🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Options

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aputsiaq wrote: »
    Not really as it is being phased out gradually anyway.

Where did you hear that?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Aputsiaq
    Aputsiaq Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    You mean ignorant, judgemental people who have no idea what they're talking about and think they know more about the disabled persons' needs than the disabled person?
    If you are referring to people in this thread, my observations are the ignorant and judgemental opinions are coming from the disabled people and are directed towards posters such as OldernotWiser, Kriskross, even myself.
    I haven't seen theses posters be rude once...unlike yourself.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where did you hear that?

It's being frozen for 3 years and there's been an increase in Child Tax Credit which is means tested. It's not hard to surmise that by making the benefit less valuable it'll be easier to ditch it in a few years time.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    If you are referring to people in this thread, my observations are the ignorant and judgemental opinions are coming from the disabled people and are directed towards posters such as OldernotWiser, Kriskross, even myself.
    I haven't seen theses posters be rude once...unlike yourself.

Excuse me?

You're the one saying children "grow out" of autism & ADHD.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not really as it is being phased out gradually anyway.

OK lets change it to:

FUN QUESTION...

Shall we suggest that Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit gets paid direct to Children's Social Services and that parents should apply to central purchasing to obtain nappies, cream and wipes and everything else that can be proven to be a legitimate child related cost?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Aputsiaq
    Options
    Excuse me?

You're the one saying children "grow out" of autism & ADHD.
    Now please stop making things up as you go along.
    Could you please point me to the post that I have made where I mention children growing out of ADHD?
    Also, my views are valid and I have written them down politely.Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less valid.

People who express a view that differs from your own are not being rude.

People who make things up, call people names, demand answers and generally are confrontational are.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That could be said for most disabilities. However, it still doesn't man they don't have needs that need to be addressed.

I agree. However if someone is claiming DLA for a particular thing they need help with and then they areable to overcome the difficulty through learning coping stategies, then they won't need the DLA for that particular thing. If they learn enough coping strategies, then they won't be entitled to DLA at all.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondered what other peoples experiences of DLA medicals have been like?

I was diagnosed with M.E. in january 2007
    Have made 2 applications for DLA and been turned down

The doctor who came to do my 'medical examination'
    asked me if I could stand on one leg
    and if I could touch my nose with my eyes closed?

I'd laugh, but being practically housebound and unable to do hardly anything for over 3 yrs just takes the edge off the funny side

As for my GP :rotfl:
    he says there is no point going to see him as I have amongst other things M.E. and Chronic Pain Syndrome
    Any health problems are therefore just put down to this, including my request for an angiogram (family history of serious heart problems)
    when I said I thought I was going to have a heart attack ...
    answer was that my cholesterol and BP were fine and that they couldn't do tests 'willy nilly'

8 days later I had a heart attack
    It's often nice to be the youngest person, but not in coronary care

The consultant wrote to my GP asking for him to make several appts for me regarding physical symptoms he was concerned about

My GP said 'there's no point in him making them' as I have M.E.
    That was in March this year
    So I see nobody from the 'medical profession' about anything
    I have an appt for january 2012 to see the heart consultant
    So much for the Nice guidelines :rotfl:

Establish a supportive and collaborative relationship with the person with CFS/ME and their carers.
    This is particularly important for children and young people, and for people with severe CFS/ME.
    Assign a named healthcare professional to be responsible for coordinating the person’s care.
    Provide accurate information at all stages, from when a diagnosis is first being considered.
    Tailor information to the person’s circumstances, including the stage and duration of the condition,
    symptoms, and personal and social factors.
    Make information available in a variety of formats if appropriate (printed copy, electronic and audio).
    Information should cover:
    – possible causes, nature and course of CFS/ME
    – local and national self-help and support groups for people with CFS/ME and their carers
    – the NHS Expert Patients Programme (see www.expertpatients.nhs.uk or www.eppwales.org).
    Healthcare professionals caring for people with CFS/ME should have appropriate skills and expertise in
    the condition.
    Offer every person diagnosed with CFS/ME:
    – acceptance and understanding
    – help negotiating the healthcare, benefits and social care systems
    – help with occupational activities, including work and education if appropriate (see page 12).
    Develop an individualised management plan with the person, and their carers if appropriate,
    including:
    – relevant symptoms and history
    – plans for care and treatment, including managing setbacks/relapses
    – information and support needs
    – any education, training or employment support needs
    – details (and contact details) of the healthcare professionals involved.
    Review the plan at each contact and document any changes.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    Now please stop making things up as you go along.
    Could you please point me to the post that I have made where I mention children growing out of ADHD?
    Also, my views are valid and I have written them down politely.Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less valid.

People who express a view that differs from your own are not being rude.

People who make things up, call people names, demand answers and generally are confrontational are.

Post #588.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • Aputsiaq
    Options
    Post #588.
    Post 588 does not say anything whatsoever about children growing out of ADHD.
    As I said, stop making things up.

I will no longer bother to reply to your posts as I feel you are trolling and/or trying to cause arguments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport