New Look MSE Forum Sneaky Peek Feeback

Options

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank You Martin for your feedback, and addressing virtually each members requests.

The only thing I want to add, in regards to the modernization of the Site, particularly with your mention of different screens may have different shades.

Please take particular note in modernizing, that this age more and more people are likely to be using netbooks, blackberry's and Mobile phone Apps to access the site, so be aware of people with smaller screens to view with.

Reduced font sizes or squeezing too much onto a page, will greatly affect those with smaller screens, who may find it difficult to read. You could add a "mobile apps" link, to rectify it, or just be aware that screens of 10" or less are likely to be used when viewing.

I appreciate the response re; "abuse", and indeed it makes sense that out of hours would require email alerts. Assuming "spam alerts" are dealt with similar to abuse, is it not possible for the "spam" button to merge with "abuse", forming a "spam\abuse" button or maybe use the "abuse" as a form of "PM" which could e-mail the abuse team an alert (much as a PM alert we members get in our e-mails if we get a PM)?

My first Paragraph is more more relevant than the second ;)

Pretty much everything else you have covered ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like to see a full line between the post and the posters signature, with the new look you get a small line and it makes the sig seem part of the post which isnt easy on the eyes.

I think the forum is ok as it is, I know many people that wont use MSE because it is really cluttered with loads of stuff and too hard on the eye, I have got used to it and zone out now. Maybe the clutter could be moved to make it easier on the eye and brain?
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    quotes in coloured fonts
    (esp pink!)
    are really hard to read as the green background drowns it.. maybe a touch paler would help?.. see ..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The breadcrumb trail at the top is tiny, I wonder if this would be a problem for those with dexterity issues?
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    The breadcrumb trail at the top is tiny, I wonder if this would be a problem for those with dexterity issues?

Glasses anyone?

Or zoom facility on pc..... http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsvista/webaccessibility.aspx
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • skoff
    skoff Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Martin (and your team of industrious techies).:beer:
    There are a couple of points I have noticed, relating to the old style forums which maybe could be fixed in the upgrade ?
    Firstly is it possible to stop the message display from going as wide as the subject line or whatever meaning that horizontal scrollbars appear (when you don't like using the browser fullscreen).
    And related to that, is it possible either technically or as a request , to limit the size (dimension and Kb) of images that are inserted in posts - sometimes they are ridiculously large.
    Cheers
  • bat-out-of-hell
    Options
    In the thread view, #000000 text on #FFFFFF background is too high a contrast and hard on the eyes, on the forum overview, the light blue is worse as its washed out by the brilliant white, and a few of the smaller target icons/breadcrumbs, as already mentioned, are a bit small on a high res screens, but catering for so many screen sizes and resolutions is always a problem.

But besides that, I like it, still hate the green, but like the layout
  • angelflower_2
    angelflower_2 Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks....I have to say I do like it over all but I miss my smilies....I know they are not a priority but on the what small things thread I am on most days, they play a large part and I miss them (i know, its the small pleasures LOL)

What about adding in photos.....I find the current function of having to save them to an online program like photobucket really annoying...Can't we just upload images and it automatically resizes them into a specified frame rather than some of them being absolutely massive?

Could there also be a full line between the post and the sig as its a bit annoying to see it jump 'into' the message if you know what I mean
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017 :eek:
  • snooksy
    snooksy Posts: 213 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2010 at 12:33PM
    Options
    MorphJunk wrote: »
    I am having a regular problem with the "Thanks" button - it often resets itself.
    Like many people I use "Thanks" to track my competition entries in the Competitions Forum, so it's important that it stays clicked !

Me too! :( Hope this can be fixed, as I like the new look a lot more than the old one. Also think the line between the post and sig could be made bigger, keep reading peoples sig's over and over, thinking it's part of their post. :) Other than that, what a great job! :T:T
    **Thanx to all competition posters!** :cool:
    C.D.E.F.H.I.J.N.O.Q.W.X.Y

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    A small problem compared to some, but another broken/missing image in the new template.

[noparse]http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_style_2/misc/userfield_edit.gif[/noparse]

screenshot_13_26_43100510_6uV6Gs.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure