Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt-free Wannabe Challenges

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 2:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 334.1K views

Replies

• candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woohoo i'm so excited!!Joined the book swap site yest, and i've posted my first book out today, and am waiting for my swap now:j:jIt cost £1.85 second class, but I like the ethos of swapping and not buying new, even though I can get them free from library ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to join in too. I have shelves full of unread books. I am currently reading The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir (one I'd had on my shelf for ages) and I'm enjoying it so far.

I used to keep every book I had read, but I had a big clearout last year (which felt great!) and now I only keep books that I absolutely love and might read again.

im sure thats on my to be read shelf, someone else mentioned the life laundry, ive got that as well - flicked through but not read properly

i havent been brave enough to count up yet, but problem is we have so many book shelves upstairs landing, downstairs hall, DS bedroom, DD bedroom and the main unread stash of mine is the spare bed room. i think to start with ill just count that as the 'kids' books i want to read ill read hopefully at some point with the kids like the harry potter ones. the twilight ones ill borrow off dd once i get down on my stash. i will try and do a count up tomorrow.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    I've just seen an offer on freegle for 3 bags of books, and I ignored it! Usually I reply straight away, but I don't need any more.

Has anyone found since joining this challenge that they're planning to read the shortest, easiest to read books they've got first, so they can get through a load quicker so they can get more quicker?! Or is it just me...
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm rereading wuthering heights at the minute and also reading a book by a local guy called Glenn Patterson - it's a collection of his newspaper articles. DH bought it for me for my birthday a couple of years ago :o and while I did really want to read it at the time, I'm only getting around to it now.

We're lucky and have enough space to have a library room in our house, it's lined with 9 big shelves along two walls and the room itself is a decent size sitting room. So that's a lot of space. When we moved in I thought we'd never fill them. So much for that, we're now running out of space. DH is much worse than me though, he refuses to get rid of any books, even the ones he was given and will never ever read. I get rid of any I know I won't re-read so am not quite as bad.

I have one shelf with just books that I have bought but haven't read on it. I don't know if I can say I won't buy anything again till I've read them all because a new book is often my treat to myself at an airport (I hate flying but am doing it a lot at the minute). But I would like to join and with this exception try to work my way through current books before I buy more.

Well done for starting the thread pickle!

• Bex37 wrote: »
    I'm in the mood for a light read now so I eventually decided on Practically Perfect by Katie Fforde.

I like Katie Fforde for light reading, and her heroines aren't always slim and conventionally beautiful either. I have lost my copy of Rose Revived, which always makes me feel guilty about not cleaning enough.

Have got to remember that some of the books I haven't read are listed on GreenMetropolis, so if I do read them I've got to be careful with them. Their standards are VERY high.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • niccatwniccatw Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Ames - that hadn't occurred to me until right there! Now I will!

I did pick back up my copy of "Madame Sadayakko: the Geisha who Seduced the West" last night though. I'd been side-tracked by The Boy is Striped Pyjamas, The Reader and Empress Orchid - all of which I loved. Liking Madame Sadayakko too, it's just taking me longer!

I'm hoping this challenge will help me get around to reading a couple of Tolstoy books I've meant to get around to reading for many years :)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    *is jealous of Belfastgirl* I'd love a library. I've got a huge hallway and got some shelves, but dad pointed out that on one wall it'd be too dangerous (the hallway narrows there), so I'm thinking of having the computer area in the hallway, and a library bit in the living room. Although to be honest, the entire flat could be said to be a library, cos I've got bookcases everywhere! I can't wait till they sort the damp and mould problem cos then I've got a whole wall in the bedroom spare for things!
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    Ooh, I read the Reader over the weekend! And I love Russian literature, haven't read enough Tolstoy though, only Anna Karenina. I got halfway through War and Peace but had to give it up to concentrate on studying, hopefully I can pick up where I left off. The Geisha one sounds interesting.
  • Ames wrote: »
    I've just seen an offer on freegle for 3 bags of books, and I ignored it! Usually I reply straight away, but I don't need any more.

Has anyone found since joining this challenge that they're planning to read the shortest, easiest to read books they've got first, so they can get through a load quicker so they can get more quicker?! Or is it just me...

It had crossed my mind Ames!
    Debt at LBM (May 2007) - £32,891
    Debt at 06.04.10 - £9158.57. Getting there slowly. :j

April NSD 1/12
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    Great minds think alike!

I've even put this challenge in my sig, hopefully that'll help keep me on the straight and narrow!