Adult son starting 1st job - how much should he pay(staying at home)

Replies

• OH and I have a housekeeping purse where we both put cash for the food shop, milk, etc. When my son left uni, he put in the same (though he found it easier to do it monthly). We did not expect extra towards other stuff as the increase in bills was minimal and extra for food was not up by such a large amount.

The 2 girls did not have much wage when they started working, so we took less. But it was important that something was expected from them every week. Reasonable and manageable. Even less for one when she did not work, by choice, but still something.

We did not expect anything if they were on holiday.

We did not want rent, as such, as we are buying the house and it will be ours not theirs (until we pop our clogs).

Also the amount was non-negotiable when they were saving to move out. After all, no-one is going to bail them out financially in life and basics need to be paid for. But it worked out fine, everyone, including us, were treated the same. Apart from the odd "have you put your money in the purse cos I'm going shopping" question. Reminder rather than hassle.
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sami_Bee wrote: »
    OP - If you are going to save some of the "keep" as you mentioned and you are going to tell ur son he needs to save some of his share of the wage I suggest you save the same as his minimum amount ie.
    If he says he will save £50 a week himself and is paying you £80 pw then you put £50 of the keep so in the end he will have double what he has saved :T if he doesn't keep up his payments into the savings then deduct that from the final amount and tell him this when the time comes - that'll teach him :D

It's kind of you to offer advice but I suspect the OP will likely have made a decision now given that the thread is nearly 3 years old. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Guess this question is always cropping up for people
  • aliasojoaliasojo Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh without doubt, I only replied to Sami's post as he or she addressed it to the OP and they might have wondered why the OP didn't thank or comment on their advice. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Sami_BeeSami_Bee Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    aliasojo wrote: »
    It's kind of you to offer advice but I suspect the OP will likely have made a decision now given that the thread is nearly 3 years old. :D

:rotfl:That's what I get for bein up so late :doh:
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • When I started my 1st job, me & my mum sat down and talked about rent. We agreed that I could live rent free but had to do all the chores (weekdays), as my mum worked long hours at the time & went to evening college.
    Our arrangement worked great, although I still cant budget, I can cook, clean, iron, etc, so I learn't something.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never make a profit out of my children returning home.

However you dress it up as "teaching independence" or "learning to budget", my home is their home and the door is always open.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • I always thought 20% seemed fair but my sons wages flutuate with overtime and so we agreed on £100 per month.
    TBH the money does help and he is happy to pay it. It is also nice that he notices when we are low on milk, biscuits etc and will buy some without asking for the cash back.
    He is 21 and so far we have always paid to take him on holiday, for meals out and everything. I also funded him while at uni for 2 years but then he left.
    This year he is coming on holiday with us but paying is own share, I think that is right, so does he.
  • it is supposed to be 25% aas that is just a bit less than what they would pay in the real world. so it is good preparation.
  • Silvercar - doubt many parents actually make a profit from their kids. Doubt many would want to. To go towards a basic like food and have the run of the house sounds reasonable. Of course it is their home, but when they are adults, for me, there needs to be an awareness of beginning to stand on your own two feet.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals