Adult son starting 1st job - how much should he pay(staying at home)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
72 replies 3.5K views
jem16jem16 Forumite
19.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
I had a search but couldn't find anything although I'm sure I've seen simialr questions months ago so apologies for asking again.

My son has now graduated and will be starting on a graduate programme from October. He plans to stay at home meanwhile. I'm looking for advice on what I should be expecting him to pay for his "keep"?

Replies

• cmjohnson_86cmjohnson_86 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Well im 19 and I pay £30 a week rent.. Some of my mates pay more than that tho
  • When I turned 17 and was on benefits due to ill health (170bi-weekly), I used to pay my mum £100 pm.
    1 John 4: 7 & 8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Holiday Haggler
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My parents asked my bro to give them 100 p/m, then after a year when he went to start a masters degree, they gave him it back towards fee costs.

How about charge him 200 p/m then when he talks about moving out/buying somewhere, give him some of this money back to help him out.. its not cheap in the first month of a job when you don't have any salary.

It all depends how much you need the money and how you want him to handle his finances. If you want to give him a taste of reality, bump it up to 300 p/m. That would be kinda mean though...
  • robnyerobnye Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    there was another thread about this sort of thing, but the heat has got to me and i cant find it

I would probably follow my mothers line of thinking,
    ask for 25% of the persons income, I would use half of that (12.5%) towards current household costs. the other (12.5%) I would put into a savings account, then hand it back when they leave or to help them out when they move out/buy somewhere
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • youngieyoungie Forumite
    997 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The fomula I used with my kids when they started to pay housekeeping was a quater of their net wage after they had deducted their travel costs they all seemed to think this was fair even though they all earned different amounts
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    robnye wrote:
    there was another thread about this sort of thing, but the heat has got to me and i cant find it

I would probably follow my mothers line of thinking,
    ask for 25% of the persons income, I would use half of that (12.5%) towards current household costs. the other (12.5%) I would put into a savings account, then hand it back when they leave or to help them out when they move out/buy somewhere
    I'll do that, thanks Rob :T

My son starts work next week, I wanted to save some of his keep for him (secretly) but didn't know how much. I'm going to be extra mean and make him save some as well, he won't learn to save otherwise will he? :D
    Bulletproof
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody.

I don't need the money from him but I want to make sure that he understands he has to pay his own way now he's working. I did like the idea of saving it for him and giving it back to him when he's ready to get somehwere of his own. However I wasn't sure if it was best to get him to save the money or for me to save it for him.
  • I've just had this discussion with my friend and she thinks its disgusting that parents take money from their children/adults once they start work. She told me we bring the child into the world we should pay for them until they leave home. She never paid any housekeeping whilst staying with her parents and thinks its wrong for parents to ask their children to do so. Glad Im not only one who thinks they should pay - so might show her this thread.
  • jem16 wrote:
    I had a search but couldn't find anything although I'm sure I've seen simialr questions months ago so apologies for asking again.

My son has now graduated and will be starting on a graduate programme from October. He plans to stay at home meanwhile. I'm looking for advice on what I should be expecting him to pay for his "keep"?

One third of his net earnings, save one third and spend the other third
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would probably sit down and go through with him how much it would cost him to live in his own place. Make a list of rent, food, gas, water, tv etc etc and add it all up. Then come to a decision about it based on that.

If I could manage without the money I would save what he was giving me to help him when he moves out, but I wouldn't tell him. I'd expect him to put savings away himself too so he's used to saving and can handle it when he's on his own.

I gave my parents a quarter of my earnings and spent 3 quarters on having fun. I didn't have a clue how to manage money when I left home.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals