🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

New Look MSE Forum Sneaky Peek Feeback

Options

Comments

• bat-out-of-hell
    bat-out-of-hell Posts: 480 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2010 at 8:55PM
    Options
    In PhPbb you can allow the user to choose a style, but you as the webmaster choose the list, and from the older versions of vBullitin i have played with, fermi is correct, the same option was available, you just create X number of styles for the user to choose from.

It is hidden in the UCP, but can be put on the main page for easy access, as your web team have/did, though as it seems to be cookie based, i am guessing it was a bit of a hack, i know a mod for PHPBB 3 and though vBullitin is a more complicated beast, the theory is not that different
  • bat-out-of-hell
    bat-out-of-hell Posts: 480 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2010 at 9:07PM
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi folks, we havent' found a colour customisable option in the vbulletin (the back end software) code - if someone knows its there then do let us know

On reading that again, your looking for the wrong thing, as i hope fermi's post has highlighted.

But as it is a simple CSS change, I am now wondering if there is a more efficiant way of doing it, and i think your teams hack may be the answer if they can just change the CSS file used, using the same technique :think:
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    But as it is a simple CSS change, I am now wondering if there is a more efficiant way of doing it, and i think your teams hack may be the answer if they can just change the CSS file used, using the same technique :think:

That is exactly what I did.

The Firefox extension I used just allowed me to override a few very small parts of the CSS style for this new template. Quite literally just changing a line or two to tweak the colours.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • bat-out-of-hell
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    That is exactly what I did.

The Firefox extension I used just allowed me to override a few very small parts of the CSS style for this new template. Quite literally just changing a line or two to tweak the colours.

Yes, I use a similar (i think - its part of the web developers toolbar) plug in to firefox to try ideas out, but it’s not permanent.

If i am right in assuming vBullitin remembers the style in the database that the user has chosen, it could be used to select the correct style sheet, rather than a whole style, which is a waste of server space duplicating the bare bones X number of times just to change one file
  • fermi
    Options
    Yes, I use a similar (i think - its part of the web developers toolbar) plug in to firefox to try ideas out, but it’s not permanent.

The FF extension Stylish allows you to make those sorts of tweaks/changes permanent.

In fact, there are 1,000 of tweaks for well known sites submitted by users: -> http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/site/
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok once we've done the new version we'll take a look
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • bat-out-of-hell
    Options
    Wonder if Martin has glazed over yet:p

Bet he is thinking "Why did i ask!":rotfl:
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Ok once we've done the new version we'll take a look

Someone just said you were on Watchdog tonight is it not live?! :eek:

Oops sorry that's off topic :D:o
  • fermi
    Options
    Wonder if Martin has glazed over yet:p

Bet he is thinking "Why did i ask!":rotfl:

More than likely. :o :cool:

• cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ugh ... no way, at least give users the choice between the two styles

edit - aint read this whole thread, clicked on link to new style and went YIKES !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport