Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Cabs in NYC are very good value, particularly with the fixed price between JFK and Manhattan. If it's your first visit, take a cab (assuming you are flying into JFK). Its worth it if only for your first view of the Manhattan skyline when approaching from Queens.

that's good to know, we are trying to estimate how much dollars to take with us and had heard taxi's were very expensive.

How much would a taxi from JFK to the Dumont Afiinia in Manhattan be at an estimate?
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    1trainer1 wrote: »
    How much would a taxi from JFK to the Dumont Afiinia in Manhattan be at an estimate?
    Here's a comparison of the various options:
    https://www.rome2rio.com/s/New-York-JFK-Airport-JFK/150-E-34th-St-New-York-NY-10016-USA
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    1trainer1 wrote: »
    that's good to know, we are trying to estimate how much dollars to take with us and had heard taxi's were very expensive.

I'd say $70. $52.50 plus tolls ($5.76 for the Queens Mid Town Tunnel) and tip.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/taxicab_rate_yellow.shtml
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Cabs in NYC are very good value, particularly with the fixed price between JFK and Manhattan. If it's your first visit, take a cab (assuming you are flying into JFK). Its worth it if only for your first view of the Manhattan skyline when approaching from Queens.

The cheapest I could find was a shuttle ride for $81.20 return, to The Shelburne Affinia Hotel. We are getting the 7 day MTA pass for $32 which we can use on the subway as well regardless of what mode of transport I use from the airport, guess I am just miserable :rotfl: I fully plan to make good use of the public transport links.
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    Options
    macpep1 wrote: »
    The cheapest I could find was a shuttle ride for $81.20 return, to The Shelburne Affinia Hotel. We are getting the 7 day MTA pass for $32 which we can use on the subway as well regardless of what mode of transport I use from the airport, guess I am just miserable :rotfl: I fully plan to make good use of the public transport links.

From JFK the subway works really well, Airtrain for $5 then use the 7day unlimited card into Manhatten, all your NYC transport and airport transfers for $42 money saving at it's best.

There's a little station kiosk at Jamaica station as you leave the Airtrain, they sell metro cards, buy them there and you're all set.
  • macpep1
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    From JFK the subway works really well, Airtrain for $5 then use the 7day unlimited card into Manhatten, all your NYC transport and airport transfers for $42 money saving at it's best.

There's a little station kiosk at Jamaica station as you leave the Airtrain, they sell metro cards, buy them there and you're all set.

Thank you for that information, that's great, do you just pay on the $5 on the Airtrain then or do you need to buy a ticket somewhere?
    Long Term Flylady
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2017 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Thank you for that information, that's great, do you just pay on the $5 on the Airtrain then or do you need to buy a ticket somewhere?

You pay at the end of the line, Jamaica or Howard Beach, you can ride the Airtrain for free all day but have to pay the $5 to get through the barriers as you leave at the above stations and again to get onto the station on the way home.

Again you can buy the Airtrain ticket from the kiosk or one of the ticket machines at the gates. If you buy from the kiosk you don't have to pay the $1 new card fee. It's all very efficient and the staff were really helpful.
  • macpep1
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    You pay at the end of the line, Jamaica or Howard Beach, you can ride the Airtrain for free all day but have to pay the $5 to get through the barriers as you leave at the above stations and again to get onto the station on the way home.

Again you can buy the Airtrain ticket from the kiosk or one of the ticket machines at the gates. If you buy from the kiosk you don't have to pay the $1 new card fee. It's all very efficient and the staff were really helpful.

Thanks for the info, all these little things will save a lot of time, my hubby has taken nothing to do with planning, he said he will just go with the flow but I cannot do that :eek: I am about to start the dreaded itinerary, I have already been onto google maps & dropped my pins so wish me luck
    Long Term Flylady
  • macpep1
    Options
    Hi All :wave:

I am getting excited now, I have finished my itinerary, its taken a long time if anyone has any tweaks let me know, I have $1300 dollars to spend so hope that is enough, I am putting £500 on the fairfx card as well which I can convert to $ if need be, we got a 5 item explorer pass for £94 each, I have already booked the food on foot tour to ensure we got it.

Monday 08/05/17

Arrive at JFK 12:45
    Clear Customs, collect luggage
    Take Airtrain from JFK Terminal 8 to Jamaica Street Station (10 min journey)
    From the kiosk buy the 7 day MTA ticket ($32)
    LIRR train to Penn station
    Walk 2 mins (South) to hotel.
    Arrive Approximately 3-4pm
    Get familiarised & unpacked, happy hour @ hotel
    Take a walk around
    Scottys Diner for a bite to eat
    Bed (see how we feel)!!

Tuesday 09/05/17 (B subway downtown from 34th St@ Herald Sq Stn to 59th St St Columbus Circle)
    Dakota Building
    Strawberry Fields
    Lunch at Loeb Boathouse
    American Museum of Natural History
    Spend a few hours in Central Park
    Back to hotel to freshen up then Dinner @ Limon Jungle

Wednesday 10/05/17
    Meet Jay our New York Greeter 10am in Hotel Lobby (finish 1pm @ 65th & Madison Avenue)
    Food on Foot Tour (Meet at Penn St Station on 34th St 2:30 pm)
    Both do-able on one day, greeter in the morning, tour in afternoon, that covers lunch.
    Subway uptown back to hotel
    Dinner @ ??

Thursday 11/05/17 (From 34th Street Penn Stn take New Lots Ave bound 3 train to Wall Street, walk 6 mins to ferry)
    SoL & Ellis Island Ferry Tour
    9/11 Memorial
    Lunch @ O’Hara’s (120 Cedar St)
    Wall Street
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Virgils for dinner? (Times Square)

Friday 12th May
    Top of the Rock
    Bloomingdales
    Macys
    Sephora
    Ruths Chris Steak House (New Jersey Happy hour 4-7pm) NJ Transit Bus from Port Authority (158 toward FORT LEE MED WEST, arrive at harbour 15 minutes later)
    West 51st Street in NYC if you don’t want to go to NJ (No happy hour)

Saturday 13th May
    Flatiron Building
    Slate Pool Bar (Have lunch in here)
    Dinner @ Trattoria Trecolori (W 47th St) via E 38th St
    Broadway Show?
    Times Square

Sunday 14th May
    Walk around Greenwich Village
    Beckford Street (Friends Building)
    Lunch in High Line Park
    Madison Square Gardens

Monday 15th May
    Pack & Check out by 12 noon
    Last minute shopping
    Head to Airport around 3:30
    Long Term Flylady
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Tuesday 09/05/17 (B subway downtown from 34th St@ Herald Sq Stn to 59th St St Columbus Circle)

if you are taking a subway downtown you will going away from 59th not going towards it, you want to head uptown.

Virgils for dinner? (Times Square)

one of my NY staples, if you are having starters/salads be aware they are big enough for two, i highly recommend the train wreck fries.

Friday 12th May
    Top of the Rock
    Bloomingdales
    Macys

Personally i would be going up TOTR about 45mins before sun down and stay up there to see Manhattan light up, its quite magical and even after all my trips i still love the sight

Dont forget when shopping in Macys and Bloomingdales you can get a discount card as an out of towner, in bloomingdales head to any customer service point and in macys you need to head to the customer service dept which is on floor 1.5 which if you are on the ground floor is opposite the starbucks, which is up a set of stairs, just take your passport along and you will get a voucher for 10% almost anything instore.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport