'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 2:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 335.3K views

Replies

• edited 12 February 2010 at 10:26AM
    bex37_2bex37_2 Forumite
    44 Posts
    edited 12 February 2010 at 10:26AM
    It was me, I'm about half way through and loving it.

Has anyone read any books by Mitch Albom, Five People you Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie - they are lovely books.

My all time favourite, however has to be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

I have read and loved both of these and one of his other books For One More Day. I believe he released another book at the end of last year but as yet I've managed to resist that one.

Talking of resisting, I went round my local shopping centre last night and spent some time in all the book shops but managed not to buy anything:T. There were lots of tempting 3 for £5 and buy one get one free offers though so I've definitely added a few to my wishlist.

When I got home last night I was looking through my shelves trying to decide what to read next and decided to pick one of the books that have been there for a while so my next read will be The Mask by Dean Koontz. I remember reading a few pages of this on the bus on the way home from buying it but never got any further. This morning I discovered that the bus ticket was still inside... it's from April 1995 :o.
    Debt at LBM (May 2007) - £32,891
    Debt at 06.04.10 - £9158.57. Getting there slowly. :j

April NSD 1/12
  • edited 12 February 2010 at 10:59AM
    mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 February 2010 at 10:59AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by feedumall viewpost.gif
    the book thief is one of my all time favourites

i love that book, my DD brought me a copy for my birthday last year and i raved about it to anyoe who would listen i lent it to 5 people and they all loved it my sons teacher has it at the moment.
    I read the lovely bones beofre the film came out and lent that to a freind (my sister has it at the mo) friend watched the film and was really disappointed after readinbg the book so i dont think ill bother with the film. i will read the book again when i get it back.

ive just done the count of shame in the spare bedroom (bearing in mind there are other bookcases in the house) i have 148 books waiting to be read :oand only 14 in there that ive read. The friday night knitting club was another i particularly enjoyed and i admit if i do see a copy of the follow up book i will be forced to buy it. --The friday night knitting club is going to be made into a film soon i heard julia roberts is going to be in to
    most of my books are historical novels (philippa gregory features heavily) i also like Anita shreve and have a few of hers to get throgh after reading light on snow and body surfing and liking her style.

im reading the virgins lover at the mo this is the last of the tudor books by philippa gregory - i got into her after buying the other boleyn girl when it first came out for my mil and reading it before i gave her it. Ive read that 3 times now and dont tire of it.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    niccatw wrote: »
    That's exactly why I won't watch The Time Traveller's Wife. I was upset by the TV trailers - they just do not matchthe picture I had in my head!

i started reading the time travellers wife from the libary but was taking too long then the film came out and it became popular so when i took it back to renew there was a waiting list for it and the libarian took it off me:eek::(
    i did go to see the film but hadnt read eniough of the book to knw how true it was. one of my DDs bought me the book for christmas so its in my to be read room
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • OOooooooh can I join too and also extend it to my mother who, despite knowing we have decluttered in an attempt to sell the house, still passes on all the books she's read??!

I'm currently reading "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain" by John O'Farrell - very funny!
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS! DFW Nerd 1004
    Debt at lightbulb moment (April 2004) - £62,000
    Debt now - £27703.11 - UNDER 30k AT LAST!!!!!
    Drop one thing in 2010 - no books / DVDs until I've read and watched the ones that are on the shelf!
  • This is such a good idea!

My problem is seeing a book and thinking "that looks good, I'd better buy it before the tv/movie version comes out/someone spoils the end/I forget what it's called". I've tried to help myself by whenever I see a book I fancy, I add it to my wish list on amazon so I can remember what they are.

And I re-read favourites and don't read the new ones. I have book issues!

Not sure what to start next - will scan the shelves when I get home!
    February 2010 Credit card - £8200 Credit card - £8000 Credit card - £1500 Credit card - £700 Overdraft - £1500 Storecard - £350 Personal loan - £2900

Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • feedumallfeedumall Forumite
    360 Posts
    ✭✭
    do you all use your library's as ours is rubbish,went to stay with daughter and her library is brilliant friendly, and has a section of new releases etc,also our charity shops are so expensive cheaper to have them delivered from amazon,love car boots though bought 10 dean koontz hardback brand new for 1.50 :j.another time a large selection of early bookclub editions never opened for2.00 the lady bought them over 30 years ago because she wanted to fill a bookcase:eek:lucky me though:D
  • thriftymoothriftymoo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It was me, I'm about half way through and loving it.

Has anyone read any books by Mitch Albom, Five People you Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie - they are lovely books.

My all time favourite, however has to be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
    cool glad you're enjoying it!:D
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
  • niccatwniccatw Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i started reading the time travellers wife from the libary but was taking too long then the film came out and it became popular so when i took it back to renew there was a waiting list for it and the libarian took it off me:eek::(
    i did go to see the film but hadnt read eniough of the book to knw how true it was. one of my DDs bought me the book for christmas so its in my to be read room

My friend recommended and loaned it to me. I didn't think it was the kind of book I would like. How wrong I was!

After I read it, I was on the train to London and the women sitting next to me was reading it - I was dying to ask her where she was in it!
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • I always thought I could never get rid of my books:eek: and I had loads I had never read. Probably about 500 or 600, maybe more. But I couldn't possibly get rid of them! I love books! I have to have lots of them about!

Then I started to sort my finances out, and started selling stuff like clothes, perfume etc. I would eye my glossy coffee table type books (flicked through once, perhaps), books from childhood, hundreds of classics, brand new but unread ones, texts from uni etc... so decided that, perhaps, maybe I could sell a couple. Just a couple, any more would have been too distressing.

Which I did, and that spurred me on to get rid of all my uni books, which I was never going to read and reminded me only of being stressed and anxious everytime I opened them (usually only shortly before the essay deadlines!).

A bit later, I thought, am I really going to look through those coffee table books again? Do I really love all the pictures in them, or am I not really interested in that subject anymore? I wasn't, so I sold them all.

Then I decided to go through all the rest, and sort out those that I really loved to keep, those that I wasn't bothered about to sell, and separate out those that I was intending to read (the reason for this was at the time I had about £40 worth of library fines outstanding...I decided cold turkey from the library until the fines got paid was the only way!:o). Sold the ones I wasn't so bothered about (or if they were less than a pound on amazon, I donated them to charity shop :A).

I stacked the 100 or so books I hadn't read next to my bed 'to read'. Shortly after, I realised that seeing them every day made me feel terrible. I started diligently ploughing through them, and noticed many had bookmarks stuck a few chapters in.... finally I decided enough was enough. I had read the few that I wanted to read, but the thought of spending the time reading the rest made my heart sink.

So I bagged them all up and took them to the charity shop. I felt brilliant! A clean reading slate! I now have about 50 books; 40 or so are well loved from my childhood. A few more are those books which I love and have happy memories, and will often pick up and flick through. There are about 5 or so new ones 'to read'. Even now, if I pick one up and my heart sinks, I get rid of it straight away... there are so many good books about that life is too short to diligently read something I really don't want to. If I start a book and it's boring, I'm not at school, I can get rid of it..I don't have to 'finish' it (particularly when that means dumping it on a shelf never to be looked at again!)

Sorry for long post, but thought it might help someone else to make a start on what seems like a huge and horrible task..:)
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    I want to read A Town Called Alice, it's going to have to wait a while though! I loved The Book Thief too. I always used to think Daphne Du Maurier was a really high brow hard to read author, I put her in the same class as Jane Austin, then I got Frenchman's Creek as a present and loved it, I've read a few of hers now.

I usually hate films of books - I read The Reader last weekend then watched the film, I think it was only 5 minutes in when I was getting annoyed at them making pointless changes. I know that things have to be changed to condense it into a couple of hours film, but when they change simple things it really annoys me.

I had to go into Oxfam books today to buy a ticket to David Peace giving a talk, and came out with no books! Yay! And I avoided the book section in tesco too.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.