New Look MSE Forum Sneaky Peek Feeback

Options

Comments

• icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I am really glad to see user cp back.

After getting used to it for a bit, have decided I like the new colours and the generally neater feel.

Not sure why I have to keep scrolling across though whereas I didn't before.
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just want to Add I love the new look, especially since some creases have been ironed out :D Impressive!!!!
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • bat-out-of-hell
    bat-out-of-hell Posts: 480 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2010 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Yes, I've been thinking along those lines, bat-out-of-hell.
    One of my big bug-bears is the amount of scrolling I have to do. This is particularly anonnying when the post content consists of just a couple of lines, but the stuff at the left causes the overall post length to be many times that.
    This also has the problem of introducing a lot of 'white space' under the post content that can almost give you snow-blindness ... (all right, I exaggerate :D).

Anyway, here's something I knocked up to show the effect on one of the earlier posts in this thread. It's in old-style, but it gives the idea. The amount of 'white space' saved (marked in grey) is about a third of the total in this case.
    I liked your version, but knew there was a problem with it, could i hell as remember what,:o brain was not working yesterday.

I think it might make the forum too wide, as the username length is an unknown, not sure how many charecters you may have before it over runs :thinks:

if so It may cause wrapping, or table calapse/breakout if the user re-sizes the browser, at worse, easily stoppable by adding a min width, but that will cause the need for a bottem scroll bar.

Depends on what size screen the team are optimizing the design for i suppose
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    If you cannot see avatars when logged in, please go to your user control panel and check you have them switched on. Click either "User CP" or "User Tools" above. Click "Edit Options". Tick the box labelled "Show Avatars" and click "Save Changes".
  • bat-out-of-hell
    Options
    Not sure it works with the date there :think:
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having an annoying 'thing when replying to a thread, the reply box is either way over on the right or bits of it 'hide' behind the offers thing on the right.
    I'm on a netbook so small screen (i think its 10") but had no issues in the old layout
    th_reply.jpg th_reply2.jpg
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • Sami_Bee
    Options
    Not sure it works with the date there :think:
    I don't like the date there either, it'll be all over the show when you're scrolling.
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    Sami_Bee wrote: »
    I'm having an annoying 'thing when replying to a thread, the reply box is either way over on the right or bits of it 'hide' behind the offers thing on the right.

If this is happening in a thread where someone has included a wide image (such as this one) the wide image is forcing the page wider to accomodate it. How wide images are handled is on our list of things to look at :).
  • Sami_Bee
    Options
    MSE_Ian wrote: »
    If this is happening in a thread where someone has included a wide image (such as this one) the wide image is forcing the page wider to accomodate it. How wide images are handled is on our list of things to look at :).
    Thanks.
    It seems the one where the box is way over is caused by large pictures but not the one where the box 'hides' behind other bits :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 11 May 2010 at 1:40PM
    Options
    One thing I really dislike about the new style is that I am seeing a significant deterioration in font rendering and clarity when viewing the forum board index pages.

EDIT: And other text as well.

This is particularly stark when looking at how read and unread threads are displayed.

For example, on the old style the difference (bold) between a read and unread thread is very clear.

Also the font rendering in general is very good.

Example:

screenshot_13_18_00110510_2XuiXH.png

However, under the new style the difference between a read and an unread thread is much less obvious (to me anyway).

Plus the font rendering seems poorer.

Example:

screenshot_13_18_33110510_IpCSWK.png

For reference, this is with Firefox 3.6.3 under Linux. Although Microsoft TTF fonts are installed and used.

However, as the difference occurs purely by changing the style on MSE from the old to the new with no other changes, then the above difference can only be a consequence of the new style.

If you can do anything to improve this without messing things up for other people/browsers, that would be great. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure