IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excel Parking Services - "Parking Charge Notice" - Peel Centre - Stockport

Options
I visited Peel Centre on yesterday afternoon (sunday). I parked outside but I didn't notice any signs regarding any requirement to pay for parking and it didn't occur to me that there would be any since I considered it an out of town shopping centre and there isn't usually a requirement to pay for parking at such places.

When I emerged from Argos after roughly 30 minutes and having spend £80 I was very surprised to find a parking charge notice from Excel Parking Services. Its £100 reduced to £60 if I pay within a week.

Having read the threads on here most people have suggested not to pay and completely ignore the notice. However, many of the notices are now pretty dated. Is the advice still to completely ignore Excel?
What is the likely worst case scenario should I continue to ignore them? If I was very unlucky and they decided to make an example of me specifically what is thr worst that could happen. How expensive could it get?

Planning to ignore but need some reassurance. Has anyone else received a ticket from these people at the Peel Centre or elsewhere recently. Just how many people have taken the route of ignoring them?

I have just had a look at their company accounts at 30.04.09 (2010 not available yet) and they had a turnover of £926m and profit of £455k. So plenty of people must have been paying them. Their debtors increased from £2.576 to £3.372 during the year 2008/09 though difficult to tell from the accounts whether this was due to people not paying their notices.

Has anyone been through the process recently? How long should I expect to receive letters for?

As you can probably tel I'm looking for reassurance from soembody who's dealt with them recently.

Cheers

Also, why do these stores allow these cowboys to operate this way. I spent £80 though it could cost me another £60 - £100! Its definitely put me off going there ahain.

Comments

• Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mither wrote: »

Having read the threads on here most people have suggested not to pay and completely ignore the notice. However, many of the notices are now pretty dated. Is the advice still to completely ignore Excel?
    yes

I have just had a look at their company accounts at 30.04.09 (2010 not available yet) and they had a turnover of £926m and profit of £455k. So plenty of people must have been paying them. Their debtors increased from £2.576 to £3.372 during the year 2008/09 though difficult to tell from the accounts whether this was due to people not paying their notices.
    Are you sure you looked at Excel Parking Services and not Excel who are a logistics company. No PPC has a turnover of £926m

Has anyone been through the process recently? How long should I expect to receive letters for?
    Here's their letter chain:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803
    You can safely continue to ignore
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 June 2010 at 6:45PM
    Options
    mither wrote: »

Q - Having read the threads on here most people have suggested not to pay and completely ignore the notice. However, many of the notices are now pretty dated. Is the advice still to completely ignore Excel?

A - you've been reading the wrong part of the site, no doubt you've only read Martin's advice articles? They still stand but are dated I suppose. But the forum is updated with new cases like yours every single day, read a few threads like yours here until you feel more confident:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Q - What is the likely worst case scenario should I continue to ignore them? If I was very unlucky and they decided to make an example of me specifically what is the worst that could happen. How expensive could it get?

A - They won't take you to Court, they just threaten it and many people are scared and think the charge is legitimate. It's not even a fine, not even an offence - it is just a scam. But to answer your Q, the worst case scenario if a PPC did take someone to Court and they won then the motorist would have to pay the ticket cost plus Court fee of £30. We have not heard of this happening except for the odd set-up case (i.e. a staged Court case with a plant as the 'victim').

Q - Planning to ignore but need some reassurance. Has anyone else received a ticket from these people at the Peel Centre or elsewhere recently. Just how many people have taken the route of ignoring them?

A - Read some threads as linked above, that shows you how common this scam is. Glad to read you are planning to ignore this rubbish. Most of us on here have had PPC tickets and ignored them. I have had one (wouldn't mind getting more!); nothing happens at all if you just ignore the letters. Some people even deliberately collect PPC mickey-mouse tickets just for fun and to cost the scammers some money in wasted postage and DVLA costs of £2.50 a pop.

Q - Has anyone been through the process recently? How long should I expect to receive letters for? As you can probably tell I'm looking for reassurance from somebody who's dealt with them recently.

A - Lots of people on here and on pepipoo.com forums have ignored PPC letters this year, last year, ad infinitum. The forum board I linked above includes a sticky 'PPC letters/threats, what to expect' (Orford has linked it directly for you above - it's very useful for newbies to see what will be sent before each scam letter arrives). Most PPCs use between 3 and 8 letters before they just give up. Keep the letters, but ignore them.

Q - Also, why do these stores allow these cowboys to operate this way. I spent £80 though it could cost me another £60 - £100! Its definitely put me off going there again.

A - That's the eternal question - why not complain?! I have written to Sainsburys' Head Office about this and spoken to their store Manager, I also spoke to a local Co-op Manager last year. Told them they are allowing a scam company to send threatening letters to their customers and as a customer I am complaining about it. Told them that these are not even real fines - they thought they were! :rotfl:The Sainsburys Head Office never even bothered to reply.

Hope the above answers help. Did you see the Watchdog programme in May where they covered this scam? If not, watch here and laugh at the great advice by their legal chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

And if you want to read more info and ask on a another forum (you'll get the same advice!) here's pepipoo.com:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

HTH

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • AlexisV
    AlexisV Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    Q - What is the likely worst case scenario should I continue to ignore them? If I was very unlucky and they decided to make an example of me specifically what is the worst that could happen. How expensive could it get?

Worst case scenario: they take you to court, I give you a comprehensive defence, you turn up and Excel either lose or are a no-show.
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    Ignore.

Coupon Mad

Whats with the reddiness of the post!!!!!!
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • jkdd77
    jkdd77 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlexisV wrote: »
    Worst case scenario: they take you to court, I give you a comprehensive defence, you turn up and Excel either lose or are a no-show.

I fear the worst case scenario is that they unlawfully clamp over the alleged past debts represented by the invoices- this would be totally unlawful, but the police are, regrettably, likely to insist "it's a civil matter" regardless.

If this happens, your choices are to pay and sue, bearing in mind that:
    -bringing a case involves a lot of time, stress and hassle
    -the clampers will ignore the CCJ and phoenix
    -based on past experience from other MSEers, the judge may well rule that the landowners weren't responsible [or, it will turn out that the clampers were operating without the authority of any landowner, meaning that you're totally stuffed]
    or to cut the clamp off [risk of assault/ blocking in/ arrest for "criminal damage".
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    For a clearly unlawful clamping then self help is justified. I would not hesitate to cut the clamp off.
  • gemmyw
    gemmyw Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I received a Parking Charge Notice from Excel parking for parking 19 mintues over 3 hours on the 6th May (Not received until at least the 8th June as I was on holiday from this date. They demand £60. I sent the following email: 15th June 2010.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing to appeal a fine which I received, for parking nineteen minutes over three hours, in a car park in Swansea (Parc Tawe).

Please accept my apologies for the delay but I have just returned from holiday today.

On the day in question I suffered an attack of Vertigo. This meant that I was unable to drive. My Mother had to come and get me and take me home.
    My Mother then returned to pick up my car. She knocked on the Car Parking attendants cabin to explain what had happened but there was noone there.

I have been suffering from Vertigo for nearly two years, after being assaulted by a patient at work. I have recently returned from long term sick and am on a rehabillitation programme at work. As a result of my sickness I have had a large reduction in my pay and having to pay this fine will cause me a great deal of distress and will be hard for me to pay. I can provide medical evidence to support this letter, if required.

At present I am under a great deal of stress and this exacerbates my condition.
    I would be most grateful if you could cancel the fine on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information on **********

I would be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this email

Many Thanks,

I received a response today which basically says "We have appreciated what you have said in your appeal but this is unfortunate as the maximum stay was exceeded".

What a lot of idiots!I would never wish feeling how ill I do, onto anyone but I hope the CEO does after this disgusting reply!!!

The charge has now increased to £100. I am sure if they take me to court any judge would throw it out as I have proved to have a genuine reason.

I am not paying it no way! They can take me to court if they so wish.
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    gemmyw wrote: »
    I received a Parking Charge Notice from Excel parking for parking 19 mintues over 3 hours on the 6th May (Not received until at least the 8th June as I was on holiday from this date. They demand £60. I sent the following email: 15th June 2010.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing to appeal a fine which I received, for parking nineteen minutes over three hours, in a car park in Swansea (Parc Tawe).

Please accept my apologies for the delay but I have just returned from holiday today.

On the day in question I suffered an attack of Vertigo. This meant that I was unable to drive. My Mother had to come and get me and take me home.
    My Mother then returned to pick up my car. She knocked on the Car Parking attendants cabin to explain what had happened but there was noone there.

I have been suffering from Vertigo for nearly two years, after being assaulted by a patient at work. I have recently returned from long term sick and am on a rehabillitation programme at work. As a result of my sickness I have had a large reduction in my pay and having to pay this fine will cause me a great deal of distress and will be hard for me to pay. I can provide medical evidence to support this letter, if required.

At present I am under a great deal of stress and this exacerbates my condition.
    I would be most grateful if you could cancel the fine on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information on **********

I would be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this email

Many Thanks,

I received a response today which basically says "We have appreciated what you have said in your appeal but this is unfortunate as the maximum stay was exceeded".

What a lot of idiots!I would never wish feeling how ill I do, onto anyone but I hope the CEO does after this disgusting reply!!!

The charge has now increased to £100. I am sure if they take me to court any judge would throw it out as I have proved to have a genuine reason.

I am not paying it no way! They can take me to court if they so wish.

You could have appealed to me and i will give you an answer.

NO

There is no appeal process.

Do not bother to correspond to any more letters.

Just ignore.

They wont take you to court.

Dont get upset and want to vent with anymore letters.

PLEASE IGNORE.
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    gemmyw wrote: »

See this thread from post number 33

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2105923&page=2

Parc Tawe is private land meaning this is a private parking ticket, meaning completely ignore their pleas for money off you!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Lola2_2
    Options
    @Mither....

I had the exact same situation. I parked in the Peel Centre carpark in May, I was working in Stockport that day and had been having intermittent car trouble the past few weeks...my car was playing up so I pulled it into the carpark. I too did not think for a second it would be pay and display with it being an out of town retail park. I left my car for about 10 minutes whilst I tried to call my boyfriend for help, when I arrived back at my car there were some circus flyers on the windscreen and a parking ticket on my window, I thought it must be a joke! Surely the parking attendant must have seen me get out the car and then zoomed straight over?! I always thought you were given a discretionary 10 minutes to go get change anyway?! I was very very annoyed and already stressed out with the car situation!

I decided to ignore it and not pay as about two weeks earlier I had a fine from an Excel car park in Sheffield, that time I had bought a ticket, my friend and I had scraped together all the change we could find to pay it, but we were charged for leaving the car park after our ticket expired! (We were back at the car in time but the car was playing up again hence why we left the car park about 15minutes later) Stupidly I paid that fine, but after researching Excel on here I decided against paying the Peel Centre one.

I have today received my "letter of intent to issue court proceedings" and I intend to ignore it. DVLA shouldn't be allowed to give out personal addresses to anyone, let alone scammy types like Excel. Fingers crossed it won't go to court!

Can I also rant about the fact that you are charged £60 straight away when a parking ticket only costs about £1?!! Very unreasonable and I don't know how they are allowed to get away with it.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what happens next!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure