'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Options

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Incidentally, the read it swap it website is good, though I don't see why we couldn't do a simlilar thing on MSE? Maybe informally on an ad hoc basis rather than working out how to store or view a library, just a thought. It is quite obviously a trust thing but if anyone 'let themselves down' shall I say, well, they wouldn't feel too comfortable posting anything on this forum after that surely?

:wave: AW!

I see what you are saying and it makes sense, but if I remember correctly there is something in the forum rules about posting for personal gain, and even though no money would be changing hands, I'm not sure whether or not that would count. Plus, if someone did mess another person around, it could get nasty (although we are mainly civilised people here on the book thread! ;)). I'm not sure if Martin/the mods would go for it. I wonder if there is some other way of doing it? *Thinks hard* (If anyone else can think of anything else, feel free to chip in! ;))

Pickle
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• feedumall
    Options
    I to have a library over a thousand books well nearer two thousand:o a really comfy sofa ,and i snuggle up with a book and it is heaven,i try to limit myself but amazon calls so more books are bought:D,i will sell books i wont read again or my daughters wont like ,but some books are to wonderful to part with.valantines day is coming up and hubby has bought me books:Dso another thirty to add to the shelves but i have sold two this week:T.some people have a passion for music,some fine wine ,mine is books, the feel, the smell ,the turning of the first page and the story unfolds bliss .
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    feedumall wrote: »
    I to have a library over a thousand books well nearer two thousand:o a really comfy sofa ,and i snuggle up with a book and it is heaven,i try to limit myself but amazon calls so more books are bought:D,i will sell books i wont read again or my daughters wont like ,but some books are to wonderful to part with.valantines day is coming up and hubby has bought me books:Dso another thirty to add to the shelves but i have sold two this week:T.some people have a passion for music,some fine wine ,mine is books, the feel, the smell ,the turning of the first page and the story unfolds bliss .

:D "My name's feedumall and I'm a bookaholic!" :D;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Very very slightly off-topic, but as we are all book-lovers here, I hope that Ms Pickle will not mind.

About fifteen years ago, Waterstones carried out a large survey of book-buyers in their shops and came up with a definite list of the 100 most popular books. The survey was slightly flawed as book-buyers are not necessarily book readers. Film and TV tie-ins came in too high (in my opinion!) and school books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm also got high mentions. Catcher in the Rye was also very high but I think this must be read during teen-age years to fully appreciate it - I read it in later life, and it left me cold.

Anyway, today's quiz question is:

Which book do you think headed the survey list of the 100 favourite book?
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • feedumall
    Options
    terryw i know the answer :D but wont give it away not my cup of tea though,a bookaholic love it ,forgot to add one bookcase on landing ,3 in alcove under stairs 2 large book cases in lounge i dear maybe i need help but not yet, my valantines books have just arrived:T .my grandaughter 12 says the new book smell should be bottled it is so:j:j:j.she is a bookaholic to :T,she is super bright and has had poetry published twice ,i have those books to ,signed of course:D
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, am loving this thread, I also now have a list as long as my arm, lol, of ones I want to read.

Have just finished James Patterson's "Alex Cross's Trial" and am trying to finish one from ages ago "Beautiful Child" by Tory Hayden. I too have numerous books unread on shelves in various rooms and boxes so feel in good company and hope you dont mind me dropping in and out.

That'll be 5 since January - slower than Id like but things are manic here.

Looking forward to lots more recommendations, keep up the good work.:T
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's great to see there are so many other book addicts out there! I have bags of books everywhere. I am a member of www.bookmooch.com. I like it because you don't swap books as such, you "sell" them for points and then use those points to buy books. I have managed to get some really rare stuff on there. It does mean that I ultimately still end up with as many books as before, but at least I haven't spent a fortune to get them!
  • velocity.girl_2
    Options
    hmmm terryw was it, lord of the rings??? if so i couldn't agree more :) again i have just brought 4 more books-i'm a lost cause me!!! lol ;)
    Hoping to of finally learned my lesson...slowly but surely
  • flaire
    flaire Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    I moved house in September and as we packed, my husband started commenting about all the books. 'Have you actually read this?' he would ask. I'd mumble something and he'd put it in the 'unread' pile. Five bookcases later, there was a huge pile!

He banned me from buying books! Barbarian. Uncouth lout. I'm not allowed to buy anymore books till the 'unread' bookcase has been emptied.

:(

Then I remembered the library. :j Oh, joy.
    :hello:
  • velocity.girl_2
    Options
    flaire my OH is exactly the same when we moved he was litterally tearing what little hair he had out ;) he couldn't believe it was poss that i'd 'aquired' so many books...i'm currently culling my bookcases as i still have about 6 boxes full in the shed of 'unread' that i've had for about 5 years and keep adding too...i'm thinking if i haven't read them yet i never will, will i? so i think a mega GM listing day at some point soon!
    Hoping to of finally learned my lesson...slowly but surely
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure