🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

New Look MSE Forum Sneaky Peek Feeback

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I'm finding a lot of the new format hard-going as it's too far over on the right hand side of the screen: instead of using a proportional design, which will automatically adjust to individual PC's set-up, the design seems to assume a wide-screen & very small font.

So you lose everything after about the fourth or fifth column on the main form index & don't notice all the useful new columns (you won't think to scroll to the right as you won't know there's anything there you might like).

Similarly, when you're actually in a forum, in addition to losing everything past the likeability stats graphic, so much more can't be read in threads & it means continual scrolling from left the right to read anything that's more than half a line long. That's really frustrating & will definitely put people off from using pages.

Not everyone can change their settings or will want to (due to old equipment which doesn't work on higher resolutions; accessibility needs; general comfort for seeing the screen; using a work PC that has a standard set-up etc) so you may need to either fix some of these glitches, or consider keeping a 'proportional' options skin which will make like easier for those of us affected.

I hope that makes sense! Thanks a lot.

The new forum is set up just like the old - with it being stretchy to screen size. Could you let us know what

A. Operating System
    B. Browser
    C. Screen size

You have and I will ask our techies to look at it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    In the old style I can double click beside a thread title to edit the title "in-line".

Good spot. Fixed.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    MSE_Ian wrote: »
    Good spot. Fixed.

Great. Works just as before.

Thanks. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    Any problems remaining?
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    In the old style I can double click beside a thread title to edit the title "in-line".

With the new style this doesn't seem to work any more. :(

Was this an admin thing or can we all change titles by double clicking? :D
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • bat-out-of-hell
    bat-out-of-hell Posts: 480 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2010 at 6:28PM
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    The new forum is set up just like the old - with it being stretchy to screen size. Could you let us know what

A. Operating System
    B. Browser
    C. Screen size

You have and I will ask our techies to look at it.

1024x768 (or 600 if netbook)

Its actually adjusting correctly, but i see what SplashWellyKid means, once you get past the side menus it does look squashed to the left.

Untitled-1.jpg

But as for loseing stuff, that does not happen until you drop to 800x600 :confused:
    Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

I cant think of a device that may be inbetween those two resolutions, not in the computer world anyway
  • fermi
    Options
    Was this an admin thing or can we all change titles by double clicking? :D

Dunno. Try it on one of your own threads.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    Dunno. Try it on one of your own threads.

Does it have to be a thread I started? And I do it from within subscribed threads - or can you go in and do it to any thread, say within the DFW Boards? Just so I can try the same as you - lol.... :D
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • fermi
    Options
    Does it have to be a thread I started? And I do it from within subscribed threads - or can you go in and do it to any thread, say within the DFW Boards? Just so I can try the same as you - lol.... :D

Only your own threads if you're not a BG. :naughty::p

Doesn't work from your subscribed threads userCP either I think?

• fermi
    Options
    MSE_Ian wrote: »
    Any problems remaining?

As previously mentioned, these two images in the user profile page are missing/not loading from the server.

[noparse]http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_style_2/misc/menu_open_usercss.gif

http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_style_2/misc/userfield_edit.gif[/noparse]

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport