Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Options

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those saying that the money shouldn't be given and that companies should be paid directly - that would cost so much more to administer. Or did you not think about that?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I see your point at the moment but if the system were to be changed then the administration of it could be simplified, as it is for the Motability scheme.

As I said, cost cutting isn't the most important part of it for me, neither is the cutting down of unnecessary claims. I think that these might be desirable side effects but not the main purpose.

Totally agree. We have lots of laws and services including DLA in place and many disabled people are still living in standards they should not be. Not receiving support and equipment they need so it kinda says the systems we have in place including DLA aint working and needs to be fixed!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Totally agree. We have lots of laws and services including DLA in place and many disabled people are still living in standards they should not be. Not receiving support and equipment they need so it kinda says the systems we have in place including DLA aint working and needs to be fixed!

I couldn't agree more.
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are joking I hope? You don't get very far teaching Literacy and Numeracy to either adults or teenagers if you're a dragon lady.

You seem to also ignore the fact that I'm married to someone with a disability, and my father was also registered disabled. Take your ignorant assumptions elsewhere.

Be fair they are not exactly assumptions are they? Most peoples comments i hope are based on the vast bulk of your previous posts which follow the same trend IE
    I have no problems, so it must be allright for everyone else.
    It works for me,So it must work for everyone else.
    I'M right so the law and everybody else must be wrong.
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    For me it's nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with providing disabled people with the help they need.

Obviously, I meant that's what it's about for the government, not necessarily for the people in this thread. At least, I thought that was obvious, but it seems not.

I honestly don't think paying everything directly would simplify the system, from the way it stands.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    However, I don't see why items being provided direct should mean that people have no choice. It should be perfectly possible for someone to research mobility scooters and wheelchairs and then put in a request for the one they have chosen and then to have it provided for them.

But you're still missing the fundamental point of DLA. This might help:

"Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is the principal benefit available to children and working age adults to help them meet the additional costs that can arise because of disability. […] The Government acknowledges that studies which have attempted to measure the extra costs associated with disability often argue that DLA rates should be increased. However, that ignores the basis on which DLA is founded; to provide a broad-brush contribution towards the generality of extra costs faced by disabled people"

The Best Start in Life? Alleviating deprivation, improving social mobility and eradicating child poverty: Government Response to the Committee's Second Report of Session 2007-08
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Where does the right to DLA come from? I get £90.00 per week DLA. High care, low mobility. Have mental health problems.

NONE of this goes to anybody to help me! Partner gets Carer's Allowance. Even being on DLA I still have a question and opinion.

why not give ALL the DLA money to Social services etc and they provide the required. If nothing is required like me, axe the money!

Have never got in to my head how I can get £90.00 per week DLA when I have no outgoing due to my health. Or where does the right come from to get DLA, can the UK Govt not just withdraw this? Or does it come from the EU?

I claim as I can, simple as that! Just because I get DLA does not mean I 100% support the concept.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bryando wrote: »
    I claim as I can, simple as that! Just because I get DLA does not mean I 100% support the concept.

No-one forces you to claim it.
    why not give ALL the DLA money to Social services etc and they provide the required.

And for those who require equipment, what happens?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • LindsayO
    LindsayO Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    For me the problem with being given the goods directly rather than the money is that my needs change sometimes week by week. I can lose the use of my legs or arms without warning, so sometimes I need incontenece products, sometimes bibs, sometimes bibs and help with feeding. Since I know immediately what I need I am able to manage those needs directly if I am given the money directly. If I have to involve someone else in the management of those needs, it would slow the process down and I would need to be assessed for each thing that I needed. The people doing the assessing and supplying would need to be paid too. Motability works party because it is for an expensive item, that does not need replacing often. However for consumables like incontenence pads I don't think it would work so well.

So for me the problem isn't with lack of choice of supplier, I need flexibility of choice of what goods and services I can access. To me it makes much more sense if I can access them by buying them for myself. Perhaps for people with more stable or predictable needs, the direct supply of goods would work better.

I also think that people are worried about their future, even though it is quite far into the future, because if their DLA is cut and they cannot work then there is nothing thet can do to earn more money. Imagine being on a very limited income and looking at a future where that limited income may be cut and knowing that you cannot get a job. People are looking at a future where they may have to choose between food and incontenece products.
    LindsayO
    Goal: mortgage free asap
    15/10/2007: Mortgage: £110k Term: 17 years
    18/08/2008: Mortgage: £107k Mortgage - Offset savings: £105k
    02/01/2009: Mortgage: £105k Mortgage - Offset savings: £99k

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    All the people who are being arrogant & supercilious in this thread would do well to think that one day, it will maybe be them who is ill .. What goes around comes around !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure