PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In my slow cooker today.... part 2

Options

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has a disater in mine yesterday! I was looking forward to a lovley sausage casserrole and it totally dried out! Couldn't work it out as I put in lots of liquid. The only thing I can think of is that I used red lentils for the first time and I think they may have sucked up all the water! Has anyone else encountered this?

Yes, I have had exactly this problem, and add only half a cup or (or slightly more) of lentils to my "creations". I find that orange or red lentils gobble up the liquid (because they absorb it, then swell up) more than brown or Puy lentils.
    Did your mixture end up sticking to the sides of the slow cooker, sort of caramelising? You should be able to salvage it (unless you have already eaten it), by simply adding more stock, or maybe a tin of chopped tomatoes.
    Andy
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has anyone got a good recipie for a nice chicken curry?

I tend to use the slow cooker mostly for cooking curries, so here goes.
    I like to use mainly de-skinned chicken legs or thighs in the slow cooker, because they have the most flavoursome meat.
    4 chicken legs or 6 chicken thighs
    1 large onion roughly chopped
    5 cloves garlic crushed/finely chopped
    2 tablespoons sunflower/vegetable oil
    1 - 2 teaspoons hot Chilli powder (depending how hot you like it)
    3 teaspoons Tandoori Masala powder
    1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
    1 tin chopped Tomatoes
    1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    2 teaspoons Sugar
    1 handful chopped fresh Coriander
    2 carrots finely diced
    1 cup frozen peas
    In a large pan, gently fry the onions and garlic in the oil until golden. Add the spices and stir well, not allowing them to burn or stick. Add the chicken thighs and coat them with the spice mix, and fry them until they start to get brown/golden. When they are sealed, transfer this mixture to a large pot, add the chopped tomatoes and simmer on the hob. In the pan, turn the heat down and add the carrots and peas, adding a little boiling water to release the spices, and deglaze the pan.
    Add these ingredients to the pot, then add the sugar, lemon juice and chopped coriander. Check the consistency, if it is too runny then add some tomato puree or maybe a handful of lentils. If it is too thick, then add a little boiling water.
    Put the slow cooker on high for 15 minutes, and keep the mixture on the hob simmering (a rolling boil is the cheffy term).
    Transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker, and leave on high for four hours, or look at you manual to check for other cooking times.
    This recipe cam also be used with chunks of boned leg of lamb, braising steak or spicy meatballs.

Bon apetit

Andy
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Has a disater in mine yesterday! I was looking forward to a lovley sausage casserrole and it totally dried out! Couldn't work it out as I put in lots of liquid. The only thing I can think of is that I used red lentils for the first time and I think they may have sucked up all the water! Has anyone else encountered this?

I've not had it with lentils yet, as I only add approx 3/4 cup max. I have had that with dried broth mix, (which consisted of mixed pulses). I only now put a handful in as it can go thick and gloopy with too much.
  • nuttyrockeress
    Options
    Nothing in mine either today however I may well prepare a stew for tomorrow as DSS is going to football tomorrow and I imagine will be

a, freezing
    b, starving

Delete as appropriate.........

I need to look to see what I can do for next week, must get back to meal planning!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • Lilium
    Lilium Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Nothing today but the veggie soup I made yesterday was a hit...DH loved it. Shopping was delivered today so now have everything to make a chicken curry and a veggie curry next week.
  • hansonwa
    hansonwa Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Today& to freeze chicken Curry -
    Chicken cubed
    2 peppers large chunks
    1 onion
    handfull mushrooms
    1 tin chopped toms
    2 jar jalfrezi
    Prep 10 mins, cooked on high for 5 hours, then Low untill we are ready to eat. Yum

Tommorow Pork in Cider
    pork cubed
    1 onion
    2 apples peeled & diced
    1 bottle magners
    pork casserol sachet
    1 oxo cube
    3 bay leaves
    carrots optional as many as few as you lke I just rough chop mine in cirlcles.

I Try to make enough each time to freeze batch or two.

Love my Slow cooker use it more then my oven these days:o
  • nichart20
    nichart20 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    I am having a chicken burger tonight but tomorrow I am making......

Burgundy beef stew with horseradish dumplings
    2 tsp olive oil
    750g brasing beef
    1 large onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 tsp of plain flour
    300ml burgundy red wine
    300ml beef stock
    1 tsp tomato puree
    2 bay leaves
    150g carrots
    250g leeks
    salt and pepper

horseradish dumplings
    150g self rasing flour
    75g shredded suet
    2tsp creamed horseradish
    tsp chopped chives
    5-7 tsp water
    salt and pepper

My fist time making this so fingers crossed turns out ok :p
  • nikinackyloo
    Options
    nichart20 - thats sounds lovely please let us know how you get on

nothing in mine today - did an M&S gammon joint yesterday in apple juice ( thanks to whoever mentioned using that) it was lovely. having the remainder of the meat in spaghetti carbonara today and if there is any left will stick it back in the SC with some veg and dried peas and do a soup;)
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

nothing in mine today - did an M&S gammon joint yesterday in apple juice ( thanks to whoever mentioned using that) it was lovely.

If you figure out who mentioned do say so I can thank them also? I cooked a huge ham in apple juice in the slow cooker this week for the first time too. It ended up in the halogen oven to glaze. The cooking liquid is in the freezer for a batch of soup later.

It was the most tender ham we've ever had :-)

Mands
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Chilli today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts