Options

Comments

• ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I fear the local people felt the same way. :rotfl:

Unfortunately when I buy in bulk I sometimes get several boxes of books that I just don't want.

Take them to any charity shop. When I worked for BHF we sold a good hundred Mills and Boon on a saturday. The old ladies bring the books back a few weeks later to be resold. Great money making for the charity shop.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,242 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take them to any charity shop. When I worked for BHF we sold a good hundred Mills and Boon on a saturday. The old ladies bring the books back a few weeks later to be resold. Great money making for the charity shop.

My local charity shops are drowning under books. They will take the mills and boon (they took a couple of boxes last week) but these ones today I am trying to shift are all 1900s and they just don't want them.

There is money in these books, I've sold a few but strangely enough I really don't like old books, I can't bear to store them. So they either sell quickly or I want them out.

I'm not brilliant at this book selling lark and my sister is coming next week and i have to shift some of these boxes in the hall.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • flipper_2010
    flipper_2010 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh how I wish you were in the south soolin! :j
  • soolin
    Options
    Oh how I wish you were in the south soolin! :j
    Well I am sort of, definitely South of Watford anyway, not South Coast.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thepedestrian
    thepedestrian Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    couldn`t you re package and sell the old Bills and Moon books as great BBQ and woodburner fire starters ? - I bet they would go up a treat ! - and you could put in your listings that it would add " a bit of spice " to the proceedings !
    As Martin says - please be nice - there is no such thing as a stupid question ! ;)
  • Tribulation
    Tribulation Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    Options
    My local one had a wanted add a few years ago along the lines of,

"I know it's a long shot, but would anyone happen to have a 1/4" rubber, girls wetsuit size 8 that they no longer need........."

Funny enough I did actually have exactly what they needed and was about to throw it out.

They were very very thankful.
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of
    MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • niknaknoo1982
    Options
    Shortly after i quit as a mod on my local group we had a post from a new member (so must have been approved by a mod) WANTED - euros!
    They wanted free holiday spending money!!! Can't remember the exact post but i know one of the group owners said they got so many complaints and people asking for £1 coins after that LOL
    If google doesn't know it, how should i?
  • AnnaLicious_2
    AnnaLicious_2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in both the Bath and bristol groups and they're incredibly different. The Bristol one is mostly 'want' and the bath one is mostly 'offered'.
    The bath one I find very quirky and lovely. They just moved over to freegle, btw. Most of the posts that are 'wants' are from theatre groups looking to borrow odd household items for props.
  • ootie
    ootie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    couldn`t you re package and sell the old Bills and Moon books as great BBQ and woodburner fire starters ? - I bet they would go up a treat ! - and you could put in your listings that it would add " a bit of spice " to the proceedings !

:rotfl:Well, it is bbq weather!
  • soolin
    Options
    Shh, don't jinx me but i have someone coming to collect something from me later this afternoon. No books though, I had to put them in the recycling bin at the local dump.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure