Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been twice in December/January and it really can get extremely cold and very unpleasant. Never again. The best time of year I've been was early May. I plan to go one October for my next trip.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • ince_mon
    ince_mon Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a 3 day pass you can use on the subway? I'm there in Nov for 3 nts,after visiting San Francisco and Vegas for 3 each. Was in New York last April when we got the 7 day subway ticket,which i hammered during our 6 nts.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ince_mon wrote: »
    Is there a 3 day pass you can use on the subway? I'm there in Nov for 3 nts,after visiting San Francisco and Vegas for 3 each. Was in New York last April when we got the 7 day subway ticket,which i hammered during our 6 nts.

No 3 day subway card, so you can either top up a metro card as you need or get a 7 day card. I believe that 13 trips is the break even point.
  • ince_mon
    Options
    Last April,Myself,wife and daughter were in New York,we got a group ESTA. This time round,daughter isn't travelling with us,can we still use the group ESTA,(still in 2 yr period)or do we need to get new ones?
  • ince_mon
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    No 3 day subway card, so you can either top up a metro card as you need or get a 7 day card. I believe that 13 trips is the break even point.

What if we got a 7 day pass to share,or is there a time delay after one of us has used it?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 4 April 2017 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Last April,Myself,wife and daughter were in New York,we got a group ESTA. This time round,daughter isn't travelling with us,can we still use the group ESTA,(still in 2 yr period)or do we need to get new ones?

One person applied for a group of people. You each individually have ESTAs. You can travel collectively or individually. The advantage of applying for a group of ESTAs at the same time is that one person can sort it all out for the entire group. It's just convenience. It's actually a group of (3) ESTAs rather than a "group esta", and if you log on with the group number you will see each individual has their own unique application number.

Edit:
    Applying as a group allows up to a maximum of 50 applications to be paid with a single payment. The persons in the group are not required to travel together.
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e2s1
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What if we got a 7 day pass to share,or is there a time delay after one of us has used it?

If you buy a standard ticket and load money onto it, 2 people can share it. So you can use it to go through the gate and pass it back to your companion for them to use. Then 2 trips are deducted from the ticket.

This is what my wife and I did last year.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    Options

There is a time delay on unlimited ride cards, as HoofeHearted said adding cash to a standard card allows "passing back"
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Options
    Am getting nervous now, it will be 4 weeks on 10th April until we go, I am still undecided about the City Pass, it will cost around £90 each via viator for this. We have requested a New York Greeter but its still not confirmed, they will leave a message at our hotel if they cannot find us one. I fully plan on making use of the subway & local transport. I am not getting a cab from the airport I am going to take the train as suggested previously. When I looked up the weather in May, it can be anything from 4-35 degrees.
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    macpep1 wrote: »
    I am not getting a cab from the airport I am going to take the train as suggested previously.

Cabs in NYC are very good value, particularly with the fixed price between JFK and Manhattan. If it's your first visit, take a cab (assuming you are flying into JFK). Its worth it if only for your first view of the Manhattan skyline when approaching from Queens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure