'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 2:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 335.3K views

Replies

• This sounds like the perfect challenge for me. I love reading, but I have so many books I need to read! I have got to try not to buy any, but I will make an exception if I have gift vouchers to buy them. I have just finished Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad, which was excellent if you like that type of book. :)
    Free Films in 2011: Tangled, Chalet Girl, Never Say Never, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    No Buying Books in 2011 - Books read: 6
  • Well today I made a start on the bookshelf in the living room.

It's got really deep shelves so has books hiding behind each other, so I tried to sort them out, chick lit - Jane Green, Wendy Holden et al, detective fiction, sci fi, others and then to my shame found loads of penguin classics. Most of the classics, although I've read them at some point in my life, I bought them to re-read and they are all brand new - 50 of them, including Madam Bovary, Anna Karenina, King Solomons mines.

Agree about War & Peace, read it years ago and every year say I must read it again but never get round to it.

i still have the bookshelf on the landing, the one in my bedroom, and all the books under my bed to go through.

On the issue of book/film tie ins, had an interesting conversation a while ago with a girl in work who was reading a Jeffrey Deaver book (The Bone Collector) and she told me she bought it because she liked the film. I had never seen the film and was shocked to find it starred Denzel Washington and Angelina jolie as neither of them fitted my idea of the characters.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • niccatwniccatw Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

On the issue of book/film tie ins, had an interesting conversation a while ago with a girl in work who was reading a Jeffrey Deaver book (The Bone Collector) and she told me she bought it because she liked the film. I had never seen the film and was shocked to find it starred Denzel Washington and Angelina jolie as neither of them fitted my idea of the characters.

That's exactly why I won't watch The Time Traveller's Wife. I was upset by the TV trailers - they just do not matchthe picture I had in my head!

I generally don't mind films of novels though - as long as it's a good adaptation. And I've read the book first. Had this arguement with a friend re the Harry Potter books. Love them all! Also love the films. She hates the films because they don't stay true to the books - despite me pointing out we'd never have time in the day to watch a movie the length of which it would need to be to stay true to the book!
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    feedumall wrote: »
    the book thief is one of my all time favourites

I've been trying to get that on one of the swap sites for ages. I've loads of bookmooch points but haven't found the ones I want yet. Can't wait for it to be available.
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ames wrote: »
    Was it the Deptford Mice trilogy by Roin Jarvis? I re read that a few years ago and was gobsmacked - mice getting skinned alive and all sorts, I didn't bat an eyelid when I read it as a kid but as an adult it gave me nightmares!

Another one to add to my swapsite's wishlists. There's only one way I'm going to find out if it is :D

(No, I haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes yet>)

Mike's Mob
  • feedumallfeedumall Forumite
    360 Posts
    ✭✭
    rebecca is a great book ,see what you have done terryw now i have to get a town like alice :Dscuttles of to amazon :D.oh and have a look for the mice to:D
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    feedumall, I think we'll all just have to let you buy all the books and hope you give us a Jackanory recital through some magic interweb technolgy thingmajiggybob :)

Mike's Mob
  • nodwahnodwah Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I soooo have to join in with this. I haven't counted my books but it's hundreds!
    I have a pile of unread ones by the bed, anther 2 piles of read books behind the laundry bin(!) a bookcase in the living room and a "library".
    The library is in the converted garage and must contain 500 books, mostly my husband's - he will never get rid of anything, his mantra is "keep everything you've ever owned".
    Anyway to get back on track, I tried a "one in one out" policy on books, but slipped majorly!
    We did start a read it swap it shelf in the tearoom at work so a few have gone there and I've sold 2 on green metropolis (and bought 3).
    I've sold a few on amazon but they do hang around a long time before they go and there are a lot of professional sellers there selling at £0.01.
    I once had a book on there for so long that when it finally sold... I couldn't find it!!! the buyer was very understanding about it luckily!!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • terryw wrote: »
    Yes, not a bad little pot-boiler but does not compare comparison with A Town like Alice. A cracking movie but it only tells half the story. Please, please read the book to find out out what happens to the lovers after they re-unite, if anyone has not done so..

I love that book terryw - read it 3-4 times at least since I first got it many years ago (onto my second copy as the first one fell apart)
    niccatw wrote: »
    I generally don't mind films of novels though - as long as it's a good adaptation. And I've read the book first.

Same here nicca - I hate seeing the film first, it totally spoils the book for me. Worst film adaptation I've seen has to be Charlotte Grey - loved the book, HATED the film - it was dire IMHO. Sorry, someone on here will probably say they loved the film, so I'll apologise in advance :D

My "want to read" list is still growing, thanks to everyone's recommendations, I can see I'm going to have to sort some books out to put on Green Metropolis.
    :) The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)
  • HermiaHermia Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ames wrote: »
    Hermia, is your avvie book/librarian related?

I love orangutans and the Librarian in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels is one of my favourite fictional characters so yes! Working in a library would be so much easier if I could pick books up with my feet...