
    this is what i'm cooking today, very tasty and just a little bit different..think it's South African in origin!

BOBOTIE

1 slice white bread
    7 fl oz milk
    1 tbs oil
    1 onion peeled and chopped
    1lb minced steak
    1 tbs curry powder
    1 eating apple
    2 oz raisins
    1 tbs lime or lemon juice
    2 tbs mango chutney
    2 eggs

Break bread in pieces and soak in half milk.Set aside
    Preheat oven to Gas 4/180C
    Heat oil and cook onion till soft
    Add mince and curry powder and cook till meat browns
    Add peeled, diced apple and cook 1 min
    Add bread, raisins, juice and chutney and heat through
    Transfer to ovenproof dish
    Beat eggs with remaining milk and season
    Pour over meat mix and bake 40 mins

All you need is a salad to go with this..it's very filling!
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    these recipes sound great.
    will use them when I start the grocery challenge so thanks guys!
  • HOLsale
    I saw Jamie Oliver make something similar using breakfast ingredients and always wanted to try it! ... thanks for reminding me about it :T

is that my stromboli you're referring to?

i suppose you could do that actually, you could do the same basic bread recipe but use veg oil instead of olive oil and instead of garlic etc you could add dried fruit/nuts/seeds and use cinnamon and cloves etc

then for the mixture you could add in maybe some chutney and bacon or maybe some dried fruits that had been soaked for a bit like apricots, sultanas and pineapple, mango etc a bit of coconut etc mmmmm sounds good, i might have to try that now :T
  • HOLsale
    mmmm that bobotie sounds really nice, i'll have to give it a go!

i like 'weird' african food, they aren't afraid to mix flavours together that most people would balk at, and with such success!

i used to make west african chicken and ground nut stew all the time and people loved it, i just never told them it had peanut butter in with all the tomatoes and chilli peppers ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure