'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

1417418419420421423»

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I read Bridget Hones' Baby over Christmas. It was fun, but I'm unlikely to read it again so I gave it to a charity shop.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 February 2020 at 11:14AM
    New to MSE Forum and on my wanderings trying to familiarise myself with it I came across this thread.  Heaven sent for someone like me, a book magpie :o.

Have tried to cut down my book buying and have pretty much succeeded except for charity shops.  Whenever I take a donation of books in I always seem to come out with more to take their place.  I tend to excuse this by telling myself they were only 50p/£1 each and it was for charity anyway.  Defeats the object though of reading the mountain I already have and then donating or selling on.

I've been having eye trouble for the past few months involving frequent eye drops each day which blur my vision so I've been trying to find any books with larger print among my stash.  The cheaper paperbacks have such small and faint printing on greyish paper.  Nightmare!  Currently plodding my way through Volume 2 of the authorized biography of Margaret Thatcher by Charles Moore.  A bargain charity shop buy!  Nice hardback, very thick though. Reasonably clear black print but there's so many words per page and the footnotes are so hard to read.  I'll persist though as I read Vol 1  before my eyes started playing up and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There's also a newly published Vol 3 but I'll try to get that from the library someday. Whatever people thought of Mrs T and her politics she certainly lived through and helped shape some interesting times!
  • Fidelia
    Fidelia Posts: 321
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 January 2021 at 12:09PM
    I'm not sure if this challenge is still 'live' but it's certainly exactly what I'm looking for.  When I think of the vast amount of money I must have spent on books over the years I almost feel sick!  Not that I ever begrudge the cost of a good read but many were bought on 3-for-2 and were definitely not a bargain when I didn't even need one, never mind the two to get the freebie and probably none of them  were 'must reads'.  How many times did I fall for the hype?  The very words 'Sunday Times' or  'New York Times'  Bestseller have been my downfall.  I was also a sucker for bundles of books from car boot sales and charity stalls.

With charity shops closed for the duration I've been selling books in volume to such as We Buy Books but the return is laughably small.  eBay is slightly better but I hate selling on there nowadays mainly because of stroppy buyers.  After a massive declutter over lockdown, and lots much more to do, I still have piles and boxes of books to dispose of.  I know many of these won't be read again, by me anyway, as I never  read a book twice unless it is extra special and none of these are.

I was surprised to unearth so many books that I never got round to reading in the first place, probably parts of the said 3-for-2 offers.  With our mobile library now not visiting our remote village even on its previous monthly appearance I've given up borrowing books from the library.  There's nothing for it but to read what I already have especially as I'm on a saving mission for the rest of the year.  If the challenge is still active I's love to join please and look forward to the company along the way.

I'm just about to start on either The Tattooist of Auschwitz
    by Heather Morris or Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty.  I'm not the sort of reader who can have 2 different books 'on the go' at the same time.
    New Challenge:  Tilly Tidy as much as possible in 2022.  Running total to 26 Feb: £183.77

Tilly Tidy to £1200+ by 31/12/2021 Challenge.   
    Final 2021 total: £1313.37 /£1200+     Average £109.45/month 
    J£74.95/F£92.17/M£99.42/A£98.20/M£116.30/J£129.68/J£93.37/A£140.25/S£128.10/O£119.57/N£106.20/D:£115.16
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,531
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am going to join in, please?  I have literally thousands of books on Kindle and a big library of real, unread books in my house. I have already sold/given away the ones I could bear to part with so I won't be downsizing them any further in the near future. I've also got the library, and library digital books and magazines available on my phone, so really there is no need for me to buy anymore books.  Kindle daily and monthly deals are so dangerous though - I need to stop looking at them!

Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback