Options

Comments

• niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I loved Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey

It's one of my many unread books and now has tow recommendations... it'll have to move up the pile methinks :D
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    Books from my past that I still have are Enid Blyton's Malory Towers Series and The Twins At St.Clares.

PS, since my addiction to MSE I don't read half as much as I used to.:(

I know just what you mean about the MSE addiction- I am now also trying to fit in reading books and many diaries!

I loved Malory Towers and St Clares. And who wrote the books about about a scool where they played tennis? Maybe Trebizon was in the title? My all time favourite though were The Chalet School books - I really hope my mum still has themall in the loft (the Enid Blyton ones were originally hers so they have the smell I like even better than a new book - an old book :D)

The book I currently picked up to reread... The Money Diet :D Any-one know who wrote that ;)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • franby64
    Options
    Morning - can I join you please? I pledge not to buy any more books this year!

We have about 5 bookcases full of books some of which I wouldn't part with, many of which I haven't read and the rest which probably need to go.

My problem is that I grew up in a house with loads of books and for a long time I thought this was how it should be - but it just doesn't fit with our storage needs now. I feel a bit ashamed to say that at the moment we need our bookcases and shelves more for DVD's and games etc than for books :o. The only one of my kids who is a reader is DD1 and I've realised that she is going to choose her own books to read so it's probably not worth keeping everything I have just on the off-chance that she may want to read it.

Also I have the unread book problem and recently I've decided that it is better to get a book out of the library - READ IT - and take it back than have loads of unread/old books taking up valuable storage space. It seems to be the books that I buy new at full price that I don't read!

So now I've got over the guilt of not wanting a home which is a Library I shall have a sort out. The first book I'm going to read, borrowed from my Mum, is Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser - this one will keep me going for a while!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, really enjoyed it - and it was great to learn about the Masonic history of America. I studied Art History so the revelations in Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code weren't really that new to me but this time it was fascinating.

So, back to Wuthering Heights now! I did buy a book in a second hand book shop yesterday but more as a collectors item - it's a book about Barcelona written in the 50s and was only £1. I'm very interested in the history of Spain so it'll be interesting to read about Barcelona as a tourist spot while it was still under Franco's regime!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Aspiring_Writer
    Aspiring_Writer Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2010 at 11:39AM
    Options
    Morning All,

I read Linwood Barclay's Too Close To Home on Friday! almost in one go, superb read. Definitely buy his debut novel now. But my post is really to ask if anyone has read or is reading 'Night Train To Lisbon' by Pascal Mercier? I started it on Saturday, and am on page 217 so nearly halfway. I'm enjoying it broadly speaking but parts of it are a bit heavy going...

Apologies Inapickle, I'm not helping am I? Buying new books, I bought 3 actually, Harlan Coben's 'Long Lost' is the third...

I know I know...I'm not the Messiah...
    "If you are going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 February 2010 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Hey all,

Have just finished 'The Code of the Woosters' by P.G. Wodehouse. I have just started 'It's Different for Girls' by Jo Brand (I'm going through my trashy phase! ;)). I have just returned 5 other books to the library as I got loads of the Wodehouse out on loan, but have started to overdose on them and don't want to stop enjoying them (as I rather unfortunately did with 'The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy' by reading them one after the other.)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• bex37_2
    bex37_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    niccatw wrote: »
    I know just what you mean about the MSE addiction- I am now also trying to fit in reading books and many diaries!

I loved Malory Towers and St Clares. And who wrote the books about about a scool where they played tennis? Maybe Trebizon was in the title? My all time favourite though were The Chalet School books - I really hope my mum still has themall in the loft (the Enid Blyton ones were originally hers so they have the smell I like even better than a new book - an old book :D)

The book I currently picked up to reread... The Money Diet :D Any-one know who wrote that ;)

I think the Trebizon books were written by Anne Digby, I loved these and the Malory Towers and St Clares books too. I think I've still got them all somewhere!
    Debt at LBM (May 2007) - £32,891
    Debt at 06.04.10 - £9158.57. Getting there slowly. :j

April NSD 1/12
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bex37 wrote: »
    I think the Trebizon books were written by Anne Digby, I loved these and the Malory Towers and St Clares books too. I think I've still got them all somewhere!

Me too! And I loved 'The Five Find-Outers' books as well. :D Happy days!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• saskia1
    saskia1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    hi all

just had to post as this thread was made for me!!!

i USED to buy books - ohh on average 4/5 a week? Hardback didn't matter - if it looked good i bought it!

but since being on a dmp - crikey has that changed!! i now use the library an awful lot - re read old books and borrow books werever i can.

but i work opposite a massive Waterstones and just have to pop in most lunchtimes to see what is there - almost feel like crying when i see my fav authors books - i then just make a list and work out on each payday what i can buy!

i used to do the readitswap it site but as i read so much - there was never a book i wnated to swap with!

i read anything - - my all time fav is Wuthering Heights but am also a avid reader of 'chick lit' / crime novels - as my mum says - ''so long as you are reading it doesn't matter what your read'' !!!

so fellow readers - please let me join this club!!
    sas x
    Massive !! LBM June 09 - Debts [STRIKE]£70k [/STRIKE]:eek: now £63k (PPI Claim succesfull)

will never ever ever get credit again (couldn't if i wanted!!!! - LOL - have to laugh, keeps me sane.

DFD 9 years away......................
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK so it won't be Wuthering Heights next as I've just taken The Lost Symbol back to the library and another book I'd reserved was available - 'Cocktails for Three' by Madeleine Wickham - aka Sophie Kinsella!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback