Boots Mobile

Options
DCLane
DCLane Posts: 62 Forumite
Speech-Mark-Left.gif
Official Insert

In a nutshell

Get a mobile phone contract that costs £315, but get £360 of Boots points for doing it!

What's the deal?

Buy a Motorola V3 on a Vodafone Anytime 200 tariff and the online version of Boots (the chemist) will give you 36,000 Advantage points back, worth £360. If you regularly shop at Boots or have a one off big purchase to make this is a fantastic deal.

The contract costs £30 per month (it's a 12 month contract) but you get the first 3 months half price, totalling £315 over the year, it includes plus you get 200 anytime cross network minutes (so you can use the minutes to call mobiles or landlines anytime of the day).

Normally this isn't a particularly competitive tariff, yet the £360 worth of Advantage points means you're actually being paid £45 (in Advantage points) to take it! Though if you will go substantially over quota of calls then, you need to incorporate the cost of those calls compared to the market's most competitive (see mobile cost cutting article)

How to claim your points

1,000 points will be credited to your account within 7 days of purchasing the phone. After your seventh invoice you need to register to claim the rest by emailing [EMAIL="cashback@dextra.co.uk"]cashback@dextra.co.uk[/EMAIL].

They will then send you details on how to complete your claim. You must remain on the initial tariff and be up to date with all payments in order to qualify for the remaining points.

The claim must be received within 8 calender months of being connected otherwise you won't get the points. So if you don't think you'll remember this isn't a deal for you! This is actually a must less arduous process than most cashback reclaims - as you only need to do it once.

To help use the free Tart Alert (usually for reminders of when your 0% balance transfer is about to end) to remind you to put in the claim. Just enter a date a few days before you need to do the claim and either an email or text will be sent to you.

What if you don't have an Advantage Card?

If you don't have an Advanatge Card you can pick one up free instore or click here. It's free to use and you can collect 4 points for every pound spent in store. Boots often have triple points and other offers on so it's well worth having if you shop there regularly.

Once you have got your card email [EMAIL="advantagecard@dextra.co.uk"]advantagecard@dextra.co.uk[/EMAIL] to claim your points. Make sure you include your full name, postal code, Advantage card number and boots ohone order number in the email. This needs to be done no later than 45 days after you made the purcahse.

Read Boots Treasure Trove for info on top Boots deals.

Back to the original post....
Speech-Mark-Right.gif

Does anyone else here use Boots Mobile phones www.boots.com (aka Dextra) via the Boots site.

I got mine last year but the threads on it seem to have disappeared.

Anyway, I looked last week and the better offers are back - i.e. Motorola V3 on Vodafone Anytime 200. Total cost: £315 and £360 of Boots Advantage points.

Alternatively, Orange are doing 12 month '30' offers which work out at a nil total cost; i.e. £360 line rental and £360 worth of points.

David
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• nohdosh
    nohdosh Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Motorola V3 anytime 200 costs £25 a month for 18 months and gives you £130 worth points. Has it changed since last week?
  • DCLane
    Options
    Try the 12 month contract.

Motorola V3 (not V3i): https://www.bootsphones.com

Vodafone Anytime 200 12 months: £30 per month with first 3 1/2 price = £315
    36000 Boots Advantage points = £360

= £45 profit plus free phone and only one bill to send off.

David
  • montrose5
    montrose5 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    It's a good offer but beware it doesn't include texts in the monthly bundle at that price
  • DCLane
    Options
    True, but one's for my wife who doesn't know what texting is.

I send some - about 2 a week, but tend to use my PAYG phone which is charged as business expenses (mine).

David
  • fertler1
    fertler1 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I had this last year .... it was worth £400 then ..... and true to there word they put the points on within six months ....
    its coming to its end soon and will be doing the same again !!!!!!
    You can imagine the fun i had spending all those points in boots - for once on WHAT EVA I WANTED !!!!!!!:beer:
    Its not cool to be a 'bugga lug' ..... and only 'bugga lugs' dont say THANK YOU !!!!
  • MindyMoo
    MindyMoo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I'm at the end of my O2 12 mth contract through Boots/ Dextra for the Samsung D500 ...no problem at all getting points back (I about broke even.) My husband took a 12 mth contract out soon after me, he has a simple Nokia phone (no camera) and has a great deal ...he will be £48 up.

O2 don't offer 3 months at half price but instead give you double texts and mins for the first 3 months, the way to cut costs is to downgrade after 6 months to a cheaper/smaller package ...although this might not suit most.

eg. Nokia 2600/6030 £35 pm O2-400 12 mth contract (400min/ 100 txts)
    First 6 months ... 6 x £35 = £210
    After 6 months call O2 to downgrade ... 6 x £17 = £102 (25min/ 25 texts)
    12 months Total = £312 ...take this cost from the £360 of points awarded and you are £48 in pocket.

I am happy with my handset and would make another £30 or so selling the new one.

Another bonus I discovered was that when I called O2 to cancel my contract the retention team tried to match the Boots deal by offering me 500 texts and 100 anytime, any network mins free for 10 months, this did not include a handset upgrade. Catch is it's a 12 month contract. (they hope to cash in on that final 2 months.)

It's a bit of work at the 6/ 12 months points, but we are running 2 contracts from Boots, 6 months apart, and will have a third with the O2 retention deal. (We have a Free EasyMobile sim in another old phone which makes 4 free phones!!) ...our BT phone is redundant which saves even more.

Thank God for Yahoo calendar reminders !!!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    MindyMoo wrote:

Thank God for Yahoo calendar reminders !!!

You can of course always use Martin's Tart Alert for reminders :)

Welcome to any new users to the Telephone Boards coming from this tip in the email. Please feel free to browse Home and Internet Boards too and ask any questions you might have.

Should you require any help unlocking your new Nokia's please place your IME number, network and Nokia model on this thread and one of the very helpful unlockers will be pleased to give you the correct code :)
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also did this last year for me and OH and I'm still trying to spend the points!!!
    I haven't got one!
  • mrsw
    mrsw Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    MindyMoo wrote:

O2 don't offer 3 months at half price but instead give you double texts and mins for the first 3 months, the way to cut costs is to downgrade after 6 months to a cheaper/smaller package ...although this might not suit most.

eg. Nokia 2600/6030 £35 pm O2-400 12 mth contract (400min/ 100 txts)
    First 6 months ... 6 x £35 = £210
    After 6 months call O2 to downgrade ... 6 x £17 = £102 (25min/ 25 texts)
    12 months Total = £312 ...take this cost from the £360 of points awarded and you are £48 in pocket.

But the T&C state "Changes to your tariff will also result in any cash back offer being withdrawn. "
  • Caren
    Options
    I have had a couple now on this offer, and received the points no problem. Just have to remember to fax off the bill at the right time.

I have just bought on for my hubbie, he just wants a basic phone with big buttons so we have opted for the Nokia 6030

£30 per month on Vodaphone anytime 200. 12 month contract of which 3 are half price, by my calculations that means we will be £45 up.

Great
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport