PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Comments

• CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Deffo plain mince
    Mince, 2 oxos, chopped onions, 1/2pint bisto.
    Brown mince, crumble oxos, stir, add onions, add bisto and stir.Leave for a wee whiley, and serve with potatoes.
    We had this last nite..canny beat mince n totties!!
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • shopsalot
    shopsalot Posts: 154 Forumite
    Chilli

mince
    onion
    chilli powder
    baked beans (oh doesnt like kidney)
    tin chopped toms
    oxo cube

Total cost - approx £1.60 ish cooking time £30 mins (add rice, or my fav - tortillas/nachos and grated cheese)

Spag bol

Mince
    onion
    tinned toms (x2)
    dried basil
    spoon of marmite - try it its good!
    spoon of pesto if you have it but not essential
    oxo cube

Ttoal cost £1.50 is - cooking time 30 mins - serve with pasta and cheese

Turn the above into lasange by layering with pasta sheets and a simple cheese sauce (knob butter, bit of flour, milk , grated cheese) - cook twenty mins in pan, bake thirty mins in oven.

Shepherds pie

Mince
    onion
    gravy granuals
    4 jacket potatoes (i find jackets make best mash, but for speed use boiled)

total cost - £1.80 (depending on size of potatoes - lots of small ones will be cheaper) - sprinle with cheese, bake for 20/30 mins eat with red sauce - yum!

Thats my basics, if you would like my haphazard cooking methods let me know!
    DFW Nerd 156 :hello:
    April Grocery Challenge £31.38/£200
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi melt,

There are lots of mince recipes on these older threads:

More exciting mince when it's all you've got

Help with mince

Pink
  • memorygirl
    memorygirl Posts: 178 Forumite
    Meatballs !!!! OK maybe its just me.

400g mince
    I onion - blitzed in a blender
    Salt and pepper

Sqush through your fingers until smooth then roll little sweetie sized meatballs.

Blitz 2 tins of tomatoes and 2 garlic cloves and put in the slow cooker. Add the meatballs and leave until teatime.

Yummy with pasta - but also with a Monster Mustard Mash.

Memorygirl

PS Slow cooking the meatballs means that they hold their shape because they are not jiggled about by simmering
    GOALS - by June 11 2009 - My big 4-0
    Mortgage of £70K / Got £126 2 years salary £12K/ Got £00
    O/pay Mortgage every month 12 / 0 Weight target 10st 7lbs / Currently 12st 10lbs.
    Furnish house on £1K/ Spent £100
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If you're any good at making pancackes, then what about this:

Brown the mince, add chopped onion and cook until softened, add bisto or whatever you normally use to make a thick gravy, then leave it simmering very gently.

Sweat some mushrooms in butter, then add flour to make a roux, then add milk to make a sauce. Leave on a very low heat.

Make a batch of crepe pancakes.

Wrap some of the mince into each pancake to make rolls, then place in a serving dish. Pour mushroom sauce over the top and put in the oven for a few minutes to make sure it's all piping hot.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is my absolute favourite recipe for chilli con carne. I don't put the beans in as I think they spoil the taste!

1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    olive oil
    500g lean minced beef
    12 oz beef stock
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    140g tin tomato puree
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1-2 teaspoon mild chilli powder
    half teaspoon salt

Fry onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft, add the mince and cook until it is no longer pink.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, covered for 1 hour. (During this time taste to see if you prefer more chilli powder or cumin.)

Easy!

(If you like the beans, just drain a can of red kidney beans, add them to the mixture after you have cooked it for the hour and carry on cooking for another half an hour)
  • How long do you leave this in the slowcook?
    memorygirl wrote:
    Meatballs !!!! OK maybe its just me.

400g mince
    I onion - blitzed in a blender
    Salt and pepper

Sqush through your fingers until smooth then roll little sweetie sized meatballs.

Blitz 2 tins of tomatoes and 2 garlic cloves and put in the slow cooker. Add the meatballs and leave until teatime.

Yummy with pasta - but also with a Monster Mustard Mash.

Memorygirl

PS Slow cooking the meatballs means that they hold their shape because they are not jiggled about by simmering
    :eek:

:wall:
  • i love my nans mince can be use with mash or shepards pie well anything you like really.
    mince dry fryed until its not read any more, add onion and gravy granules and cook till done then serve, takes little effort and little time and its great! i have also added peas to it on occasion for a bit of colour!
  • RubyMurray
    RubyMurray Posts: 246 Forumite
    Hello all, my first post!

Our favourite mince thing is 'mince stew', my kids are mad on this. Dry fry some mince in a big saucepan then add onions and chopped carrots, sweat for a bit, add 1 or 2 oxo cubes, a splash of worcestershire sauce, a little squirt of ketchup or tomato puree and some s & p. Add some water (about 3/4 of a pint) and simmer slowly for about half to one hour, or until you can be bothered with it. Now you can add some peas and/or sweetcorn, or sometimes I chop green beans into little slices with scissors, bring to the boil again and add some Bisto or gravy granules until you have a nice thick gravy. Serve with a pile of mashed potato as big as your head! (Or you can serve it in giant Yorkshire puddings).
    Swagbucks earnings since 22/05/2012 £135 paypal cash
    Clicksense earnings since 16/10/2012 $100.56 paypal cash
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Thanks everyone,

I made chilli last night and it was lovely.

Does anybody have recipes for lasange? I made it years ago but can't remember how! I have mince and would like to put quite a bit of veg in it, I have the pasta sheets and cheese but can't remember how to make the cheesy sauce!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure