Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Options

Comments

• krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    For people who have to regularly buy disability related things (creams, wipes, etc) or have to pay for taxis everywhere, then yes. Where I am now, (Plymouth) only wheelchair users get help with th cost of taxis.

Baby wipes are about 50p for 80. Ordinary zinc and castor oil or sudacreme is a couple of quid. Surely you aren't spending more than £3-4 a week on these supplies?

If you honestly pay for taxis everywhere then how come you have a rail card etc?

I do think you are very economical with the truth. Not that I care in the slightest what you buy but don't exaggerate so much.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    Baby wipes are about 50p for 80.

Oh really? Tell me where then - the ones that are about 99p, you get about 64 in.
    If you honestly pay for taxis everywhere then how come you have a rail card etc?

I sometimes travel too London (200 miles) - it would cost more than 4x the amount I pay for train fare than it would rail fare.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All this anger just because I think that DLA medicals are a good idea and that people with genuine disabilities might be better off having their needs met directly rather than being given cash?

Perhaps some people might be getting a tad worried that their income stream might be going to dry up?

Thankfully there are also organisations who have far greater knowledge and experience than you which enables them to see the pitfalls inherent in your suggestions.

You appear to have a problem acknowledging that other people's experience is different to your own. You also appear to believe that because their experience doesn't match yours they must be lying. Why?

Are you a bigot or a troll?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Thankfully there are also organisations who have far greater knowledge and experience than you which enables them to see the pitfalls inherent in your suggestions.

You appear to have a problem acknowledging that other people's experience is different to your own. You also appear to believe that because their experience doesn't match yours they must be lying. Why?

bigot and a idiot i think !!!!!!!
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options

I honestly can't understand why you are all getting so het up about something that isn't even going to happen for 3 years.

You must all be very worried about the validity of your claims if you think they won't stand the scrutiny of a medical.

Absolutely stupid that huge sums of taxpayers money is being handed out without proper investigation of claims. Thank goodness it is going to be addressed.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2010 at 6:46PM
    Options
    I honestly can't understand why you are all getting so het up about something that isn't even going to happen for 3 years.

You must all be very worried about the validity of your claims if you think they won't stand the scrutiny of a medical.

Absolutely stupid that huge sums of taxpayers money is being handed out without proper investigation of claims. Thank goodness it is going to be addressed.

I'm not worried about the validity of my claim.

I am worried about
    *the incompetents at ATOS being given any more power
    *Social Services being given ultimate responsibility for providing/organising ALL care and mobility needs
    *disabled people being prevented from living independent lives due to ill-informed benefit bashers

And I think I'll just point out, again, that I can prove that ATOS lie and that I get a budget from SS which is constrained in such a way as to prevent independence
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely people learn to cope with with Aspergers etc. Obviously BCS has managed to live her adult life reasonably well and interacted with others as she has only been diagnosed fairly recently.

My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic. He won't ever 'grow out of it' but it is manageable.

Of course people learn to cope with it as they do with many disabilities but grow out of it? Children 'grow out' of wetting the bed or being afraid of the dark not of a condition they were born with.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not worried about the validity of my claim.

I am worried about
    *the incompetents at ATOS being given any more power
    *Social Services being given ultimate responsibility for providing/organising ALL care and mobility needs
    *disabled people being prevented from living independent lives due to ill-informed benefit bashers

Well said - same here! My claim is very valid, I know that well as do the doctors who treat me. What I don't trust in all this is ATOS, Social Services and the DWP's system!

I don't see how come any of you bashers don't realise that it would cost far more for direct payments to every company or individual concerned in every disabled person's life to be arranged and sent than for us to be paid DLA and do it individually from there. Isn't all this about trying to save money, anyway?
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Like I've said before - by doing this, you're telling people where to buy things.
    ?

If you want a Motability car you have to buy it from certain garages. Oxygen is supplied by only one supplier covering certain areas. Choice is not the be all and end all where disability is concerned.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    24skins wrote: »
    With good reason - they rely on that money for their independence because of the obstacles that society put in their way - you only have to take a cursory glance at this thread to see the level of ignorance that people with genuine disabilities have to face on a day to day basis.

Most of the people who are disagreeing with this point of view are themselves directly involved with disabilities, either themselves or as carers for others. Knowledge and understanding do not necessarily mean that everybody comes to the same conclusions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure