New Look MSE Forum Sneaky Peek Feeback

Options

Comments

• bat-out-of-hell
    bat-out-of-hell Posts: 480 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2010 at 3:15PM
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    • Split username on posts: Yes I can see that for longer usernames that does happen, but then again making the left smaller has improved the overall dimensions. We will put our heads together about anthing we can do.
    Martin

Possible solution to the name wrapping problem, move it up into the same Table Row as the time and post number, and let it go accross the top of the post, just a thought, that way you can have the slimmer look without the odd name wraps

Edit -

Like This - mypicturesite.co.uk

Of course your guys would have to tweak the CSS to tidy it up if its an option ;)
  • Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2010 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Yes, I've been thinking along those lines, bat-out-of-hell.
    One of my big bug-bears is the amount of scrolling I have to do. This is particularly anonnying when the post content consists of just a couple of lines, but the stuff at the left causes the overall post length to be many times that.
    This also has the problem of introducing a lot of 'white space' under the post content that can almost give you snow-blindness ... (all right, I exaggerate :D).

Anyway, here's something I knocked up to show the effect on one of the earlier posts in this thread. It's in old-style, but it gives the idea. The amount of 'white space' saved (marked in grey) is about a third of the total in this case.

4sazva.jpg
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I just have to say that I really don't like the new "default" avatar.

default_avatar.jpg

I much preferred this previous one.....

2wpv1qr.gif
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • bat-out-of-hell
    Options
    Funny, I thought that was actually a picture of you Fermi :p

The second one that is........

Though who knows th first one may be closer....................:rotfl:
  • fermi
    Options
    Funny, I thought that was actually a picture of you Fermi :p

The second one that is........

Though who knows th first one may be closer....................:rotfl:

Funny you should say that.

I was considering changing my avatar to that for a bit. Confuse the hell out of the MSE techie team. :cool: :p
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• koala987
    koala987 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not keen on either of those default avatars either. If someone doesn't have an avatar, why not just leave it blank, as before? :)
    Don't wait for the storm to pass
    Learn to dance in the rain
  • fermi
    Options
    Better than this one I just found on a quick google.

defaultavatar_wGRHj4.jpg

Then again..............................?

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep I agree, Why does there have to an avatar if someone doesn't have one? The pictures are very disconcerting, the default ones that is.

Or is part of the package? That you have to have an image, and if one isn't used, there has to be a default avatar (out of a few maybe?) and you cannot switch the must have default avatar bit off?
  • itsallinthemind
    itsallinthemind Posts: 3,114 Forumite
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    I just have to say that I really don't like the new "default" avatar.

default_avatar.jpg

I much preferred this previous one.....

2wpv1qr.gif

Was just coming here to say that :) Firstly who has a head that big? lol
    At least the original was a bit more subtle, but this one is brighter than a lot of peoples avatars!
    aureol212 wrote: »
    Yep I agree, Why does there have to an avatar if someone doesn't have one? The pictures are very disconcerting, the default ones that is.

Or is part of the package? That you have to have an image, and if one isn't used, there has to be a default avatar (out of a few maybe?) and you cannot switch the must have default avatar bit off?

If there needs to be a default,then can it not be the default colour? Or at least a subtle avatar? The eyes are drawn to these too much I think:)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the should use the martin darth maul pic for the default avatar :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts