Anyone Child Free By Choice?

Options
So obviously I've been a lurker for a long time but have now finally started posting on here.

I've noticed on this particular section of the board that there's a lot of focus on kids - trying to have one, losing one, having them as babies, toddlers, teenagers., etc., etc. With the greatest of respect, I also notice that there's not a lot mentioned about people who are child free by choice and in a relationship or married or not, whatever.

So I'm thinking that there's got to be some other people on here who are child free by choice?

I'd be interested to see if I'm the only one.

Anybody?

:)

Comments

• SP123_3
    SP123_3 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I am also child free by choice.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    I'm very child free by choice - I've always known I never wanted children and to be honest can't really bear to be around them. None of my friends have children, but I guess that's a case of like gravitating towards like.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think there are probably quite a few of us here :)
  • angelicmary85
    angelicmary85 Posts: 4,977 Forumite
    Options
    Now that I have have kids...I can see why people choose not to have them! ;)
    Started PADdin' 13/04/09 paid £7486.66 - CC free 02/11/10
    Aim for 2011 - pay off car loan £260.00 saved
    Nerd No. 1173! :j
    Made by God...Improved by the The Devil :D
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    Me to, eldest left home now, countdown for next who's 15 this year. LOL
  • venus1978
    venus1978 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Don't have kids never want kids.. so count me in as child free by choice
  • BubblyMumbles
    Options
    YAY! Hello peeps! :)

So glad to know it not just me, I was beginning to feel a bit isolated there!

Alyth - I can totally relate, except most of my friends have kids, they produce them at an alarming rate! :eek:

I also have a 'perfect' brother who's already got two with twins on the way! (Not him obviously, sis in law!)

I never really saw myself as a mother, it just kind if isn't me really, I have pets instead LOL! That satisfies any maternal instincts that mightbe lurking there.

Do any of you feel isolated by being CFBC?
  • angelicmary85
    angelicmary85 Posts: 4,977 Forumite
    Options
    merlin68 wrote: »
    Me to, eldest left home now, countdown for next who's 15 this year. LOL

I've still got a long way to go...eldest is 2, youngest is 9months! :rotfl:
    Started PADdin' 13/04/09 paid £7486.66 - CC free 02/11/10
    Aim for 2011 - pay off car loan £260.00 saved
    Nerd No. 1173! :j
    Made by God...Improved by the The Devil :D
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    Bubbly I am a member of a fantastic child-free website, there are a few out there if you google them. Sometimes being child-free can seem like a battle - my brother has two kids and whilst they live far away from me and I rarely see them, it's a three line whip to go and be Auntie A when he does come back up north.

I think if you are strong in your beliefs then you don't have to feel isolated. I am a mature student and work part time in a shop, and I'm horrified by the way some parents treat their children. I made a decision, in fact I didn't, I've always known, and have been told I am respected by some students for sticking to my principles, if you like. I don't dislike kids, they don't figure in my life.

The one thing that does annoy me is people who insist that there is something wrong with you - and that if you hold a baby or child you will suddenly become converted!!!

So no I don't feel isolated, I feel liberated in knowing that I've done the right thing - right for me that is. You always get the arguement "who is going to look after you when you are old" if you don't have children. I could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow, or I could live until I am 90. A parent could be shoved into a nursing home aged 60 by their children - as I keep threatening to do to mine :-)
  • BubblyMumbles
    BubblyMumbles Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2010 at 12:03AM
    Options
    alyth wrote: »
    Bubbly I am a member of a fantastic child-free website, there are a few out there if you google them. Sometimes being child-free can seem like a battle - my brother has two kids and whilst they live far away from me and I rarely see them, it's a three line whip to go and be Auntie A when he does come back up north.

I think if you are strong in your beliefs then you don't have to feel isolated. I am a mature student and work part time in a shop, and I'm horrified by the way some parents treat their children. I made a decision, in fact I didn't, I've always known, and have been told I am respected by some students for sticking to my principles, if you like. I don't dislike kids, they don't figure in my life.

The one thing that does annoy me is people who insist that there is something wrong with you - and that if you hold a baby or child you will suddenly become converted!!!

So no I don't feel isolated, I feel liberated in knowing that I've done the right thing - right for me that is. You always get the arguement "who is going to look after you when you are old" if you don't have children. I could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow, or I could live until I am 90. A parent could be shoved into a nursing home aged 60 by their children - as I keep threatening to do to mine :-)

What an excellent post, an insipration to CFBC peeps! :) :T

I too am far too frequently horrified by the way people treat their kids or moan constantly about them - that really annoys me. It's not like having kids is a new thing, I think if you're smart enough to have them then you're smart enough to know what might be coming your way!

I totally agree with you about the 'who'll look after you' thing, like there's some magic agreement somewhere that people who have kids will be looked after by their offspring! Eh? Where does it say that?

Thia might be far too inflammatory for on here, I don't know - maybe Alyth you could PM me your CF website - but, I have major issues with the financial impact of being CFBC in this society that we live in. It's inceredibly unfair. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport