edited 21 June 2016 at 2:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 335.3K views

Replies

• HermiaHermia Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    terryw wrote: »
    Very very slightly off-topic, but as we are all book-lovers here, I hope that Ms Pickle will not mind.

About fifteen years ago, Waterstones carried out a large survey of book-buyers in their shops and came up with a definite list of the 100 most popular books. The survey was slightly flawed as book-buyers are not necessarily book readers. Film and TV tie-ins came in too high (in my opinion!) and school books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm also got high mentions. Catcher in the Rye was also very high but I think this must be read during teen-age years to fully appreciate it - I read it in later life, and it left me cold.

Anyway, today's quiz question is:

Which book do you think headed the survey list of the 100 favourite book?

I work in a library and we were quite heavily involved in the Big Read survey that was done a few years ago. Books that were made into films dominated the survey and LOTR won. We were supposed to help people with their votes if they were not used to computers. I couldn't believe how many people told me that:

(i) they had not read the book they had voted for, but had liked the film/TV adaption.
    (ii) the book they voted for was the only book they had actually read from the longlist so they couldn't actually judge if it was the best book

I was gobsmacked!
  • niccatwniccatw Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hermia, I'm not really surprised that people said that, though do find it ironic that the people saying it were actually using their library. I would have hoped they would know better.

I'm not sure I could vote tbh... I would need a book for many different genres, and for my different moods. Then they are the books I loved when I read them but may have forgotten about. And ones that, if I read again, I would wonder what it was I'd liked the first time round, and those vague one's that keep me awake at night trying to remember what they were (one day I will figure out what childbook it was that I read that involved a mouse and astronomy and some kind of adventurous journey!!!)

Just received my bookhop "The Boy in Stiped Pyjamas". I've just read it (borrowed from a friend) but (another) friend had used her hop for the week and couldn't get it, so this one's not actually for me. :A
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • thriftymoothriftymoo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya all,

I'm a bookaholic too, so i'd better join in... i think ive got about 50 books to read and had already decided to cut down my book buying this year. been quite good so far. One of you mentioned Marian Keyes the brightest star in the sky (just read the whole thread so cant remember who sorry!) just read it and its fab! Love her stuff, also i great fan of katie fforde, cecila ahern, jane green, jill mansell all that type of stuff. Currently reading "women on the verge of a nervous breakdown" by Lorna Martin, i've been good and borrowed it :) good so far :D
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
  • feedumallfeedumall Forumite
    360 Posts
    ✭✭
    i am a lost cause bought two books for grandaughter the hunger games 1 and 2 and read them ,loved them so have pre ordered the third in the trilogy ,the book thief is one of my all time favourites,and if you like a good cry marlie and me had me blubbing for hours:o.my husband doesn't mind the book mountains he reads alot ,but his dvd collection:eek:
  • I love books too.My DH is worse than me, he won't let me get rid of any of his books.
  • terrywterryw Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hermia wrote: »
    I work in a library and we were quite heavily involved in the Big Read survey that was done a few years ago. Books that were made into films dominated the survey and LOTR won. We were supposed to help people with their votes if they were not used to computers. I couldn't believe how many people told me that:

(i) they had not read the book they had voted for, but had liked the film/TV adaption.
    (ii) the book they voted for was the only book they had actually read from the longlist so they couldn't actually judge if it was the best book

I was gobsmacked!

The Waterstones number one was The Hobbit.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    hmmm terryw was it, lord of the rings??? if so i couldn't agree more :) again i have just brought 4 more books-i'm a lost cause me!!! lol ;)

I thought it was that, I love that book, I read it first when I was ten and kept rereading it for years.
    flaire wrote: »

He banned me from buying books! Barbarian. Uncouth lout. I'm not allowed to buy anymore books till the 'unread' bookcase has been emptied.

:(

My sister tried that. It made me really unhappy so I stopped listening to her, she was trying to change my life in other ways too though.
    niccatw wrote: »

I'm not sure I could vote tbh... I would need a book for many different genres, and for my different moods. Then they are the books I loved when I read them but may have forgotten about. And ones that, if I read again, I would wonder what it was I'd liked the first time round, and those vague one's that keep me awake at night trying to remember what they were (one day I will figure out what childbook it was that I read that involved a mouse and astronomy and some kind of adventurous journey!!!)

Was it the Deptford Mice trilogy by Roin Jarvis? I re read that a few years ago and was gobsmacked - mice getting skinned alive and all sorts, I didn't bat an eyelid when I read it as a kid but as an adult it gave me nightmares!

Hermia, is your avvie book/librarian related?

Whoever mentioned Catcher in the Rye, I agree, I tried to read it a couple of years ago but just couldn't get into it, to me it was just a teenage boy being a teenage boy, yawn. It was suggested for one of my book clubs, but we decided against it cos everyone had already read it.

I had a test today - I went to a meeting in a library with charity shops nearby. I ignored the shops (my first thought when I saw them was 'books!'). The library had books for sale, but luckily no adult ones left, but I did get caught by a display which had books that looked good. I didn't write down all the titles though to shop online for when I got home, like I normally would. So I'm quite proud of myself!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • terrywterryw Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ames wrote: »
    Whoever mentioned Catcher in the Rye, I agree, I tried to read it a couple of years ago but just couldn't get into it, to me it was just a teenage boy being a teenage boy, yawn. It was suggested for one of my book clubs, but we decided against it cos everyone had already read it.

Yep, that was me.....I agree with you absolutely.

By the way, To kill a Mockingbird is a right fraud. It teaches you not to judge a person by the colour of his skin but absolutely nothing, nil, nix about how to kill a mockingbird!

Homer Simpson cracked that one better than me.
  • charlies_mumcharlies_mum Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya all,

One of you mentioned Marian Keyes the brightest star in the sky (just read the whole thread so cant remember who sorry!) just read it and its fab!

It was me, I'm about half way through and loving it.

Has anyone read any books by Mitch Albom, Five People you Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie - they are lovely books.

My all time favourite, however has to be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • terrywterryw Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

My all time favourite, however has to be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Yes, not a bad little pot-boiler but does not compare comparison with A Town like Alice. A cracking movie but it only tells half the story. Please, please read the book to find out out what happens to the lovers after they re-unite, if anyone has not done so..