'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 2:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 334.8K views

Replies

• Ames wrote: »
    I've even put this challenge in my sig, hopefully that'll help keep me on the straight and narrow!

Now there's an idea! Trouble is I'm not sure that I have any more room left! :o
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• niccatwniccatw Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ames wrote: »
    Ooh, I read the Reader over the weekend! And I love Russian literature, haven't read enough Tolstoy though, only Anna Karenina. I got halfway through War and Peace but had to give it up to concentrate on studying, hopefully I can pick up where I left off. The Geisha one sounds interesting.

Those are the two I keep meaning to read! Started War ad Peace numerous times but always put it down for something else. I'd probably be better starting the other way around. I loved Madame Bovary, so I guess I'd get futrther with Anna Karenina!

The Geisha one is great. If you read Arthur Golden's book and liked it, then you'll like this. I'm guessing he based his novel around Madame Sadayakko.

I like what you've done in your sig! I was a bit more blunt in mine but I might change it and copy you :)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    If you liked Madame Bovary then you'll love Anna Karenina, it's one of my favourite ever books. I did like the Arthur Golden one, when I can get more books I'll look out for the other one! Have you read Wild Swans? That was amazing.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, no... but it's also on my "to read" shelf! :j Will look it out to start next! I picked up a signed copy at a local book sale on at a park near me. I guess I'll need to give that up :( (I know I won't have the willpower not to buy a bargain there ;))
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • Ive got 820 books, 160 of which are unread, yikes! My reading has slowed down a lot in the last couple of years, just don't seem to have time.

I bought a book database programme (wont mention the name incase it breaks site rules) and a handheld laser barcode scanner. Scanned all my books in, am going through all my orders on Amazon going back to 2001 entering the date of purchase, cost etc. When finished, I can print out a list, might come in handy in the event of catastrophe like a fire etc for an insurance claim. (also got databases for DVD's, CD's and comics).
    Debt at 1/1/11 £7,049.75, now £6,682.12 at 9/3/11
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a book database programme (wont mention the name incase it breaks site rules) and a handheld laser barcode scanner. Scanned all my books in, am going through all my orders on Amazon going back to 2001 entering the date of purchase, cost etc. When finished, I can print out a list, might come in handy in the event of catastrophe like a fire etc for an insurance claim. (also got databases for DVD's, CD's and comics).

Wow, that's hardcore. I always thought I'd get around to doing that! But I never quite got a round to it (story of my life!) and now I've de-cluttered a bit, there doesn't seem much point (although, now there are so many less books, it would be the time to start!)

Mike's Mob
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    I'd love to do that too. It never occurred to me before, but if the place burned down the biggest expense would be to replace my books. Just on a quick adding up of shelves I must have at least 500 books. How much was the software?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Ames wrote: »
    If you liked Madame Bovary then you'll love Anna Karenina, it's one of my favourite ever books. I did like the Arthur Golden one, when I can get more books I'll look out for the other one! Have you read Wild Swans? That was amazing.

Brilliant book, Ames, I loved it and was really sad when I finished it, it's on my list to re-read at some point. I love Russian literature as well - War and Peace is gripping once you get past the first 100 pages;), couldn't put it down..

Lots of really interesting-looking books being read on here. Pickle, I thought this thread was meant to discourage us from reading books, I'm making a list of books I want to buy from reading all the posts :o
    :) The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant book, Ames, I loved it and was really sad when I finished it, it's on my list to re-read at some point. I love Russian literature as well - War and Peace is gripping once you get past the first 100 pages;), couldn't put it down..

Lots of really interesting-looking books being read on here. Pickle, I thought this thread was meant to discourage us from reading books, I'm making a list of books I want to buy from reading all the posts :o

Yeah, it's those first 100 pages that are my sticking point!

And I completly agree - we're all now going to need a seperate bookshelf for the notebooks listing the books we want to read when we can get more books :D

Mike's Mob
  • Lots of really interesting-looking books being read on here. Pickle, I thought this thread was meant to discourage us from reading books, I'm making a list of books I want to buy from reading all the posts :o

:rotfl: Me too, but as a fan of Anna Karenina I am glad to note that one of the books in my 'to read' box is Mme Bovary! :T

But seriously, I think having a list is a good idea, but perhaps we can act on our lists on a 'one in, one out' basis whereby we can only buy a new book when we have read and disposed of another? Perhaps those book recycling websites would be useful in that respect? I know not everyone would be up for that, but at least it would keep a cap on the numbers, and there is always the library (although after I've got through my current batch I am going to make a concerted effort to get through the box of books before lending any more.

Good luck, folks! :)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~