Options

Comments

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    macpep1 wrote: »
    Hi All :wave:

I am getting excited now, I have finished my itinerary, its taken a long time if anyone has any tweaks let me know, Monday 08/05/17

Arrive at JFK 12:45
    Clear Customs, collect luggage
    Take Airtrain from JFK Terminal 8 to Jamaica Street Station (10 min journey)
    From the kiosk buy the 7 day MTA ticket ($32)
    LIRR train to Penn station
    Walk 2 mins (South) to hotel.
    Arrive Approximately 3-4pm
    Get familiarised & unpacked, happy hour @ hotel
    Take a walk around
    Scottys Diner for a bite to eat
    Bed (see how we feel)!!

You can't use the MTA ticket on the LIRR, it's $7:50, off peak, at the station or $14 if you buy on the train. For max value use the MTA card on the E train from Jamaica/Sutphin Blvd to 34thSt-Penn station, takes 10-20 mins longer but saves $15 return.
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    if you are taking a subway downtown you will going away from 59th not going towards it, you want to head uptown.

one of my NY staples, if you are having starters/salads be aware they are big enough for two, i highly recommend the train wreck fries.

Personally i would be going up TOTR about 45mins before sun down and stay up there to see Manhattan light up, its quite magical and even after all my trips i still love the sight

Dont forget when shopping in Macys and Bloomingdales you can get a discount card as an out of towner, in bloomingdales head to any customer service point and in macys you need to head to the customer service dept which is on floor 1.5 which if you are on the ground floor is opposite the starbucks, which is up a set of stairs, just take your passport along and you will get a voucher for 10% almost anything instore.
    Thank you, that's why I posted, I knew there may be a few things

I wont be getting a starter if the portions are that big, I will be sure to try the fries :D

The view sounds bliss, we will do the shopping first then to TOTR, I am petrified of heights so hoping I will be ok :eek:

I got a 15% for MAcys in my NYC Explorer booklet, didn't know about the bloomingdales one, I am not planning on buying anything, I am a woman who actually hates shopping, I must fall into a very small category :D
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    You can't use the MTA ticket on the LIRR, it's $7:50, off peak, at the station or $14 if you buy on the train. For max value use the MTA card on the E train from Jamaica/Sutphin Blvd to 34thSt-Penn station, takes 10-20 mins longer but saves $15 return.

Thanks, I already had the Jamaica/Sutphin Blvd on my itinerary but when in trying to get estimated travel times, I saw the one with LIRR on it & it seemed easier so I changed it, should have trusted you first time round :o
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunno if it helps but another vote for totr!My brother and i did it on our first trip back in 2015 and when we went last year we did the empire state building but in our opinion totr was the better of the 2!
    As phatbear has said going before sun down would be fantastic!

After reading your itinerary-macpep1 it has made me wanan plan another trip to new york!

Central park is wonderful ! unsure if you or your partner are smokers but my brother lit up a cigar and was happily smoking it til a lady said "sir you realise you cannot smoke in central park?"
    I think there is also an area in times sqaure that you cannot smoke as well so beware.

a bit of a warning as well there seems to be a thing about some guys trying to offer *free cd's*which i assume were music cd's and they try to talk to you. My brother and i both felt a tad intimadated in regards this as we said "no thank you" and these gents went on on on (they said things like is it cos I am black?-i am not a drug dealer) and they followed us for a lil bit, but please do not react to them , if you feel threantered maybe hop into a bar or if you are near a police officer maybe speak to one of them!

hope this helps
  • macpep1
    Options
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    dunno if it helps but another vote for totr!My brother and i did it on our first trip back in 2015 and when we went last year we did the empire state building but in our opinion totr was the better of the 2!
    As phatbear has said going before sun down would be fantastic!

After reading your itinerary-macpep1 it has made me wanan plan another trip to new york!

Central park is wonderful ! unsure if you or your partner are smokers but my brother lit up a cigar and was happily smoking it til a lady said "sir you realise you cannot smoke in central park?"
    I think there is also an area in times sqaure that you cannot smoke as well so beware.

a bit of a warning as well there seems to be a thing about some guys trying to offer *free cd's*which i assume were music cd's and they try to talk to you. My brother and i both felt a tad intimadated in regards this as we said "no thank you" and these gents went on on on (they said things like is it cos I am black?-i am not a drug dealer) and they followed us for a lil bit, but please do not react to them , if you feel threantered maybe hop into a bar or if you are near a police officer maybe speak to one of them!

hope this helps

Thanks for that, I will be sure to look out for these people, I tend to just completely ignore them & walk past them, neither of us are smokers so we don't have to worry about that. My itinerary has taken ages between google maps, trip advisor for reviews & reading things on here, I am a bit daunted by the size of it & getting about on the subway etc but I have a tongue in my head, I can always ask if I am lost, my hubby wont ask for directions :rotfl:
    Long Term Flylady
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The view sounds bliss, we will do the shopping first then to TOTR, I am petrified of heights so hoping I will be ok :eek:

I hate heights too however im ok with stable things, ie im ok in buildings but cant handle cable cars.

If you intend to get up there for sun down make sure you are there in plenty of time as its probably the busiest time to go up TOTR but trust me its well worth it.

I got a 15% for MAcys in my NYC Explorer booklet, didn't know about the bloomingdales one, I am not planning on buying anything, I am a woman who actually hates shopping, I must fall into a very small category

Im in a small category too of men who actually like shopping as i justify the expense of the holiday on saving money on levis/ralph lauren polos.

I personally dislike bloomingdales and only ever go there as i often get requests to bring back "little brown bags" for colleagues.

You had a couple of spaces for food on your schedule may i suggest trying "the spotted pig" which is Lower East Side (LES) its the site of the 2nd best burger ive ever had, and i think its now got a michelin star, im also quite suprised you aren't doing katz deli, i find it over hyped but its sooooo famous i assumed everyone went there on their first visit?

You mention a potential broadway show if you want last minute tickets try the "tkts" booth however there are two one in times square that is always crazy busy and one at south sea port, which is just around the corner from the world trade site/wall street, oh and as an aside if you are into abercrombie and fitch clothes, and dont want to queue up to get in like you do on 5th ave, theres a store down at southsea port too
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    edited 25 April 2017 at 6:59PM
    Options
    I'm not a fan of heights, but TOTR has a low wall (which was at least mid way up my body) on top of which the glass panels rest, so you don't have that sensation of standing next to a sheer drop.

As for the shopping, my son and I went to NY just before Christmas, and found that the clothing he wanted was actually cheaper to buy online in the UK. So we didn't end up filling either of the 2 extra suitcases we took with us for the express purpose of getting goods cheaper in NY than in the UK. If you know what you want to buy in NY it would be a good idea to research the prices in the UK before you go so that you know whether or not you are in fact getting a bargain. Of if like me you are with 3 mobile, and have a decent data allowance, you can check the prices whilst you are out and about in NY.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • macpep1
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    If you intend to get up there for sun down make sure you are there in plenty of time as its probably the busiest time to go up TOTR but trust me its well worth it.
    Thanks for that I will be sure to check what time sun down is :D

You had a couple of spaces for food on your schedule may i suggest trying "the spotted pig" which is Lower East Side (LES) its the site of the 2nd best burger ive ever had, and i think its now got a michelin star, im also quite suprised you aren't doing katz deli, i find it over hyped but its sooooo famous i assumed everyone went there on their first visit?
    Where did you have your 1st best burger then? I have never heard of Katz Deli, I really am a total NYC novice :D
    You mention a potential broadway show if you want last minute tickets try the "tkts" booth however there are two one in times square that is always crazy busy and one at south sea port, which is just around the corner from the world trade site/wall street, oh and as an aside if you are into abercrombie and fitch clothes, and dont want to queue up to get in like you do on 5th ave, theres a store down at southsea port too

We aren't really into Broadway shows so will see how hubby feels. (I have totally forgotten how to do the multi quote thing) :rotfl:
    Long Term Flylady
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I am getting excited now, I have finished my itinerary, its taken a long time if anyone has any tweaks let me know, I have $1300 dollars to spend so hope that is enough, I am putting £500 on the fairfx card as well which I can convert to $ if need be, we got a 5 item explorer pass for £94 each, I have already booked the food on foot tour to ensure we got it.

Monday 08/05/17

Take a walk around
    Bed (see how we feel)!!

Tuesday 09/05/17 (B subway downtown from 34th St@ Herald Sq Stn to 59th St St Columbus Circle)
    Dakota Building
    Strawberry Fields
    Lunch at Loeb Boathouse
    American Museum of Natural History
    Spend a few hours in Central Park
    Back to hotel to freshen up then Dinner @ Limon Jungle

Wednesday 10/05/17
    Meet Jay our New York Greeter 10am in Hotel Lobby (finish 1pm @ 65th & Madison Avenue)
    Food on Foot Tour (Meet at Penn St Station on 34th St 2:30 pm)
    Both do-able on one day, greeter in the morning, tour in afternoon, that covers lunch.
    Subway uptown back to hotel
    Dinner @ ??

Thursday 11/05/17 (From 34th Street Penn Stn take New Lots Ave bound 3 train to Wall Street, walk 6 mins to ferry)
    SoL & Ellis Island Ferry Tour
    9/11 Memorial
    Lunch @ O’Hara’s (120 Cedar St)
    Wall Street
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Virgils for dinner? (Times Square)

Friday 12th May
    Top of the Rock
    Bloomingdales
    Macys
    Sephora
    Ruths Chris Steak House (New Jersey Happy hour 4-7pm) NJ Transit Bus from Port Authority (158 toward FORT LEE MED WEST, arrive at harbour 15 minutes later)
    West 51st Street in NYC if you don’t want to go to NJ (No happy hour)

Saturday 13th May
    Flatiron Building
    Slate Pool Bar (Have lunch in here)
    Dinner @ Trattoria Trecolori (W 47th St) via E 38th St
    Broadway Show?
    Times Square

Sunday 14th May
    Walk around Greenwich Village
    Beckford Street (Friends Building)
    Lunch in High Line Park
    Madison Square Gardens

Monday 15th May
    Pack & Check out by 12 noon
    Last minute shopping
    Head to Airport around 3:30

You're Thursday is pretty busy, where as the Friday / Saturday / Sunday seem quite empty.

I know you're trying to group things together in the same location but I'd definitely move something from Thursday to another day.

We spent about 4.5 hours in the 9/11 museum, there's so much to see and take in you don't want to rush it. Are you actually stopping off at SOL and Ellis island of just going on the ferry to see them? If stopping off at both I'd give yourself the same amount of time again.

Perhaps its worth doing these on separate days?

For the Brooklyn bridge i would recommend getting the subway to Brooklyn and walking back over the bridge towards Manhattan. The views are great that way.

Also - if you have some time and the weather is nice we went to Coney Island for a few hours and really enjoyed it. Was lovely just to sit on the beach and get some sunshine after the hustle and bustle of the city

Either way - hope you have a brilliant time. I've been 4 times now and would still love to go back again!
  • macpep1
    Options
    CM66 wrote: »
    You're Thursday is pretty busy, where as the Friday / Saturday / Sunday seem quite empty.

I know you're trying to group things together in the same location but I'd definitely move something from Thursday to another day.

We spent about 4.5 hours in the 9/11 museum, there's so much to see and take in you don't want to rush it. Are you actually stopping off at SOL and Ellis island of just going on the ferry to see them? If stopping off at both I'd give yourself the same amount of time again.

Perhaps its worth doing these on separate days? I may end up doing that, I was struggling to fill in the last few days

For the Brooklyn bridge i would recommend getting the subway to Brooklyn and walking back over the bridge towards Manhattan. The views are great that way. That would mean I would actually have to walk over the bridge, I cant even drive over a bridge with water under it, I told my hubby I was going to conquer my fear in NYC by walking over the Brooklyn Bridge but he doesn't think I can do it so we shall wait & see

Also - if you have some time and the weather is nice we went to Coney Island for a few hours and really enjoyed it. Was lovely just to sit on the beach and get some sunshine after the hustle and bustle of the city Also an option for us as it looks like we will have some spare time

Either way - hope you have a brilliant time. I've been 4 times now and would still love to go back again!

Sorry I cannot remember how to multiquote :rotfl:
    Long Term Flylady
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I am getting excited now, I have finished my itinerary, its taken a long time if anyone has any tweaks let me know, I have $1300 dollars to spend so hope that is enough, I am putting £500 on the fairfx card as well which I can convert to $ if need be, we got a 5 item explorer pass for £94 each, I have already booked the food on foot tour to ensure we got it.

Monday 08/05/17

Take a walk around
    Bed (see how we feel)!!

Tuesday 09/05/17 (B subway downtown from 34th St@ Herald Sq Stn to 59th St St Columbus Circle)
    Dakota Building
    Strawberry Fields
    Lunch at Loeb Boathouse
    American Museum of Natural History
    Spend a few hours in Central Park
    Back to hotel to freshen up then Dinner @ Limon Jungle

Wednesday 10/05/17
    Meet Jay our New York Greeter 10am in Hotel Lobby (finish 1pm @ 65th & Madison Avenue)
    Food on Foot Tour (Meet at Penn St Station on 34th St 2:30 pm)
    Both do-able on one day, greeter in the morning, tour in afternoon, that covers lunch.
    Subway uptown back to hotel
    Dinner @ ??

Thursday 11/05/17 (From 34th Street Penn Stn take New Lots Ave bound 3 train to Wall Street, walk 6 mins to ferry)
    SoL & Ellis Island Ferry Tour
    9/11 Memorial
    Lunch @ O’Hara’s (120 Cedar St)
    Wall Street
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Virgils for dinner? (Times Square)

Friday 12th May
    Top of the Rock
    Bloomingdales
    Macys
    Sephora
    Ruths Chris Steak House (New Jersey Happy hour 4-7pm) NJ Transit Bus from Port Authority (158 toward FORT LEE MED WEST, arrive at harbour 15 minutes later)
    West 51st Street in NYC if you don’t want to go to NJ (No happy hour)

Saturday 13th May
    Flatiron Building
    Slate Pool Bar (Have lunch in here)
    Dinner @ Trattoria Trecolori (W 47th St) via E 38th St
    Broadway Show?
    Times Square

Sunday 14th May
    Walk around Greenwich Village
    Beckford Street (Friends Building)
    Lunch in High Line Park
    Madison Square Gardens

Monday 15th May
    Pack & Check out by 12 noon
    Last minute shopping
    Head to Airport around 3:30

You have decided to get the subway to central park on Tuesday ( for Dakota Building,Strawberryfields ) you will probably find that you wake up about 3.00am due to the time difference ( i know we did ) but if you are up early you could walk up to Cental Park from your hotel and get breakfast on the way,this way you will see more of NY.
    Enjoy your trip.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure