Boots Mobile

Options

Comments

• stevenhhh
    Options
    Are advantage points immediately credited on mobile purchases, or is it in x months time?

edit - 6 months' time. I think I'll give it a miss.
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    Me & my other half took up this offer last year.
    We both took Orange £25 contracts (O2 price match 100 min, 100 txt), with Nokia 3210 phones. We got 36000 points and the contract cost is £300. A net profit of £60 plus free phone which we sold on ebay for £40, so a bit under £100 profit per contract (after ebay fees).

For getting the points we emailed dextra to confirm the date to send, then used the orange website to download a PDF of our 7th bill and emailed it as a reply directly to dextra. Points were added within 7 days.

Some might find it hard to spend £720 at Boots but we had a baby in April so spent the lot, although it also provided numerous kitchen items (blender etc) from a larger boots store.

I must confess I was sceptical about the scheme but it's worked out fine.
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    stevenhhh wrote:
    Are advantage points immediately credited on mobile purchases, or is it in x months time?

You get 1000 points at the start and balance after 6 months. Which means in theory you can spend 6 months contract equivalent of cash in boots before you've shelled it out on the contract fee. Kinda like £150 interest free loan.
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is almost worth doing this as a form of xmas savings if you think you could buy all your xmas gifts using points (2007 obviously now). It would be the same as saving £30 per month but having a free phone too. Amazing!
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • DCLane
    DCLane Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    My only advice here is to look carefully at the phone and network.

Vodafone Anytime 200 will make a profit of £45 on a 12 month contract

On Orange you break-even on a 12 Month Raccoon 30 contract.

Either way you get the free phone with only the hassle of sending off one bill rather than the 3-4 with other contracts.

David
  • kittykate_2
    kittykate_2 Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    Options
    do boots shops sell ipod videos? I think I'll get this contract if they do then can buy one with the points. My contracts coming to an end and this looks like a good offer :)
    :A I love MSE!!! :A
  • skdotcom
    skdotcom Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    This is a great deal. I would say however that you cant spend the points online or for mail order items. Most Boots stores dont sell many expensive items and those that do sell them at over inflated prices.
    The best way to spend the points is after xmas in the sales at some of the larger stores. I bought most of the christmas/birthday presents for this year in January!
  • crawlspace
    Options
    Does anyone know if its worth getting the O2 tariff with this deal?

Ta
  • DCLane
    DCLane Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    kittykate wrote:
    do boots shops sell ipod videos? I think I'll get this contract if they do then can buy one with the points. My contracts coming to an end and this looks like a good offer :)

As far as I know they do in the larger stores - check first would be my advice.

I know someone who did the same and got an iPod.

David
  • x3ja
    x3ja Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    My wife did this about 9 months ago, and we duly got 36,000 points for her Boots Advantage card after we faxed the 7th bill off. Now we have to spend them! We're down to about £280 worth now, but it's slow spending! (I think we made £72 overall on her phone in a similar deal to this one)

We're thinking of getting experience days (£90 for 2 people for a spa day with 2 treatments - getting in touch with my feminine side! £185 for a hot air balloon ride or a track day I think.) Or you could go for foot spas, nice electric razors, electric toothbrush heads (cos boy are they expensive!). Anyone discovered any other good things to buy with it? I kinda hoped they'd sell some gadgets (freeview boxes, DVD recorders etc) but am yet to see any.

And now I'm looking at getting a phone from there too, so we have about 7 months to spend all the points from her phone and then to start spending mine!

Remember though - Boots points aren't real money - they don't gain interest - you can't pay off your mortgage with them! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure